U17: Five Nations Tournament in Romanshorn, Switzerland (7-10 February)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Still no Jordan Forget vs Czechia so he must be sick or injured. Sad story. I thought they might have rested him vs Sweden but it's obviously not the case.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Still no Jordan Forget vs Czechia so he must be sick or injured. Sad story. I thought they might have rested him vs Sweden but it's obviously not the case.
Looks like the Swiss team is fighting a pretty bad bug. That probably explains the very low energy efforts in both games. Lenny Giger seems to be pretty much the only guy with some sort of drive.

I was getting confused because ahead of the tournament, the SIHF released two completely different rosters only day day apart.

Now I found this updated pdf roster where no less than 9 guys are listed as sick. Most of those guys have still played at least one game which probably explains the poor efforts.

I really like how Giger stepped up though. Scored a goal vs Sweden and is really finishing all of his checks. Didn't play a lot vs Sweden but probably much more vs Czechia. Was on the ice for the 6vs5 in the end and him headlocking and wrestling down Kos who was, for whatever reason, looking for trouble after the whistle was hilarious. That was some first class policing. I didn't know he was into the rough stuff and I don't think he was ever really known for it but I like it.

Must be disappointing for players and staff though. You get to play a very nice home tournament but can't really compete. You only get to play so many international games at home.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
And no points for Jecho. Grrr.
We all probably guess by now that it was just an inflated bubble. Another example of a prematurely physically developed player who is an average hockey player. This isn't even about points, but from what I saw, he didn't stand out in any way. True, I didn't see the whole match. But I already know what to think about him thanks to watching a lot of matches. He may be drafted, but he is by no means a top prospect.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We all probably guess by now that it was just an inflated bubble. Another example of a prematurely physically developed player who is an average hockey player. This isn't even about points, but from what I saw, he didn't stand out in any way. True, I didn't see the whole match. But I already know what to think about him thanks to watching a lot of matches. He may be drafted, but he is by no means a top prospect.
I've only seen him a few times and he looks like he's growing into his body.. seems a bit awkward. Having said that, I didn't think I was looking at a future 1OV. Benak sure seems promising.. can you give him Jecho's body?

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I've only seen him a few times and he looks like he's growing into his body.. seems a bit awkward. Having said that, I didn't think I was looking at a future 1OV. Benak sure seems promising.. can you give him Jecho's body?
He can, but then he might move just as badly:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Finns

Goalies:
1 Rimpinen Petteri, TPS Turku
30 Hannikainen Otto, JYP Jyväskylä

Defenders:
3 Nieminen Daniel, Pelicans Lahti
4 Leppä Mikko, Tappara Tampere
5 Jalasti Bruno, HIFK Helsinki
6 Kaasinen Samuel, Jokerit Helsinki
7 Marila Eelis, HIFK Helsinki
8 Soini Sebastian, Ilves Tampere
10 Välilä Arttu, Lukko Rauma
11 Nykyri Niklas, Lukko Rauma

Forwards:
12 Keinänen Kasperi, KalPa Kuopio
13 Paqvalin Joonas, Jokerit Helsinki
14 Loponen Markus, Kärpät Oulu
15 Pulkkanen Akseli, KalPa Kuopio
16 Suoniemi Tuomas, TPS Turku
18 Ruohonen Heikki, Kiekko-Espoo
19 Viuhkola Nooa, Kärpät Oulu
20 Keinänen Juho, Jokerit Helsinki
21 Teshome Natan, Jokerit Helsinki
23 Väärälä Ville, Tappara Tampere
24 Saarelainen Joona, KalPa Kuopio
28 Sinivuori Lauri, HIFK Helsinki

Kiviharju, Muhonen, Väisänen, Jokinen, Helenius, Miettinen, Vesterinen playing age up U18 team
some notables imo missing: Saarinen, Hemming, Nyman
What about Atte Uusikartano? He has 16 pts in 17 games at the U20 level as a 16 year old.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland 2 Usa 4 final score

Good competent and rather even game despite Finns missing about 9 key best players.

Rimpinen had solid game, bad rebound on 2nd goal but otherwise good. Also Nykyri was strong defensivily and Ruohonen and Väärälä continue to impress. Much better from Suoniemi too he and Juho Keinänen had good chemisty. But Joona Saarelainen has been very dissapointing seems to have no confidence or drive in his game at the moment and his the captain. Also I still stand by Pulkkanen is not good enough to be 1 center I think there are better options.
What about Atte Uusikartano? He has 16 pts in 17 games at the U20 level as a 16 year old.
I keep hearing about this Uusikartano but he has never left great impression on me. Gotto remember his Tuto team is playing in Lower U20SM league where there is much easier to feast on points. I mean he has never played for national team I dont think this is big time talent I need to look more on him at some point

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Play at even strength was surprisingly even but the US PP is just too good. That's where they can really show off their skills. From a Swiss perspective it was yet another underwhelming game though at least they didn't give up down 0-4.

Other than that I really liked Ustinkov today. Clean game and a very nice keep in ahead of the first Swiss goal. Jamiro Reber is, even far from healthy and up against a completely overpowered US team, still way too good. His shorthander was very nice but he actually set up Ponzetto for a shorthander just a few seconds earlier in the same PK. Sadly, Ponzetto missed the net standing all alone in front of Parsons.

I'm still most impressed with Giger though. Comparing him to his teammates might be unfair because some if not most of them are probably playing sick. Still, he does stand out. Scored another nice goal and he's physically imposing despite being one of the smallest guys on the ice.

I actually also like our goaltenders. I know both of them gave up weak goals as they all do at this age but they're big, athletic and have a clean technique. The same goes for the other 06 goalies who played in previous tournaments. Therefore it looks like the days of us having to watch guys like Pasche or Beglieri could soon be over.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00