OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
There you go you officially are in the "I used to bench 315 in high school part of your life", lol.

Take a look at Coops video that LG posted, he's very thorough with his testing and covers every single possible options there is.

I just watched the 2nd vid @Lafleurs Guy linked and the adjustabells look very nice. I have no qualms with my marcy, aside from the size. The adjustabells seems to fix that problem because they have the same system as the original pépin dumbells. The pépin are still pretty expensive though.

I actually think Im going to buy those like right now I didn't know they existed, at that price point. He also talks about the OG Pépin in there if you want something a bit more durable and nice.

Yeah, I'm 100% in that part of my life lol. It's only downhill from here.

But yeah, the adjustabells do look damn nice for the price. I might just buy them for now. Maybe I can get a 10$ entry to a gym and steal some low weights for the adjustabell. I mean, borrow. Indefinitely.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mrb1p

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thanks for the vids, but honestly I have over 20 years of training experience and spent a decade powerlifting, including competitions.. I already know all of this stuff, my twenties to early thirties I was sub 10% body fat and lifting 500lbs deadlifts. I know how and what to eat, how to track, etc. My issues are more about trying to manage my time with all of my work and family responsibilities. Im smack in the messy middle like Dave Ramsay likes to say.

I found some decent dumbbells already, but I was hoping maybe @Mrb1p had some out of the box idea. The 7-52lbs have some decent deals, but they'll be outgrown in around a month or two. The 10-90lbs are hella expensive with shipping and tax, even at discounts.

I’m in my 50’s, kids still at home and I do most of the cooking while working full time. It’s hard. I never really lifted and hovered between 25% to 40% body fat most of my adult life.

Gonna guess maybe my kids are older (mine are 19 and 17) so it’s not like I need to tend to them… just feed them.

For my time management, I do a LOT of meal prep. My family doesn’t follow a meal plan like me, so I’ll prep breakfast and lunch for them for 5 days, all three main meals for me. Kills my Sundays, but I basically don’t think about cooking except their dinners on weeknights.

I go to bed early, like 8:30pm to 9pm. I wake up at 4:30am and do 60 minutes on my treadmill. It sucks, yes, but I’ve done this for almost two years straight and I’m pretty hard wired.

I have a desk job (I’m an IT manager), so I start working early, answering emails, doing paperwork. I go to the gym for one hour every day at lunch. I am a senior employee, so I have some leeway and can take 90 minutes off so this allows me to drive to the gym and back.

Last bit of exercise I do is a 45-60 min walk after dinner, outside if I can but I’ll use my treadmill otherwise.

I do a pull/legs/push Monday to Wednesday, then lower/upper Thursday and Friday. Weekends are rest days, but I do some stationary bike for 30 min on Saturday or Sunday. To the person earlier asking if we play sports, I do play golf (I’ll call that a sport lol) in the summer and badminton and basketball all year, normally Friday night when I stay up later.

Not sure if your schedule allows for something like what I do. What I like about my routine is if i need to miss a day or two during the week, ill usually still hit all body parts once, but as I guess you know, twice is better which is what I normally do.

As for dumbbells, i have 50lb adjustable also. I’m nowhere as strong as you (I can barely do two plates deadlift) but yeah, 50lbs is light. I can still get work in though, as I do really slow eccentrics. If I just do a 1:1 tempo, i can probably crank out 15 on the benchpress. If I do 2 second down, pause, then push up, my reps decrease a lot. Again, I know you’re experienced, though figured it’d be worth mentioning.

All that being said, I do work out at a gym, so I have access to everything.

• Love
Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To be fair if you have a barbell and like 10-40 lbs dumbell you're good too. I've been training with pretty limited equipment for 3 years now and I'm doing just fine, better even than with all the fancy stuff in a gym.

Reactions: Andrei79

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Anaerobic stop-start activities will always leave us winded pretty quickly. The difference between in-shape and out-of-shape is how fast you recover.

Try adding a slow run/walk for 15 minutes, two/three times a week. You'll increase your lung capacity and circulation.
Makes sense. Because I walk 7-8 miles per day every day. No trouble. Takes me about 2 hours. To kill time and give me basic exercise.

Reactions: Lshap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad