Post-Game Talk: First time in a playoff spot all season

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel like people undervalue the PK a bit. Win the special teams battle and you usually win the game. Benching a big piece of the PK that’s clicking at like a 90% rate on this 7 game heater would be dumb imo.
Thats fair. But its also been the case lately that our scoring is not spread out. its basically one player or one line each game contributing to a lot of the production. Could use some more balanced scoring and through the lineup. Basically our bottomsix right now is just there. Gagner as he's shown changes that.

OK with whatever happens but I don't think Hamblin is doing much either. Seems a shame to have Sam Gagner and not use him. He's been our best bottomsix player AND Sam gives us a legit 2nd PP unit that can actually create chances and control puck in Ozone.

Reactions: Duke74

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Thats fair. But its also been the case lately that our scoring is not spread out. its basically one player each game contributing to a lot of the production. Could use some more balanced scoring and through the lineup. Basically our bottomsix right now is just there. Gagner as he's shown changes that.

OK with whatever happens but I don't think Hamblin is doing much either. Seems a shame to have Sam Gagner and not use him. He's been our best bottomsix player.
Oh I think he should be in the lineup, he was good with Kane no? I just don’t think we can mess with that PK at this point. Hamblin doesn’t really contribute anything tbh.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly he’s great but that’s all we get and it just seems to be getting worse.
I rarely even waste the time on intermissions anymore. Has become my laundry/clean kitchen/prep for next day meal time.

The odd time if I'm walking by I might stop to watch if something peaks my interest.

On a side note, does it not seem like Osmak is creeped out by Ken Reid? Their chemistry is of two people where the guy has just been hitting on the girl non-stop and she wants nothing to do with him. When he jokes she cringes lol

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The complaint is that Debrusk calls the play as if the Oilers are being dominated. as if the opponent are playing better and bringing the play. Last night he couldn't stop talking about the Sens. In a game in which they were their usual nothing.

I think he spent one solid minute polishing Giroux's knob. Best leader on the planet apparently, such a good leader, the reason he's in Ottawa leader, leading a whole team to nowhere leader, ,the great vet in the room, on the ice, doing everything, showing how its done...." does that ring a bell? You'd think Louis had been Giroux's best man or something. After awhile of course I just say Louis shut up, we don't care.

You know, I could see this if the Oilers were horrible. But the Oilers have the best players on Earth. It isnt inappropriate to regard that, or want to hear it.

We got the Sens homer broadcast it felt like.

Good thing I didn't watch the between periods to hear more about the Canucks "Canadas team". Its a whole Snet shtick that will give more regard to the calgary Flames than the Oilers. Its that cumulative thing Oilers fans tend to rail against.
And it always seems to me that every time there is a contested goal for the Oilers or against them that is under review, Louie always tends to take the negative potential result.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Our schedule sucks entertainment wise, I feel like there’s so many days in between without games

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Our schedule sucks entertainment wise, I feel like there’s so many days in between without games
That is a problem for the team too.
Due to the fact thay have played the 2nd fewest games in the NHL so far means that there will be some compressed parts of the schedule coming up.
For example...the latter half of February has the team playing 9 games in 16 days. Then to close out April the team plays 6 games in 9 days.
Thats 15 games in 25 days.
Brutal scheduling for the 2nd half.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Due to the fact thay have played the 2nd fewest games in the NHL so far means that there will be some compressed parts of the schedule coming up.
For example...the latter half of February has the team playing 9 games in 16 days. Then to close out April the team plays 6 games in 9 days.
100%, let’s hope the team keeps rolling so we have abit of a cushion down the stretch.

Reactions: guymez

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's got some downside for sure, you'd hope that we both don't fall off the wagon, and also manage to remain reasonably healthy.

The upside to a back loaded schedule is that its given the new coaching outfit a lot of time over the last month and a bit to work on the system they want. It's often hard to make too many changes in season because of games every 2 or 3 days. I know the scheduling sucks but it's been a blessing for them while moving from Woody to Knob.

Multiple weeks of 2 games and extended home stands is a lot of extra practice time, which they seem to have used well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's got some downside for sure, you'd hope that we both don't fall off the wagon, and also manage to remain reasonably healthy.

The upside to a back loaded schedule is that its given the new coaching outfit a lot of time over the last month and a bit to work on the system they want. It's often hard to make too many changes in season because of games every 2 or 3 days. I know the scheduling sucks but it's been a blessing for them while moving from Woody to Knob.

Multiple weeks of 2 games and extended home stands is a lot of extra practice time, which they seem to have used well.
My concern is that the team wont be well rested for the playoffs. If they can continue to rise in the standings during this fairly light part of the schedule and have a playoff spot well in hand come April maybe Knoblauch can use a little load managment.

Reactions: AM and North Cole

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
I find the level of homersism on another level for local NHL broadcasts compared to NFL and MLB as well. The Oilers local broadcast is about as "down the centre of the road" as you'll ever get in the NHL, there are quite a few local broadcasts where the homerism is insane and based on what I read around here, makes the fanbase that gets indoctrinated by it dumber. Avalanche, Bruins, Flames, Lightning, Leafs, Kings all immediately come top of mind for this.

On Saturday the Avalanche announcer said something to the effect of "McKinnon is currently the MVP consensus favourite" - in what world? When you hear stuff like that it makes hearing the abject nonsense you hear around here from Avalanche fans make more sense.
You are kidding about Oilers broadcasters not being homers right? Micheals is a major homer. He is always challenging refs missed calls against the Oilers, but when the Oilers get the break, he always says something along the lines of the refs have put the whistles away and are just letting them play.

There was also a broadcast before Campbell got sent down, I think it was the last game they played, but they were comparing goalie stats Campbell and the opposing goalie, wish I could remember what game, however, they showed the opposing goalies stats for the year, vs Campbells career stats so he would look better, if that's not Homer broadcasting, I don't know what you would call it. Pretty sure I have never seen that on any other teams broadcast ever. When they compare stats they compare the same stats.
No one actually understands the rulebook anymore including the people with the whistles.
I think the situation room has made it worse, as almost identical plays result in different calls.
I actually think the refs do a pretty good job making calls in real time without a replay. When you think a linesman makes a call on offside in a split second and then it takes the situation room 10 minutes and 40 different angles to figure out if it was or wasn't offside. It really is incredible.

The managing the game is what is the toughest. It is incredibly frustrating as fans when you see them let a call go, and then they call a weaker one against your team. Its either a penalty or not. I wish there was a way to make more rules black and white, but if they called everything games would take 5 or 6 hours and would almost never be played 5 on 5. So I am not really sure how you work around this. IMO they seem to find a way to give the trailing team a powerplay in the last 5 minutes if the game is close. Especially if they have not had many calls to that point in the game.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You are kidding about Oilers broadcasters not being homers right? Micheals is a major homer. He is always challenging refs missed calls against the Oilers, but when the Oilers get the break, he always says something along the lines of the refs have put the whistles away and are just letting them play.

There was also a broadcast before Campbell got sent down, I think it was the last game they played, but they were comparing goalie stats Campbell and the opposing goalie, wish I could remember what game, however, they showed the opposing goalies stats for the year, vs Campbells career stats so he would look better, if that's not Homer broadcasting, I don't know what you would call it. Pretty sure I have never seen that on any other teams broadcast ever. When they compare stats they compare the same stats.

I think the situation room has made it worse, as almost identical plays result in different calls.
I actually think the refs do a pretty good job making calls in real time without a replay. When you think a linesman makes a call on offside in a split second and then it takes the situation room 10 minutes and 40 different angles to figure out if it was or wasn't offside. It really is incredible.

The managing the game is what is the toughest. It is incredibly frustrating as fans when you see them let a call go, and then they call a weaker one against your team. Its either a penalty or not. I wish there was a way to make more rules black and white, but if they called everything games would take 5 or 6 hours and would almost never be played 5 on 5. So I am not really sure how you work around this. IMO they seem to find a way to give the trailing team a powerplay in the last 5 minutes if the game is close. Especially if they have not had many calls to that point in the game.
Welease Woderick!

Reactions: Roderek

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't think it would be that extreme. Would be like it was post lockout where lots of PP's, but eventually players learn.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I feel like people undervalue the PK a bit. Win the special teams battle and you usually win the game. Benching a big piece of the PK that’s clicking at like a 90% rate on this 7 game heater would be dumb imo.
If guys on the PK want to be recognized for doing a good job they will need score short handed.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad