Goalies: First time on the ice

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I'm playing drop-in tonight as goaltender and was wondering if there's any basic tips? The last time I played hockey on the ice I was 6 years old and i got pulled out due to expenses. I've been playing roller all my life though.

If I'm a pretty good keeper on a roller rink, is it difficult to transfer those skills over to ice? Thanks in advance.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Never underestimate the importance of staying square to the puck. Remember, the puck has to beat you - not the other way around. Follow the player's stick blade when he has the puck to make sure you're not just saying square to the shooter.

Most importantly - you're not gonna get a shutout in drop-in. Dominik Hasek probably wouldn't. Just have fun with it, that alone will make you play much better than if you're overthinking.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Never underestimate the importance of staying square to the puck. Remember, the puck has to beat you - not the other way around. Follow the player's stick blade when he has the puck to make sure you're not just saying square to the shooter.

Most importantly - you're not gonna get a shutout in drop-in. Dominik Hasek probably wouldn't. Just have fun with it, that alone will make you play much better than if you're overthinking.

Yeah I think I'm over thinking it a bit. I do want to start playing adult league or something and after actually watching them I don't think I'll do too bad. Some of them aren't very good. :laugh:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah I think I'm over thinking it a bit. I do want to start playing adult league or something and after actually watching them I don't think I'll do too bad. Some of them aren't very good. :laugh:

It's going to take you about 10 sessions on the ice to get used to it, but you will be fine in the long run.

Chest Infected

Apr 1, 2013
Keep your wits about you there's always a guy or two that are real disrespectful of the goalie in warmups. Shooting for mask and unprotected spots. Pick those guys out and keep an eye on em. Other than that stay square to the puck and make sure you limber up good before hand.

cbjbluejackets61

This is neat!
Feb 26, 2009
Columbus
as i am typing this, i literally have just gotten back from my first time ever wearing goalie pads on the ice and got thrown into a d3 intramural hockey game.

what i learned:
1) angles, angles, angles. stay square to the puck and anticipate
2) stick on the ice at all times
3) have the glove and blocker in positions to catch the puck at all times
4) timing is key when you drop low
5) just have fun!

rock on boys! :yo::yo:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I know this thread is old by this point but I just realized I forgot to tell you what I always tell new ice goalies - wear two cups. Seriously, wear a player jock with a cup underneath a goalie cup. Your children and your children's children will thank me. Anything after that is a toss-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad