First Round Predictions. Team by team. (1-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I like the Blues pick of Lee, but something tells me the team is going to go a bit off the map when making its selection. Given the fact the team needs an identity and is in a transition phase (with ownership and what not), I can see Pleau drafting a kid that the community will instantly relate to. My pick? Paul Stastny. I know he's not rated as a 1st rounder, but the Blues draft so late in the 1st round I can see a scenario like that unfolding.

What are the odds he'll be there at number 37 though? I don't think they'll reach like that since the media impact wouldn't be that big anyway.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't see the Rangers taking Kindl for some reason...just a feeling, but I think they'll take a forward and look for some other defensemen in the 2nd round with their 3 picks.

if a guy like bourret or latandresse is there at 16, I imagine they pick them instead of Kindl

nazzy

Mar 6, 2002
BC
www.gocanucks.net
Here's my take for the top 10..

1) Penguins - F Sidney Crosby
2) Ducks - D Jack Johnson
3) Hurricanes - F Benoit Pouliot
4) Wild - F Bobby Ryan
5) Canadiens - F Gilbert Brule
6) Blue Jackets - F Anze Kopitar
7) Blackhawks - F Jack Skille
8) Thrashers - D Luc Bourdon
9) Senators - G Carey Price
10) Canucks - F Martin Hanzal

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
CurtisJD13 said:
Columbus will draft a defenseman, or trade the pick. They will not draft another forward, I almost guarantee it. If Staal is available, he will be picked at #6, no doubt in my mind. If they can get a deal to get Johnson, they will take it, so long as it's not at huge expense. They will not draft Kopitar, nor Brule.

I don't agree with you on this one? The Jackets will pick up at least 2 UFA dmen and take Kopitar to one day center Nash and/or Zherdev. The only way they will draft a dman is if they get trade up for Johnson or pick up a quality UFA #1 center first. Then I could see Staal but why not trade down and pick up 2 prospect dmen at that point?

masked man

Nov 29, 2003
Especially in markets where hockey isnt as strong like Phoenix and Columbus, I think you will see a lot more US born players going there, thats why i wouldnt see it out of the question to see an American goalie drafted to these teams,maybe even take a chance at one in the first round. Kind of the same deal as Rick Dipeitro... But just in general i think a lot more Americans will get drafted this year then in years past. Teams just need something to get fans excited about. Modano was great for the game in that sort of way as well...

X0ssbar

masked man said:
Especially in markets where hockey isnt as strong like Phoenix and Columbus....

I stopped reading right there... <sigh>

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
"Yeah right! But at the cost of Brule and Kopitar???"

Habsaku said:
Exactly, his prediction makes no sense at all. Needs also vary from the time of the draft to when the player can actually play.

Geez I think you guys are being a little hard on me for my "mock draft".Like I said in my opening statement I haven't seen most of these guys play,and am probably way off.My statement of Montreal taking a dman makes pretty good sense to me.They already have Chipchura,Plekanec,and Locke at center.Bourdon is the 2nd best dman in the draft,no?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Plager05 said:
What are the odds he'll be there at number 37 though? I don't think they'll reach like that since the media impact wouldn't be that big anyway.

That's a fair point. I suppose he's likely to be there in the 2nd when the Blues pick again, but not 100% sure. He's a local product who has done well and has a famous last name. I think that might be enough to pick him earlier than anticipated.

turnbuckle*

pwil said:
"Yeah right! But at the cost of Brule and Kopitar???"

Geez I think you guys are being a little hard on me for my "mock draft".Like I said in my opening statement I haven't seen most of these guys play,and am probably way off.My statement of Montreal taking a dman makes pretty good sense to me.They already have Chipchura,Plekanec,and Locke at center.Bourdon is the 2nd best dman in the draft,no?

I would say Staal is the second rated defenceman - I have yet to see a list anywhere that has Bourdon as a top 8 player - I highly doubt that the Habs will pass over clearly established BPAs to pick Bourdon just because they are lacking defensive prospects. If ther is a clear cut BPA, you take him regardless of position. If Ryan is available with the 5th pick, you don't hesitate to take him over Bourdon, or IMO even Staal.

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
turnbuckle said:
I would say Staal is the second rated defenceman - I have yet to see a list anywhere that has Bourdon as a top 8 player - I highly doubt that the Habs will pass over clearly established BPAs to pick Bourdon just because they are lacking defensive prospects. If ther is a clear cut BPA, you take him regardless of position. If Ryan is available with the 5th pick, you don't hesitate to take him over Bourdon, or IMO even Staal.

I see the point you are making.In my opinion you take the best player available at the position you need help at most.Unless you don't feel that the best player at that position is going to fix your problems,that may very well be the case with Bourdon or Staal.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
1) Penguins - F Sidney Crosby
2) Ducks - F Gilbert Brule
3) Hurricanes - DJack Johnson
4) Wild - F Anze Kopitar
5) Canadians - F Bobby Ryan
6) Jackets - FBenoit Pouliot
7) Hawkes - F Ryan O'Marra
8) Thrashers - F Marek Zagrapan
9) Senators - G Carey Price
10) Canucks - F Jack Skille
11) Kings - D Marc Staal
12) Sharks - F Martin Hanzal
13) Sabres - D Luc Bourdon
14) Capitals - F Alex Bourret
15) Islanders - D Ryan Parent
16) Rangers - F Kenndal McArdle
17) Coyotes - F Guillame Latendresse
18) Predators - F Andrew Cogliano
19) Red Wings - F Nik Bergfors
20) Flyers - F Devin Setoguchi
21) Leafs - GTukka Rask
22) Bruins - F Dan Bertram
23) Devils - D Brian Lee
24) Blues - D Jakub Kindl
25) Oilers - D Brendan Mikkelson
26) Flames - F Ryan Stoa
27) Avalanche - Chris Lawrence
28) Stars - F Chris Durand
29) Panthers - F Radek Smolenak
30) Lightning - F Slava Trukhno

turnbuckle*

That's the second list I've seen today with Lawrence in the first round - I really can't see it. If he's anywhere close to a first-round pick then in my mind the depth in this draft really starts to wane after the top 20. I can't help but think that there will be more than 4 European-trained players taken in the first round, players that aren't getting much hype on this side of the Atlantic. Istomin, Burachikov, Korhonen, Vojta, Mikus, Lelkes, Laakso, etc. It's really hard to say where those players will end up, but given what I saw at the under 18s at least, more than a couple of them should go ahead of Lawrence at least. IMO there are about 18 NA and four or five Europeans that are pretty much pencilled in as first rounders.

NA:

Crosby
Pouliot
Staal
Parent
Ryan
Bourret
Lashoff
Bourdon
Johnson
Lee
Skille
Zagrapan
Kindl
McArdle
Cogliano
Mikkelson
Setoguchi
Latendresse (I think he's iffy)

Outside chance:

Jackson
Bertram
Durand
Stoa

European first rounders:

Kopitar
Hanzal
Bergfors
Rask

That still leaves a few slots in the first round, and some of the Europeans I listed above (or perhaps others) may fill in at least a few of those spots. I think it's a real crapshoot after the top 20 or so picks.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Pittsburgh- Sidney Crosby
Anaheim- Jack Johnson
Carolina- Marc Staal
Minnesota- Bobby Ryan
Montreal- Gilbert Brule
Columbus- Benoit Pouliot
Chicago- Jack Skille
Atlanta- Anze Kopitar
Ottawa- Carey Price
Vancouver- Kendal McArdle
Los Angeles- Tuukka Rask
San Jose- Ryan O Marra
Buffalo- Alex Bourret
Washington- Martin Hanzal
NY Islanders- Ryan Parent
NY Rangers- Niklas Bergfors
Phoenix- Marek Zagrapan
Nashville-Guillaume Latendresse
Detroit- Jakub Kindl
Philadelphia- Brendan Mikkelsen
Toronto- Andrej Pavelec
Boston- Ryan Stoa
New Jersey- Matt Niskanen
St. Louis- Dan Bertram
Edmonton- Devin Setoguchi
Calgary- Chris Durand
Colorado- Daniel Ryder
Dallas- Brian Lee
Florida- Luc Bourdon
Tampa Bay- Andrew Cogliano

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Next person who writes Rask to Kings should be shot there is no way its happening unless we trade up to late 20's or use our 2nd round pick. Its called Jamie Storr we do not pick a golie first round anymore - Kings go BPA

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
AnThGrt said:
Next person who writes Rask to Kings should be shot there is no way its happening unless we trade up to late 20's or use our 2nd round pick. Its called Jamie Storr we do not pick a golie first round anymore - Kings go BPA
If Kings go BPA, and they think the BPA is Rask, they shouldn't take him?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Again, Minnesota ephasizes SPEED more than anything...

Ryan, Brule or Pouliot...Hmmm...I think I would pick Pouliot...

cooker24

May 7, 2002
Visit site
What time does the draft start? I mean, when Crosby is officially drafted and not when McGuire is busy telling/yelling about how *insert prospect name* is a monster!

I'm planning on skipping some work and need to work out a well-planned schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad