Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The trend in the world is from "women and black people have no rights" to "being a man means you're a rapist and being white means you're a racist." Can we ensure that everyone is judged equally, regardless of gender, race, nationality or religion? Please…
As a white man I'd say it is trending towards "white men get no special privileges" and I am ok with that. We aren't there yet.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Whh should Makar or anyone else on the team not involved be punished? That is weird no?
I think they're trying to figure out who had knowledge of what happened and how they behave.

It will be a difficult line to toe: do you punish people with incomplete knowledge? Like the 3 players in the room clearly are more in the wrong than say someone in a group chat that discussed it, who are more in the wrong than guys that had no idea what happened.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What is so disappointing about having an adult conversation that toxic masculinity is a myth? Clearly you are easily offended by this...probably best you stop commenting about a lie you want to be a truth.
Probably not worth debating because at this point toxic masculinity's existence is, in my opinion, a certainty. My thoughts are when you get a group of young men, even older men, in a group, they feel the need to puff their chest out in a tribal way (violence, dominance, entitlement and hostility) and things like common sense and societal norms get tossed out the window. Pretty sure that contributes to events like this.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No that's not how it works, and you are mixing things up here. Toxic behaviour does go deeper, but here it repurposes standard stereotypes as a way to regulate gender relations. It is not the act of being masculine in itself that is a problem.

But using gender in a way that ostracize and encourages violence absolutely exists and is definitely toxic. It just happens to target men more as it pushes them to gain back power and authority. Having an accurate and specific term for the problem makes sense.
But that’s the issue - ‘toxic masculinity’ isn’t accurate. It’s become a generalized term that presumes men all have the same nature. Sure, gender roles exist and it’s important to discuss how they impact our everyday lives. But once we get into violent extremes like rape, using broad cliches like toxic masculinity are useless.

Most hockey kids come from the same privileged background. They live in the same progressive and egalitarian society that teaches mutual respect, not to cheat, kill, hurt, rape, etc. Yet a few do it anyway. What triggers one kid to become a rapist when the other kids in the same situation don’t? The answer won’t be found by pawning off responsibility to society, by blaming men’s nature, or through superficial slogans. We're not in a sociology class, we're discussing a violent crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad