First Time I've Ever Noticed a Shark Coach Listed as...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Being the first in the league to be fired. We're talking about TMac and the prediction came from Brett Cyrgalis of the NY Post.

I know we discussed this at length through the off-season, but I don't see TMac being fired during the season, and neither DW while we are at it. I'm with the others that believe as long as no improvement is available to fill the position, TMac will not be fired. Same goes for DW.

On the off chance there is a firing of either, it will be in the off-season and the Sharks would have likely missed the western playoffs. That would be pathetic considering about 55% of the western conference teams advance to the 2nd season, or what the NHL front office likes to call the first round of the playoffs.

It seems like the sports writers have overemphasized DW's off-season comments in their predictions. I've not seen Sharks higher than 3rd position in the division. Frankly, with league parity, Sharks, Kings, and Ducks have a chance at 1st place almost every year.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He should have predicted the Habs coach or Pens coach. Would have gotten more views.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Fits very nicely into the sports media's narrative. Based in reality? Nope. Likely to happen? Nope. But does it fall in line with everyone's pre-conceived storyline for the Sharks? Sure does.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see either getting fired during the season either unless there is a catastrophic slump or amount of injuries that puts them out of the playoffs fairly deep into the year.

The thought process that has been going on with regards to keeping the coach and GM is something I don't agree with. This is especially true for the head coach. The honest truth is that nobody here truly knows who is or isn't better than McLellan or Wilson. Those types of personnel decisions all depend on the direction the owner wants to take the team and what the owner wants the man he tabs for the job to focus on. Hell, we don't even really know who is or isn't available.

With regards to the coach, even if the best coach has lost the room, he's got to go regardless of the quality of the available coaches. It just means that the next guy in line needs to make the most sense out of what's there.

Dusk Soldier

Feb 26, 2010
Well T-Mac is one of the longest teneured coaches at the moment, and coaches more accomplished than him have been fired for much less.

It wouldn't be that out of left field. He had to pick somebody for his article.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I don't see either getting fired during the season either unless there is a catastrophic slump or amount of injuries that puts them out of the playoffs fairly deep into the year.

The thought process that has been going on with regards to keeping the coach and GM is something I don't agree with. This is especially true for the head coach. The honest truth is that nobody here truly knows who is or isn't better than McLellan or Wilson. Those types of personnel decisions all depend on the direction the owner wants to take the team and what the owner wants the man he tabs for the job to focus on. Hell, we don't even really know who is or isn't available.

With regards to the coach, even if the best coach has lost the room, he's got to go regardless of the quality of the available coaches. It just means that the next guy in line needs to make the most sense out of what's there.
I think that either one would have to do something politically stupid (not following org policy) to get fired during the season even in the face of underperformance. I do think performance evals will be done on all at the end of the season.

I don't trust the NY Post at all. Very low standard for journalism. I would much more likely trust the NY Times or Newsday.

Finally with all the rumors flying in the off-season, it was very apparent that TM was at the top of a lot lists if he became available. He has issues, but is head and shoulders above a significant segment of the coaching community.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I
He has issues, but is head and shoulders above a significant segment of the coaching community.

I believe that's why TMac is will not be replaced in mid-season. He's head and shoulders above the replacements, and the likely replacements that come-up in mid-season since those will likely come from the bottom ranks.

I am concerned about the teams lack of ability to play hockey as a team with effective passing and knowing where teammates are. It's come up in our GDT that the Sharks needs time to get accustomed to each other on their lines.

However, the Sharks don't really have big roster changes, only a few. The vast majority have played with each other for years. Additionally, the other teams are noticeable less affected by the off-season as the Sharks with perhaps the exception of the Kings, but that is typical for the Kings.

So I am wondering is there a locker room issue going on (perhaps still)? If so, will these players focus their displeasure on TMac. That is the only way I can see TMac getting fired in mid-season. Since these guys are professional hockey players, I don't see them tossing aside their professionalism to create the situation.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
A lot of the games I've watched aside from Shark games, haven't been very crisp. Some teams gel quick and others don't. This Sharks team didn't play together in preseason, most of the games were a mishmash of different players.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I believe that's why TMac is will not be replaced in mid-season. He's head and shoulders above the replacements, and the likely replacements that come-up in mid-season since those will likely come from the bottom ranks.

I am concerned about the teams lack of ability to play hockey as a team with effective passing and knowing where teammates are. It's come up in our GDT that the Sharks needs time to get accustomed to each other on their lines.

However, the Sharks don't really have big roster changes, only a few. The vast majority have played with each other for years. Additionally, the other teams are noticeable less affected by the off-season as the Sharks with perhaps the exception of the Kings, but that is typical for the Kings.

So I am wondering is there a locker room issue going on (perhaps still)? If so, will these players focus their displeasure on TMac. That is the only way I can see TMac getting fired in mid-season. Since these guys are professional hockey players, I don't see them tossing aside their professionalism to create the situation.

A coach's job status has very little to do with available replacements. There's a reason why teams hire interims and it's because if they lose the room, the coach needs to be removed...period.

As for the lack of cohesiveness, what did you expect after the changes made? The only line that didn't get altered was Marleau-Couture-Nieto. Three of four lines had changes. Pretty much two of three pairs and sometimes all three are different than last year. The premise that they've played with each other for years is false.

Are there locker room issues? Probably but I don't think it's between players if there is and they don't play for their coach or GM so that stuff shouldn't impact their game. Chances are it is simply a matter of hockey not being a perfect game, they're still adjusting to the new people and the new roles for others. All that matters is getting the points in October. If they're still showing signs of dysfunction outside of the normal game flow dysfunction because, you know, there's another team on the ice then maybe it needs to be addressed. Not now so simmer down!

vatali

Life Long Slacker
May 27, 2005
Middle of nowhere
before the season I absolutely thought he would be the first one. Off season turmoil, 16 of the first 21 on the road, western conference difficulty climbing back.

But so far the team is playing like the stats said they should, and while its early in the road trip, they don't look like a shell of a team like COL or EDM does.

Now I don't see him being fired short of a 12 game losing streak. more in reality, I think the sharks will have a big acquisition/ shake up before he would be let go.

After this season though.......

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Zero chance. DW set the expectation bar so freaking low this offseason, if TMac is even near the playoffs his job is fine.

Not that I agree with that, but you get fired based on relative expectations. DW set them low.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA

+1

Unless the Sharks have a prolonged losing streak where they go something like 16 points through 30 games AND there are stories of locker room fights breaking out and/or shouting matches on the bench between the coaches and players where there's a near mutiny, I can't see McLellan getting fired.

If they didn't fire him after blowing a 3-0 series lead against LA, they're not going to fire him after a 3-0-1 start. And given the team's start, I think it highly unlikely the Sharks would only muster 9 points over their next 26 games (though that might be cause for dismissal). But that's true of nearly every coach. There are coaches on teams far closer to the precipice.

This Sharks team (and its coaches) will be judged by how it finishes the season. Not by how they start. Whatever you read was garbage.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
He's in a weird situation. Hasn't had the success in the playoffs but he's a good coach, and his regular season teams are always really good. You don't fire a coach who's winning games, he either leaves on his own for another job or you wait until the contract expires and hire someone else.

Replacing him is a coach's wet dream though, how often does a coach get to take over a good team? Normally coaches are fired when the team sucks so a coach has to take over a team without much success.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's in a weird situation. Hasn't had the success in the playoffs but he's a good coach, and his regular season teams are always really good. You don't fire a coach who's winning games, he either leaves on his own for another job or you wait until the contract expires and hire someone else.

Replacing him is a coach's wet dream though, how often does a coach get to take over a good team? Normally coaches are fired when the team sucks so a coach has to take over a team without much success.

The team fired Ron Wilson who had relatively similar success here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad