Post-Game Talk: First time in a playoff spot all season

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
So I'm going to call this out. US football that we see are largely National broadcasts on large networks. Football also only played one game a week, that's EASY to prep for.

When you get into the "local" broadcasts (usually radio) for these teams, the "professionalism" falls backward pretty quick. It's the same with Baseball and Basketball, the broadcasts are similar to hockey.

Hockey does need an adjustment because the "traditional" culture is a problem, but I think the reason so many have such problem with the current broadcasters is because the broadcasters they listened to Growing Up didn't change much at all, so that lens makes those broadcasts seem alot more iconic all of the time then they actually were.

Maybe the profession evolves like the sport.
BS. Football analysts can tell you how many completions the 3rd string QB had in Tuesday’s practise. Night and day more knowledgeable.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
So I'm going to call this out. US football that we see are largely National broadcasts on large networks. Football also only played one game a week, that's EASY to prep for.

When you get into the "local" broadcasts (usually radio) for these teams, the "professionalism" falls backward pretty quick. It's the same with Baseball and Basketball, the broadcasts are similar to hockey.

Hockey does need an adjustment because the "traditional" culture is a problem, but I think the reason so many have such problem with the current broadcasters is because the broadcasters they listened to Growing Up didn't change much at all, so that lens makes those broadcasts seem alot more iconic all of the time then they actually were.

There are always 2 ways to look at something, and that is an excellent perspective.

If the profession doesn’t evolve, it will cease to exist. We do not need AI commentators up in our business.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I find the level of homersism on another level for local NHL broadcasts compared to NFL and MLB as well. The Oilers local broadcast is about as "down the centre of the road" as you'll ever get in the NHL, there are quite a few local broadcasts where the homerism is insane and based on what I read around here, makes the fanbase that gets indoctrinated by it dumber. Avalanche, Bruins, Flames, Lightning, Leafs, Kings all immediately come top of mind for this.

On Saturday the Avalanche announcer said something to the effect of "McKinnon is currently the MVP consensus favourite" - in what world? When you hear stuff like that it makes hearing the abject nonsense you hear around here from Avalanche fans make more sense.

Reactions: TB12 and iCanada

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
NHL broadcasts are crazy for their overall lack of knowledge concerning the intricacies of the NHL rules. And seeing how many of the analysts are ex-players, I can only assume the players barely know the rules to their own game. Honestly, its been nearly 40 years since I was last at a referee clinic, over 30 years since I was on skates but I cannot count the times that I know why a whistle went and they do not.

My recommendation, the NHL should put on a yearly referee clinic for media in every city.

No one actually understands the rulebook anymore including the people with the whistles.

Reactions: GreeningOil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I find the level of homersism on another level for local NHL broadcasts compared to NFL and MLB as well.
Yes, in the regional broadcasts for sure, when you get to the regional broadcasts of those sports you get the Same thing.

Tell me you don’t pay attention to football without telling me you don’t pay attention to football.
Ok you don't pay attention to football? Good for you I guess.

Do you think Tony Romo or Troy Aikman have to "do" all their prep? Come on man.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I find the level of homersism on another level for local NHL broadcasts compared to NFL and MLB as well. The Oilers local broadcast is about as "down the centre of the road" as you'll ever get in the NHL, there are quite a few local broadcasts where the homerism is insane and based on what I read around here, makes the fanbase that gets indoctrinated by it dumber. Avalanche, Bruins, Flames, Lightning, Leafs, Kings all immediately come top of mind for this.

On Saturday the Avalanche announcer said something to the effect of "McKinnon is currently the MVP consensus favourite" - in what world? When you hear stuff like that it makes hearing the abject nonsense you hear around here from Avalanche fans make more sense.
NFL doesn't really have local broadcasts so that's probably why they don't get the homerism like NHL local broadcasts has.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yes, in the regional broadcasts for sure, when you get to the regional broadcasts of those sports you get the Same thing.

Sure.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BS. Football analysts can tell you how many completions the 3rd string QB had in Tuesday’s practise. Night and day more knowledgeable.
But sports like Football and Baseball lend themselves more easily to tangible statistics, in football, like yds gained, yds passed, etc and is a fixed not continuous play sport. Football and baseball are very definable statistically due to what they are.

Conversely Hockey, Soccer, they are harder to quantify statistically and thus harder for announcers to cite such quantified stats. Despite analytics hockey is still about observed analysis and the commentary tends to veer to that. In baseball it isn't subjective that a short stop fielded a grounder or a double play occurred. The play happened or it didn't and who was responsible for making the play is pretty quantified due to events being clear cut.

Whereas in hockey people here can argue for weeks or years who was responsible for a GA or creating a goal.

Comparisons between these sports and their commentary seem invalid.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't disagree, but I don't agree.

If it were that simple they wouldn't be paying guys like Romo the money he gets. He knows a lot about individual players with their strengths and weaknesses of their actual game.

I think the large difference as you somewhat mentioned is the amount of games. These guys end up being able to actually watch damn near every game in a week and it's not an inconvenience to their lives.

Hockey a lot of analysts are tucked into their race car beds when there is still a lot of hockey to be watched.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't disagree, but I don't agree.

If it were that simple they wouldn't be paying guys like Romo the money he gets. He knows a lot about individual players with their strengths and weaknesses of their actual game.

I think the large difference as you somewhat mentioned is the amount of games. These guys end up being able to actually watch damn near every game in a week and it's not an inconvenience to their lives.
They are giant one day national spectacles, especially the ones seen up here. They have HUGE money put into them, of course they seem a cut above. I don't understand why it's so lost on people.

Football is absurdly perfect for TV, you can hype all week, then it's only ONE day of broadcasting and effort to that end, then back to the hype cycle.

It's utterly incomparable to a sport where a team might play 12+ games a month, the challenge is completely different.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just to echo the comment that of course its different preparing for one broadcast a week vs multiple. Just like it would be easier for a student to prepare for one final exam in a week vs preparing for several.

The broadcast in hockey is subject to the same preparation limitations that the teams are. In hockey you generally have a day off to prepare for the next game. In Football you have a standardized week to prepare. In some cases two.

Another consideration is that in Football in stadiums broadcast booths get primary consideration and are given good vantage points close enough to the action and to see the whole field and whats going on. In hockey arena's the location of same is varied and with broadcast booths sometimes being so far from ice you can't legitimately see whats actually going on. Also harder to see if a puck hit the net or side of the net etc from say the rafters of an arena.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
But sports like Football and Baseball lend themselves more easily to tangible statistics, in football, like yds gained, yds passed, etc and is a fixed not continuous play sport. Football and baseball are very definable statistically due to what they are.

Conversely Hockey, Soccer, they are harder to quantify statistically and thus harder for announcers to cite such quantified stats. Despite analytics hockey is still about observed analysis and the commentary tends to veer to that. In baseball it isn't subjective that a short stop fielded a grounder or a double play occurred. The play happened or it didn't and who was responsible for making the play is pretty quantified due to events being clear cut.

Whereas in hockey people here can argue for weeks or years who was responsible for a GA or creating a goal.

Comparisons between these sports and their commentary seem invalid.
Thats fair but do you think for example the HNIC panel / commentary are close to being as knowledgeable about hockey as the NFL guys are about football?

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bieksa yes, the rest, no.

Even Hrudey, despite a ton of NHL experience, doesn't come across as knowing much more than the guy at the water cooler. He just seems spacey.
Problem in Canada is you are essentially hired to be a yes man. Sportsnet has done a good job at sucking the life out of just about everyone they hired. Even if you are good, eventually you are probably going to be just another talking head. And if you continue to show any sort of emotion you are probably gone.

Can't imagine what the people that get jobs there think, as they filter through so many people year over year.

Somehow Bieksa has avoid turning into a corporate suit though, so good on him.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Problem in Canada is you are essentially hired to be a yes man. Sportsnet has done a good job at sucking the life out of just about everyone they hired. Even if you are good, eventually you are probably going to be just another talking head. And if you continue to show any sort of emotion you are probably gone.

Can't imagine what the people that get jobs there think, as they filter through so many people year over year.

Somehow Bieksa has avoid turning into a corporate suit though, so good on him.

I've also noticed the petrifying fear that almost all hockey broadcasters have of being overly critical of anything really.

Officials stink? Player stinks? Organization in a tail spin? None of these ever get directly called out. It's a soft touch recognition that things aren't great, but it will be left at that in fear of offending anyone.

For example, would any media member anywhere come out and say "Jack Campbell stinks, is no longer an NHL player, and the Oilers would be insane to call him up?" It's always "he's down there in the AHL having a tough time, he's such a great guy, Oilers hoping it will work out!" It's just silly at this point. The former, not the latter would be what would be said by commentators for any other sport.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For everyone saying bench Brown, slow your horses. He’s been valuable on the penalty kill which is now 5th in the league. Since when have we heard that before? He also had 2 points on the road trip and he set up some decent chances in this game. Maybe relax a bit on him.
He’s not scoring but he’s been valuable in other facets of the game
"Valuable" X2. Saying it twice doesn't make it true and both 2nd assists were simply due to passing to a D. In the case of his first assist he passed it back to Booch, who passed to Ekholm, who passed it back to Booch, who scored on the shot that he scores on and who deserves all the credit for the play. Brown was multiple passes removed from the play and still gets an assist.

Lets not pretend he's commonly making stellar plays out there. As I've stated someone like Gagner makes 5 offensive plays every game that are better than what Connor Brown pulls off.

Brown is good on the pk. Thats something at least. But his EV play has not been good.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Bieksa yes, the rest, no.

Even Hrudey, despite a ton of NHL experience, doesn't come across as knowing much more than the guy at the water cooler. He just seems spacey.
Exactly he’s great but that’s all we get and it just seems to be getting worse.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
"Valuable" X2. Saying it twice doesn't make it true and both 2nd assists were simply due to passing to a D. In the case of his first assist he passed it back to Booch, who passed to Ekholm, who passed it back to Booch, who scored on the shot that he scores on and who deserves all the credit for the play. Brown was multiple passes removed from the play and still gets an assist.

Lets not pretend he's commonly making stellar plays out there. As I've stated someone like Gagner makes 5 offensive plays every game that are better than what Connor Brown pulls off.

Brown is good on the pk. Thats something at least. But his EV play has not been good.
I feel like people undervalue the PK a bit. Win the special teams battle and you usually win the game. Benching a big piece of the PK that’s clicking at like a 90% rate on this 7 game heater would be dumb imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad