First - second scorer in team

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
I decided to do following analyse. I checked each team first and second player in points and difference between them. To see, how can one team be dependent on individual player.

To show, what I mean, lets look at first in this table:

New Jersey Devils - Taylor Hall 68 points, Nico Hirsher 41 points , difference 27 points

New Jersey DevilsTaylor Hall27
Los Angeles KingsAnze Kopitar26
Winnipeg JetsBlake Wheeler20
Edmonton OilersConnor McDavid18
Chicago BlackhawksPatrick Kane16
Calgary FlamesJohnny Gaudreau15
Ottawa SenatorsMark Stone13
Colorado AvalancheNathan MacKinnon12
Columbus Blue JacketsArtemi Pannarin12
Minnesota WildEric Stall11
Tampa Bay LightningNikita Kucherov11
Vancouver CanucksBrock Boeser10
Washington CapitalsAlex Ovechkin10
Anaheim DucksRichard Rakell9
Buffalo SabresJack Eichel7
Pittsburgh PenguinsEvgeni Malkin6
Arizona CoyotesClayton Keller5
Detroit Red WingsDylan Larkin5
Philadelphia FlyersClaude Giroux5
Vegas Golden KnightsJonathan Marchessault5
Nashville PredatorsP.K. Subban4
Boston BruinsBrad Marchand3
New York IslandersMathew Barzal3
New York RangersMats Zuccarrello3
Toronto Maple LeafsMitchell Marner3
Florida PanthersAlexander Barkov2
St. Louis BluesBrayden Scheen2
Dallas StarsAlexander Radulov1
San Jose SharksBrent Burns1
Montreal CanadiensMax Pacioretty0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Wheeler is 20 ahead of the Scheifele-Laine-Ehlers force? Wow!

Edit: ah I see Scheif has missed 15 games, would be closer otherwise. Still another impressive season by Big Blake!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You should also factor in games played... as some players are benefiting from more games over the #2 scorer.

Staal has 11 more points than Granlund, but also has played 5 more games. That's potentially 5pts padding the gap for Staal (using Granlund's scoring pace, 4.5 points over a 5 game stretch rounds up to 5pts), and drastically affects his ranking on your list. IE a difference of being a top 10 most relied on scorer vs tied for 15th

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I would have lost all of my monies betting against Brayden Schenn leading the Blues in scoring this late in the season.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
You should also factor in games played... as some players are benefiting from more games over the #2 scorer.

Staal has 11 more points than Granlund, but also has played 5 more games. That's potentially 5pts padding the gap for Staal (using Granlund's scoring pace, 4.5 points over a 5 game stretch rounds up to 5pts), and drastically affects his ranking on your list. IE a difference of being a top 10 most relied on scorer vs tied for 15th

Why not just keep it simple?

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
Its amazing how Kopitar isn't in any conversation for Hart trophy, he plays in every situation pp/pk, 2nd most TOI amongs forwards in league, playing w/o their 2nd line center(Carter) through entire year leading Kings to playoffs, has 26 points lead on second scorer on team(70 to 44) with linemates of Brown and Iaffalo(undrafted rookie) while playing Selke defense. LA Kings are first in GA/GP, second in PK and he's the anchor. Someone explain to me how is Hall above him in terms of influence he has on his team winning. You remove him from this years team and they are playing for 1. draft pick.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Edit: ah I see Scheif has missed 15 games, would be closer otherwise. Still another impressive season by Big Blake!
Wheeler stepped in as the #1C while Scheifele was out too. There is really no way to overstate how impressive a season he has had.

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
Unless I glanced over it, Carolina has a 1 point difference with Teravainen in first.

SJ and NSH have a D man as top scorer, and OTT, CBJ have a D man in 2nd with NSH having a D and F tired for second. Doesn't change anything, just noting.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
Unless I glanced over it, Carolina has a 1 point difference with Teravainen in first.

SJ and NSH have a D man as top scorer, and OTT, CBJ have a D man in 2nd with NSH having a D and F tired for second. Doesn't change anything, just noting.
Not to mention John Klingberg is 2 pts back of Rads for first on the Stars.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017

After 63 games TOI/G:
Blake Wheeler - 20:19
Patrik Laine - 16:34
Nikolaj Ehlers - 16:06

Wheeler has played around 270 minutes more on ice than Ehlers and Laine while having Scheifele as his center. Not so impressive anymore?

Reactions: TaLoN

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Its amazing how Kopitar isn't in any conversation for Hart trophy, he plays in every situation pp/pk, 2nd most TOI amongs forwards in league, playing w/o their 2nd line center(Carter) through entire year leading Kings to playoffs, has 26 points lead on second scorer on team(70 to 44) with linemates of Brown and Iaffalo(undrafted rookie) while playing Selke defense. LA Kings are first in GA/GP, second in PK and he's the anchor. Someone explain to me how is Hall above him in terms of influence he has on his team winning. You remove him from this years team and they are playing for 1. draft pick.

Louder for the people in the back.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
in this thread i learned that radulov was leading dallas in scoring. not super surprising, but i mean seguin and benn.
Klingberg as well. I knew he was having a really good season but I'm really impressed

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
After 63 games TOI/G:
Blake Wheeler - 20:19
Patrik Laine - 16:34
Nikolaj Ehlers - 16:06

Wheeler has played around 270 minutes more on ice than Ehlers and Laine while having Scheifele as his center. Not so impressive anymore?

SH time on ice:
Wheeler 81:59
Ehlers 01:05
Laine 00:06

Still very impressed. Wheeler has more assists than any teammate has points. He also faces tougher competition and is defensively responsible.
One of the most underrated players in the league.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
You would have thought Gretzky was terrible at that. :help:
Meanwhile, I present you the real heros of this league: Brouwers, Rinaldo, Paajarvi, Eriksson. They do improve their teammates so drastically, that everyone has more points than them. Amazing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad