Fix The Ducks

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
So, our Ducks continue to struggle. Sometimes, it seems there is so little going right and so much going wrong.

Let's all share our ideas on how to fix the Ducks. Be it players, strategy, coaching, etc.

To be fair, try your best to be realistic. For example, chances of trading Hagelin are most likely slim to none.

And no way we trade Stoner for Crosby or something.

Discuss away!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
idk, never dealt with the black magic

PS
Maybe we sold our soul (Palmieri) to the Devil(s)?

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
How about show some heart....

I agree. I feel it starts with our leadership group. I am concerned Getzlaf has a little too much of a relaxed attitude, Kesler seems to just get angry. I think we are missing Frankie when it comes to that sort of leadership.

Any players that we could acquire to help address it?

idk, never dealt with the black magic

PS
Maybe we sold our soul (Palmieri) to the Devil(s)?

Haha. I certainly miss Palmieri currently, and even Beleskey. And now Wagner. Hate to rip on Bob, but man, some bad pluses/subtractions dating back to last season.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
nothing gets fixed until getz/perry/kesler play as they should....dont care what moves you make it will still look the same

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
The best players need to not be the worst players first.

Baby steps.

Sadly, with the depth playing like it is, I don't think baby steps are enough at the moment. No Palms, Beauch, or Belesky and frankly, no Silf. And now we don't have Wagner (not a great player, but at least he cared). This team isn't going anywhere unless the big guys are. But I do agree, we need to see some babysteps from them. Not to dig up the past, but Getz and Perry have been frustrating for me since last season. Whenever it's a big situation, Getz seems to get completely outclassed, it's getting annoying. And the PP too, what the hell is going on there?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Sadly, with the depth playing like it is, I don't think baby steps are enough at the moment. No Palms, Beauch, or Belesky and frankly, no Silf. And now we don't have Wagner (not a great player, but at least he cared). This team isn't going anywhere unless the big guys are. But I do agree, we need to see some babysteps from them. Not to dig up the past, but Getz and Perry have been frustrating for me since last season. Whenever it's a big situation, Getz seems to get completely outclassed, it's getting annoying. And the PP too, what the hell is going on there?

Yeah, I was being tongue in cheek. The thing is that they frequently are the worst on the ice, and that's not going to work at all. We can make the playoffs if they aren't an embarrassment on the ice, but that's it unless they get back to best on the ice.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I was thinking about starting a new thread, but this one might do too.

What about the second periods? Why are we so bad? I had a few thoughts but don't really have the time to do the research.

Could it be shift length and getting caught out with the long change? In that case we should look at average shift length a) as a whole and b) in the 2nd and compare it to league average. Maybe also look at goals against and how long the shift was.

How do we look at home vs on the road in the 2nd periods? If the road is better, could it be related to our rink and something about the boards? Although they did replace some things this year. Don't remember if it is just the glass or the boards too. I think it was all.

What about our advanced stats in the second periods? Do we shoot less, either in the offensive zone or overall? Someone showed a shot chart of this year vs last year and our shots were much less dangerous. Well are shots different in the second periods than the other two?

These are just a couple of ideas to get the conversation started, any ideas are welcome.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
i think this all boils down to the chemistry that they lost. when bargain bob got rid of key players after the conference finals loss to chicago, he messed up the chemistry that got us there.

i personally think he should have given the same group another crack at it before trading people away. how would that *team* learn anything if that team gets dismantled before they get another chance?

on top of that, you reassemble the team with players that don't necessarily match or improve upon the ones leaving. add to that the frustration that sets in when nothing seems to work, coupled with our second period woes, and it starts to snowball in a bad way.

they probably need something to rally behind, get a few win streaks going, and hopefully that should start turning their fortunes around. chemistry wont happen overnight, and its up to the leaders of the team to keep the rest focused so they dont get stuck in a slump.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The second period baffles the **** out of me. Almost anything you can come up with would apply to both teams. I would be curious to see our second period GF/GA when we entered the period ahead/tied/behind in conjunction with home/away. How often is the team going into a shell because they think the situation dictates it? Maybe not like the obvious third period ones, but a "take less offensive chances" shell non the less.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
The second period baffles the **** out of me. Almost anything you can come up with would apply to both teams. I would be curious to see our second period GF/GA when we entered the period ahead/tied/behind in conjunction with home/away. How often is the team going into a shell because they think the situation dictates it? Maybe not like the obvious third period ones, but a "take less offensive chances" shell non the less.

From my limited hockey knowledge, it seems that in second periods we do go more in to a "shell", but in the defensive zone. I mean it in the sense of they stop making plays to get the transition game going, and instead always make the safe dump it out play. While it's safe, many times they are unable to get a change, and the opposition just turns around and comes right back at what now is a tired group. Just my two cents.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I'm not sure the Ducks can be fixed. You can't generate chemistry and there ain't none now.

In looking back at last year and this year. I've come to the realization that maybe the team only lacked goaltending in the series against Chicago. Maybe it was Andersen and not the defense or the lack of speed. I think Murray failed to acknowledge how strong our team was and the real weakness.

John

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I think alot of it's chemistry, too... and I don't know what you can do to get that back.

Otherwise... other than trades or firing the coach... some things to try: I would take the "C" away from Getz, drop Bieska to the 3rd or 4th.. and have a few house parties so these guys can try and bond a little more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad