Fisher Named Captain

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I think the assumptions that he would retire after this year have been on our part, but not so much what he's thinking

Could some of it come from those cap calculations where we are already allocating it to Neal and RyJo raises?

Great choice anyway, even if it ends up being just one year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Congrats to fish and you guys likely re-signing him past this year. What a great guy fish is.
Will be watching your season, exciting team being built. Good luck.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
He was on 104.5 yesterday and he said he feels great both physically and mentally when asked how much longer he thinks he can play. Generic answer but being someone who lives a clean life and was able to pick up where he left off at age 34 after rupturing an achilles, I don't doubt the truth in his words.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
He was on 104.5 yesterday and he said he feels great both physically and mentally when asked how much longer he thinks he can play. Generic answer but being someone who lives a clean life and was able to pick up where he left off at age 34 after rupturing an achilles, I don't doubt the truth in his words.

And if I recall, the talk about retirement was when he was recuperating from the injury. Once he recovered, he hadn't really lost much ability AND baby was born so retirement thoughts were pushed aside.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Have the utmost respect for Fish.
Glad our young guys can continue to learn from a true professional on and off the ice.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Good role model for the kids to look up to. Goes about his business the right way. Predictable, but the correct choice at this time.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I personally don't love this choice, but I've been pretty vocal about that for the past while. To me, it feels like when Greg Johnson or Tom Fitzgerald was captain -- and I'm of the belief that your captain should be one of your best players, not just the hardest working or most veteran. There's a school of thought that goes beyond just hockey that you want captains that lead by example not just behind the scenes but on the field\ice...and for a guy that goes as cold\streaky as Fisher, it just seems risky...not even factoring in that this could be Fisher's last year here.

I honestly thought it was going to be Josi, hoped for Josi or Neal, and think in the longterm someone like FF could be a good choice as well...i think the first two are far along enough to take it now, but I guess they wanted a bridge.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
^^^^^
There's little to no doubt in my mind that it'll be Josi long term after Fisher retires. Admittedly I'm a big fan of Fish being named Captain but it does kinda feel like a career achievement award type of move. Maybe that's just me but whatever. I also don't really get into things like this too often because I have no idea what goes on with the guys and how the locker room feels about things like leadership.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I personally don't love this choice, but I've been pretty vocal about that for the past while. To me, it feels like when Greg Johnson or Tom Fitzgerald was captain -- and I'm of the belief that your captain should be one of your best players, not just the hardest working or most veteran. There's a school of thought that goes beyond just hockey that you want captains that lead by example not just behind the scenes but on the field\ice...and for a guy that goes as cold\streaky as Fisher, it just seems risky...not even factoring in that this could be Fisher's last year here.

I honestly thought it was going to be Josi, hoped for Josi or Neal, and think in the longterm someone like FF could be a good choice as well...i think the first two are far along enough to take it now, but I guess they wanted a bridge.

I think the Fisher choice is a way of being fair to Johansen and Subban, it would send a strong message to appoint a player who hasn't played a full season, or even a game, to captain. The Fisher choice makes sense, he's only got a few years left and gives mgmt. a season or more with the new guys to observe their temperament on the ice and in the locker room.

If mgmt. has only has Subban in mind for captain, then it's a wise choice to pick Fisher and wait. Picking Subban now would only cause potential problems.

We have many good candidates for our next captain so I'm fine with having Fisher as a stop gap. It's not like the Fitzgerald years where the team lacked talent, it's the opposite, we have so much talent that it'll be a tough choice when Fisher decides to hang them up.

I'm hoping either Josi or Forsberg get it next, but I'll be happy with anybody as long as they stay long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad