First Sabre on a long-term deal to demand out.

First Sabre on a long-term deal to demand out.

• Dahlin

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Thompson

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Samuelsson

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Cozens

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Power

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • No one

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
This thread is toxic
Results this year are not unexpected
Many had Sabres as not making playoffs
Next year is another matter

This year was evaluating talent
Some will be moved in off season
Next year should be playoff year

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
This thread is toxic

It's like deja vu. Is this March of 2023 or 2024?
whoa-deja-vu-matrix-glitch.gif

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
The entire team watches what happens for trades. There clearly was buy-in for the Byram trade, but they also know Pegula isn't maxing out the cap. This is now the norm in Buffalo. Look at 2020-21, 21-22, 22-23, 23-24...He ran out of wells
Perhaps…but all those players have seen him splash the cash on them…

Which makes the idea that they’re worried he’s not willing to spend questionable at best.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I suspect most of the guys on that list, if not every single one, are more likely thinking "I need to be better" rather than "get me outta here".

For now. Another season or two without a playoff berth and the allure of greener pastures will intensify.

Purely hypothetical at this point, but I wonder what affect seeing Casey hoisting a Cup in June would have on his Sabres contemporaries. Galvanizing or depressing?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
We aren't at that point.....yet.

I think this summer is definitely a 'show me' summer.

I doubt it's lost on the players that they had 6M+ in excess cap space unused this year, and even more last year when they missed the playoffs by a single point.

If they come back to training camp next year and there hasn't been a significant investment in the team, I have to think the players will be miffed.
They really have no way of avoiding being at the cap after next season.

Which makes the idea that they’re worried he’s not willing to spend questionable at best.
Folks point this out to him all the time - he’s still pushing the budget narrative but there is literally no way Pegula can avoid being at the cap within two seasons, with the contracts he’s already signed, plus Byram. In fact, we’ll have to part with someone somewhat significant as it is to stay under the cap.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
They really have no way of avoiding being at the cap after next season.

Folks point this out to him all the time - he’s still pushing the budget narrative but there is literally no way Pegula can avoid being at the cap within two seasons, with the contracts he’s already signed, plus Byram. In fact, we’ll have to part with someone somewhat significant as it is to stay under the cap.

They literally just sent a player out they were going to have to pay this summer on a long term deal.

There is no reason to assume we are going to pay all of Quinn/Peterka/Byram.

The only real 'unavoidable' contract right now is UPL, and my guess is it'll be 4-5 years at 5-6M per.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

First of all, you have to get to the floor, and they are going to spend beyond that or have no fans. I don't know the revenue-sharing rules, but he has to have some product on the ice.

I really wonder how many more years of Pegula cheaping out people need to see before they believe it is reality. We are $8.5 million below CAP this year; we were $20M + the year before. We don't use cap space at deadline yet again to improve returns

The players get their coin, do their job and certain ones will be happy to play in country club Buffalo -- bonus is the job ends in April with no two extra months of unpaid hockey.

I'm also concerned about the guys who want to stay here in this atmosphere of losing. How in the heck can Skinner never want to play in the playoffs? Why on earth would Girgensons stay? Eichel is an absolute jerk, but beyond the surgery debate, the guy wanted a deal with a winner.

Any player only concerned with his own contract and not watching them go the extra mile to put the best roster on the ice should be a red flag.

I'm not saying that is true right now, but if these guys are not wondering, I question if they want to win. Any guys who wants out of this atmosphere might be a guy I want to keep. O"Reilly was sick of it and got shipped out.

Pegula

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This thread is toxic

What are comments made throughout the 2022-2023 Season for $800?

Reactions: BFLO

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They literally just sent a player out they were going to have to pay this summer on a long term deal.

There is no reason to assume we are going to pay all of Quinn/Peterka/Byram.

The only real 'unavoidable' contract right now is UPL, and my guess is it'll be 4-5 years at 5-6M per.
that’s my point - they literally can’t keep all three of those players you listed and pay UPL that much. If they trade JJP for picks, they’ll only be like $1m - $3m under cap, assuming they’re replaced by ELCs. And I’m sure they’ll overpay some shitty vet by that point to take up that space.

The most likely scenario is that they’re within $1m - $2m of the cap for Skinner’s final 3 years AND godawful to boot.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
that’s my point - they literally can’t keep all three of those players you listed and pay UPL that much. If they trade JJP for picks, they’ll only be like $1m - $3m under cap, assuming they’re replaced by ELCs. And I’m sure they’ll overpay some shitty vet by that point to take up that space.

The most likely scenario is that they’re within $1m - $2m of the cap for Skinner’s final 3 years AND godawful to boot.
Krebs, Joker and UPL are the only ones that would have new contracts kick in next season, the following would be Quinn, Peterka, Byram, Johnson, Levi.

I think Joker is moved in the offseason
Bryson, Clague, Stillman dont get QOs
Comrie, VO, Jost, Robinson walk
Girgs resigns in the same ballpark
UPL in the 4mil range with term
Krebs probably in the 1.5-2mil range on a 1yr

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Krebs, Joker and UPL are the only ones that would have new contracts kick in next season, the following would be Quinn, Peterka, Byram, Johnson, Levi.

I think Joker is moved in the offseason
Bryson, Clague, Stillman dont get QOs
Comrie, VO, Jost, Robinson walk
Girgs resigns in the same ballpark
UPL in the 4mil range with term
Krebs probably in the 1.5-2mil range on a 1yr
If Joker is moved, he needs to be replaced by someone who doesn’t still need development. That kills your whole cap right there alone, since you’ll likely need to overpay a UFA. Or maybe there’s another way to acquire a solid, prime-aged RHD that I don’t know about.

We if we go into next year with Clifton being the only RHD, the team deserves what it gets.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
If Joker is moved, he needs to be replaced by someone who doesn’t still need development. That kills your whole cap right there alone, since you’ll likely need to overpay a UFA. Or maybe there’s another way to acquire a solid, prime-aged RHD that I don’t know about.

We if we go into next year with Clifton being the only RHD, the team deserves what it gets.
You have Dahlin, Byram, Power, Sammy, Ryjo, Clifton as 6 of the 7 D. From the looks of it the staff doesnt care about handedness as much as the boards do.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You have Dahlin, Byram, Power, Sammy, Ryjo, Clifton as 6 of the 7 D. From the looks of it the staff doesnt care about handedness as much as the boards do.
The staff that has done nothing but fail, fail, and fail again.

It’s okay to have Dahlin play on his offside but to be one injury away from not having a single right-handed player is not a recipe for success. I’m not sure success matters though so you’re probably right.

Your plan also still leaves empty spots that need filling. That costs money on the free agent market. All you did was cut but forgot to replace.

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
First of all, you have to get to the floor, and they are going to spend beyond that or have no fans. I don't know the revenue-sharing rules, but he has to have some product on the ice.

I really wonder how many more years of Pegula cheaping out people need to see before they believe it is reality. We are $8.5 million below CAP this year; we were $20M + the year before. We don't use cap space at deadline yet again to improve returns

The players get their coin, do their job and certain ones will be happy to play in country club Buffalo -- bonus is the job ends in April with no two extra months of unpaid hockey.

I'm also concerned about the guys who want to stay here in this atmosphere of losing. How in the heck can Skinner never want to play in the playoffs? Why on earth would Girgensons stay? Eichel is an absolute jerk, but beyond the surgery debate, the guy wanted a deal with a winner.

Any player only concerned with his own contract and not watching them go the extra mile to put the best roster on the ice should be a red flag.

I'm not saying that is true right now, but if these guys are not wondering, I question if they want to win. Any guys who wants out of this atmosphere might be a guy I want to keep. O"Reilly was sick of it and got shipped out.

Pegula
And the year before that we were a 75 point team and the year before that lost 18 straight…I wouldn’t want or expect another rush rebuild ala Murray so being way under the cap seems about right…

Dahlin and Power alone count for an extra 12M next year on the cap. Short of signing players to a 1 year deal, which is generally an indicator of some sort of red flag with the player, I’m glad they left themselves the flexibility to improve the team after. Spending to the cap this year likely would have ended the drought, but we wouldn’t have been cup contenders and it likely would be a hindrance long term… as it is we’re around 66Mnext year and need to add 4F, 2D and a goalie…

If they do nothing with the flexibility, then it might time to worry

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
And the year before that we were a 75 point team and the year before that lost 18 straight…I wouldn’t want or expect another rush rebuild ala Murray so being way under the cap seems about right…

Dahlin and Power alone count for an extra 12M next year on the cap. Short of signing players to a 1 year deal, which is generally an indicator of some sort of red flag with the player, I’m glad they left themselves the flexibility to improve the team after. Spending to the cap this year likely would have ended the drought, but we wouldn’t have been cup contenders and it likely would be a hindrance long term… as it is we’re around 66Mnext year and need to add 4F, 2D and a goalie…

If they do nothing with the flexibility, then it might time to worry
They have already done NOTHING with the flexibility for two trade deadlines. People equate spending to the cap with long-term deals, which is ridiculous. There are tons of one and two-year deals, trading of cap space that could have been done. They won't spend that extra money. Pegula is the guy who ridiculed the previous owner. He should be called out now.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
They have already done NOTHING with the flexibility for two trade deadlines. People equate spending to the cap with long-term deals, which is ridiculous. There are tons of one and two-year deals, trading of cap space that could have been done. They won't spend that extra money. Pegula is the guy who ridiculed the previous owner. He should be called out now.
if you think “won’t spend a couple hundred thousand to acquire a 4th round pick” equals “won’t spend money when it matters” I don’t know what to tell you…

Reactions: Bones Malone

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I vote no one, but I need more information on how Terry plans to handle this next phase.

If the 10+ million under the cap continues, and they lose talent like Quinn/Peterka because of money, then the above changes, and it goes from no one to everyone.

Reactions: Faceboner

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I vote no one, but I need more information on how Terry plans to handle this next phase.

If the 10+ million under the cap continues, and they lose talent like Quinn/Peterka because of money, then the above changes, and it goes from no one to everyone.
You really think they’re going to trade JJP or Quinn for picks just because they don’t want to spend to the cap? I really see no reason to think they’ll do this.

They should be thinking about trading those two players, but it should be in an attempt to build a balanced roster. If they’re ditching developing prospects for more picks then you’re right, every single player will rightfully ask out. But that’s not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad