U18: Five Nations Tournament in Plymouth, USA (5-11 February)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Very young roster for Sweden.
Four 07s, is that all that young? Their 06s stink (relatively speaking). Or you mean a high number of late birthday '25 draft eligibles?

Is Feb 5 Nations roster usually a close to perfect correlation for Sweden and Finland with the U18 worlds?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I won't lie, this looks like a pretty good squad for us. This is not the age level I claim to have much knowledge in but I see some names that I'm constantly seeing popup as potential draft guys in a few years. Benak, Novotny, Mrtka, Galvas, Skok, Lisler and Sikora. I think they are all supposed to be projecting nicely for us. I could also be off by an age group and talking out my ass.

I never see Svozil in nominations anymore.. I think there is something up.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

I won't lie, this looks like a pretty good squad for us. This is not the age level I claim to have much knowledge in but I see some names that I'm constantly seeing popup as potential draft guys in a few years. Benak, Novotny, Mrtka, Galvas, Skok, Lisler and Sikora. I think they are all supposed to be projecting nicely for us. I could also be off by an age group and talking out my ass.

Also i hope that Benak grows a little, at least by one meter. For a start of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Wooren and Czechboy

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

I don't understand the absence of Svozil either. Lots of room for improvement, but he is clearly a better prospect than majority of the nominated.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't understand the absence of Svozil either. Lots of room for improvement, but he is clearly a better prospect than majority of the nominated.
There has to be more to this. He was not played at all in a tournament and we weren't sure if he was hurt or not. Now they don't even nominate him. Dvorak, Zacha... not even unprecedented.

Svozil was treated like shit by Kometa, dropped from a first rounder to a third rounder. Then his younger brother leaves altogether for Finland. I think it has something to do with the Svozil parents saying 'f*** the Czech route, we're leaving for Finland or the CHL'. That's my hunch. I could be dead wrong of course.

1706379798907.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA hasn't made any changes to the roster since the season began. It seems like a matter of time. Will likely happen right after this tournament, if I was to guess.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Switzerland:

Goalies (2): Christian Kirsch (EV Zug), Phileas Lachat (EHC Biel-Bienne)

Defensemen (7): Niklas Blessing (EHC Biel-Bienne), Mischa Geisser (EV Zug), Alessio Guignard (Fribourg-Gottéron), Joel Kurt (EHC Biel-Bienne), Gian Meier (GCK/ZSC Lions), Basile Sansonnens (Fribourg-Gottéron), Daniil Ustinkov (GCK/ZSC Lions)

Forwards (13): Robin Antenen (EV Zug), Nathan Borradori (HC Ambri-Piotta), David Bosson (GCK/ZSC Lions), Nolan Cattin (EHC Biel-Bienne), Leonardo Domenichelli (HC Lugano), Lenny Giger (Rögle BK / SWE), Joel Grossniklaus (SCL Tigers), Paul Mottard (EHC Biel-Bienne), Jamiro Reber (HV71 / SWE), Noé Tarchini (EHC Biel-Bienne), Janis Weber (IF Sundsvall / SWE), Nils Wehrli (EV Zug), Loris Wey (EV Zug)

All 06 borns. Muggli apparently not interested in exhibition tournaments this season. Borradori is a bit of a left field selection as well. Other than that, a pretty straight forward roster.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
They say he doesn't have the right work ethic.. It's a shame, he's definitely a player with a lot of potential.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
They say he doesn't have the right work ethic.. It's a shame, he's definitely a player with a lot of potential.
No idea about his off ice issues, but on the ice he certainly looks like he doesn't care for majority of time. On the other hand, a guy like David Krejci never seemed to care either, yet he obviously did. Biggest issue with Svozil is his mobilty IMO. Still time to figure things out though, I think he would benefit from a move to the OHL.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
No idea about his off ice issues, but on the ice he certainly looks like he doesn't care for majority of time. On the other hand, a guy like David Krejci never seemed to care either, yet he obviously did. Biggest issue with Svozil is his mobilty IMO. Still time to figure things out though, I think he would benefit from a move to the OHL.
Yeah, his body language is way too phlegmatic. At the same time, it can be seen that he is a smart player with an overview.

Reactions: Wooren

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

By my count only three players playing in Finland and two in Sweden with none currently playing in North America.

Is that a sign that the domestic junior league is growing stronger or are there other players playing outside the Czech Republic that could have (should have?) been included?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
By my count only three players playing in Finland and two in Sweden with none currently playing in North America.

Is that a sign that the domestic junior league is growing stronger or are there other players playing outside the Czech Republic that could have (should have?) been included?
If I recall, about half of the team from the silver HGC left for the CHL at the beginning of the season. It is certain that many of them would be in the best possible selection of players.

BearNorth

Oct 17, 2023
How would the lineups for sweden potentially look like with 3 new forwards compared to the WJAC tournament?

I am thinking something similiar like this, however the third line seems kinda small with tournament being held in US.

Eklund - Eriksson - Frondell
Fernström - Zetterberg - Sterner
Nordlund - Petterson - Hesselvall
Toresson - Berglund - Magnertoft
Extra Gastrin

Reactions: erikhamren

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

NO!!! Our junior league is an absolute joke and eveyrone leaves if they have potential. LIke Goodman said.... we got silver at Hlinka and then they all flew away. I don't blame them! Czech hockey has a massive hole somewhere between the ages of 17 to 19 for players to be. So they go Finland/Sweden or CHL/USHL. The Extraliga is not a good place for young players at all and the U20 league is just bad. They siad they'd make it smaller and more competitive but then decided to expand it instead. It's all really bad with no end in sight. Even the Czech coaches send their kids away... Petr, Spacek, Reichel and Zidlicky all come to mind. All National team coaches and their kids left. Or Svozil played here and had a shit experience, his brother plays in Finland instead. Very rare for a Czech to stay and go on to success but it has increased... eg. Sale, Kulich, Dvorak and Kulich all stayed for their draft year. But then they all left. I'd say it is the biggest flaw in Czech hockey and I don't trust the guy in charge to fix it.

Reactions: Goodman68

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
How would the lineups for sweden potentially look like with 3 new forwards compared to the WJAC tournament?

I am thinking something similiar like this, however the third line seems kinda small with tournament being held in US.

Eklund - Eriksson - Frondell
Fernström - Zetterberg - Sterner
Nordlund - Petterson - Hesselvall
Toresson - Berglund - Magnertoft
Extra Gastrin

Zetterberg - Pettersson - Fernström
Frondell - Eriksson - Eklund
Nordlund - Berglund - Hesselvall
Sterner - Gästrin - Toresson
Magnertoft

Sahlin Wallenius - Eliasson
Freij - Gustafsson
Öhrqvist - Annborn
Wernquist

Härenstam

I would go like this. Fernström and Zetterberg are dominating the J20 together and then Pettersson with 38 points in 34 games. It should be a dangerous line.

Reactions: cNLearn

cNLearn

Aug 29, 2023
Zetterberg - Pettersson - Fernström
Frondell - Eriksson - Eklund
Nordlund - Berglund - Hesselvall
Magnertoft

Sahlin Wallenius - Eliasson
Freij - Gustafsson
Öhrqvist - Annborn
Wernquist

Härenstam

I would go like this. Fernström and Zetterberg are dominating the J20 together and then Pettersson with 38 points in 34 games. It should be a dangerous line.
i would like to see this line up.

Frondell - Zetterberg - Fernström
Eklund - Eriksson - Pettersson
Magnertoft

Sahlin Wallenius - Annborn
Freij - Öhrqvist
Gustafsson - Eliasson
Wernquist

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Switzerland:

Goalies (2): Christian Kirsch (EV Zug), Phileas Lachat (EHC Biel-Bienne)

Defensemen (7): Niklas Blessing (EHC Biel-Bienne), Mischa Geisser (EV Zug), Alessio Guignard (Fribourg-Gottéron), Joel Kurt (EHC Biel-Bienne), Gian Meier (GCK/ZSC Lions), Basile Sansonnens (Fribourg-Gottéron), Daniil Ustinkov (GCK/ZSC Lions)

Forwards (13): Robin Antenen (EV Zug), Nathan Borradori (HC Ambri-Piotta), David Bosson (GCK/ZSC Lions), Nolan Cattin (EHC Biel-Bienne), Leonardo Domenichelli (HC Lugano), Lenny Giger (Rögle BK / SWE), Joel Grossniklaus (SCL Tigers), Paul Mottard (EHC Biel-Bienne), Jamiro Reber (HV71 / SWE), Noé Tarchini (EHC Biel-Bienne), Janis Weber (IF Sundsvall / SWE), Nils Wehrli (EV Zug), Loris Wey (EV Zug)

All 06 borns. Muggli apparently not interested in exhibition tournaments this season. Borradori is a bit of a left field selection as well. Other than that, a pretty straight forward roster.

I'd say its more likely that Zug doesn't want to release him. He is logging in fairly high minutes in the NLA as a 17 year old. They probably want to give him some rest.

Other than him and Borradori, who I don't know at all its basically all the players you would expect. I like Sören Aebi more than some forwards on the roster though. He is a very skilled center.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'd say its more likely that Zug doesn't want to release him. He is logging in fairly high minutes in the NLA as a 17 year old. They probably want to give him some rest.

Other than him and Borradori, who I don't know at all its basically all the players you would expect. I like Sören Aebi more than some forwards on the roster though. He is a very skilled center.

No. Clubs have no choice but to release their players for a maximum of nine games over the four IIHF breaks every season. This is very much Leon Muggli not wanting to play. While it's possible his club asked him to do so, EV Zug couldn't stop him from going for as long as he's healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad