Five Questions With Terry O'Reilly

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
cut.jpg

NHL.com's Q&A feature called "Five Questions With …" runs each Tuesday through the 2017-18 regular season. We talk to key figures in the game and ask them questions to gain insight into their lives, careers and the latest news.

The latest edition features Boston Bruins legend Terry O'Reilly.

On Tuesday at TD Garden, Terry O'Reilly will be among the NHL-record 11 Boston Bruins who scored 20 goals during the 1977-78 season. The 11, along withy former coach Don Cherry, will be honored before the Bruins play the Calgary Flames (7 p.m. ET; TVAS, NEWS, SNW, NHL.TV).

O'Reilly, 66, is one of the most popular players ever to play for the Bruins; he was a wrecking ball on skates who ferociously defended teammates and made life miserable for opposing goaltenders. O'Reilly, who had his No. 24 retired in 2002, was and remains a huge favorite with the Bruins' blue-collar fan base.

"Taz," as he was nicknamed by teammate Phil Esposito for his whirling dervish style that resembled the Tasmanian Devil of the Looney Tunes cartoons, had a good touch around the net. When O'Reilly wasn't serving the 2,095 penalty minutes he compiled during his NHL 891 games from 1971-72 to 1984-85, he scored 606 points (204 goals, 402 assists).

O'Reilly led the Bruins in points (90), goals (29), and assists (61) -- all NHL career highs - in 1977-78, a season that fell two wins short of magical when Boston lost the Stanley Cup Final to the Montreal Canadiens in six games.

O'Reilly has many memories of his season for the ages, though no puck, stick or scoresheet in his collection to celebrate it. He does, however, have a few souvenirs.

"Scars," he says with a laugh.

Full story: Five Questions with Terry O'Reilly

Reactions: sooshii

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
cut.jpg

NHL.com's Q&A feature called "Five Questions With …" runs each Tuesday through the 2017-18 regular season. We talk to key figures in the game and ask them questions to gain insight into their lives, careers and the latest news.

The latest edition features Boston Bruins legend Terry O'Reilly.

On Tuesday at TD Garden, Terry O'Reilly will be among the NHL-record 11 Boston Bruins who scored 20 goals during the 1977-78 season. The 11, along withy former coach Don Cherry, will be honored before the Bruins play the Calgary Flames (7 p.m. ET; TVAS, NEWS, SNW, NHL.TV).

O'Reilly, 66, is one of the most popular players ever to play for the Bruins; he was a wrecking ball on skates who ferociously defended teammates and made life miserable for opposing goaltenders. O'Reilly, who had his No. 24 retired in 2002, was and remains a huge favorite with the Bruins' blue-collar fan base.

"Taz," as he was nicknamed by teammate Phil Esposito for his whirling dervish style that resembled the Tasmanian Devil of the Looney Tunes cartoons, had a good touch around the net. When O'Reilly wasn't serving the 2,095 penalty minutes he compiled during his NHL 891 games from 1971-72 to 1984-85, he scored 606 points (204 goals, 402 assists).

O'Reilly led the Bruins in points (90), goals (29), and assists (61) -- all NHL career highs - in 1977-78, a season that fell two wins short of magical when Boston lost the Stanley Cup Final to the Montreal Canadiens in six games.

O'Reilly has many memories of his season for the ages, though no puck, stick or scoresheet in his collection to celebrate it. He does, however, have a few souvenirs.

"Scars," he says with a laugh.

Full story: Five Questions with Terry O'Reilly
One cool dude!!!

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Growing up on the Pond everyone was O'Reilly Orr or Espo. That"s how popular he was. He was always there for his teammates and he could play the game and gave every ounce of energy he had every second in every game he ever played. No man had a greater amount of determination in him with a pair of Skates on and no man ever will!!!
head-coach-terry-oreilly-of-the-boston-bruins-follows-the-play-from-picture-id142809143
577871e.jpg

As coach of the Bruins in 1987-88, you were a big part of the Boston team that ended the Canadiens' streak of having beaten the Bruins in 18 consecutive playoff series, dating back to 1946. How sweet was your victory in the 1988 Adams Division Final?

"It was very satisfying, but it was very stressful. We were up by three goals with 12 seconds to go with a face-off. I was still worried. I was thinking, 'With 12 seconds, they can still do it.' When the final buzzer rang, it really was a wonderful feeling to finally send them home and to the golf course, to be on the winning side of the handshake."

Reactions: sooshii

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
One of my all time favorite Bruins... To this day, every Bruins game I attend, I proudly wear my #24 O'Reilly jersey! It never ceases to amaze how many people come up (I'm always in a visiting barn) and comment on what a badass he was!

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if he was on the islanders winning cups he would be in hof instead of c gillies

this guys popularity and legend is strong 30 years after he retired if thats not the definition of fame i dont know what is

my 5 best hockey memories probably all have oreilly at the center

such a shame his body broke down too early and his last couple years were difficult to stay on the ice

Reactions: Fenian24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad