New York Islanders: First Round Playoff Talk Thread: Islanders vs Hurricanes

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, I don't see them winning in Carolina. The Canes are a poised group, Brindy will have them ready. NYI looks anything but poised.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I do hope they can a balanced game, so we don't have this as a scapegoat again.
Lets just play clean. if the canes are going to get us penalized a ton, regardless of what happens, so be it. I just hate that we have to do this argument about referees because its the second time we're doing it about Carolina.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
As someone who was/is annoyed with the officiating in the entire playoffs (not just the Isles), the officiating cannot be a scapegoat. The best teams overcome these hurdles.

I meant that in the context of revealing that this team is truly flawed, and officiating plays a very small role.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Huge win, of course.

Now to the next one, at home.

Shift for shift, period for period. One at a time.

For my taste, Carolina had far too many sustained periods of pressure last night. Saw too many times an Islander had a 100% out from the NYI zone - and didn't get it out.

That WILL backfire if it continues. The team will pay the price for it. If you're a yard or two from that blueline and you have 2 seconds with the puck, it's gotta get over that blueline. It cannot stay in the zone, much less be put in full possession of the opponent.

For now, take it any way you can get it. Lots of sweat and bruises invested in this victory.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
yea, too passive for my likes last night. I do wonder is Lane changes up the PK strategy. Can't give Burns so much room to fire it. My dime store two cents. LGI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Noah Dobson is having one of the worst playoff series I’ve ever seen from a dman. If lane still has him in pp1 tomorrow that’s enough for me to determine he has no clue what’s going on here (I’ve already determined that but still)
I’m actually more confident with Aho on the top PP than Dobson. Aho has better lateral movement and a sneaky wristshot but can also one time it.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
For my taste, Carolina had far too many sustained periods of pressure last night. Saw too many times an Islander had a 100% out from the NYI zone - and didn't get it out.

That WILL backfire if it continues. The team will pay the price for it. If you're a yard or two from that blueline and you have 2 seconds with the puck, it's gotta get over that blueline. It cannot stay in the zone, much less be put in full possession of the opponent.

For now, take it any way you can get it. Lots of sweat and bruises invested in this victory.
The Isles preferred style of play along the boards and behind their own goal line is a recipe for disaster against Carolina. The Canes are more than happy to attack the puck and regain possession while the Isles try to grind the puck out of the zone. They'd be better off flipping the puck into the air all night like Philly started doing against us in the bubble and make their defenders handle the puck and regroup.

Reactions: 13th Floor

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I expect them to control the play a little more at home Friday than they did last night on the road, but that first goal and staying out of the box is paramount if they want a good chance at pushing this series to game seven.

Reactions: JKP and bstash19

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
How many times do they have to leave a guy wide open for the cross ice slam dunk for Lane to maybe tell his guys "Hey you gotta cover that f***ing part of the ice?"
I'm not a big "fire the coach" guy but one thing that is blatantly obvious in this series is that one coaching staff has tailored a strategy to the opponent and has a binder of set plays ready to go (some of which have already been used to success), and the other is pretty much content playing their own way, whether or not the opponent is allowing it.

Reactions: MJF

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Well they played with more energy and pace last night. hopefully that continues. they absolutely have to stay out of the box because they cannot stop the canes pp, which is shocking given how decent the pp was this year. As for the PP, i would never, ever, have less than 2 dman on the ice at any time during the PP as it is a turnover machine and cant even get in the zone. Also, I might just put the 4th line out there since our PP cant do shit anyways

other than that, great game! gritty win, gotta be a lot better tho, too many open chances. Sorokin stole us one, maybe the boys could give him one, occasionally?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I expect them to control the play a little more at home Friday than they did last night on the road, but that first goal and staying out of the box is paramount if they want a good chance at pushing this series to game seven.

Statistically home teams lose game 6s more often than not when they were down 3-1 (.347 win pct) vs coming off a road win 2-2 (.563 win pct) I'd assume that is because if you were down 3-1 it means you are more mismatched than if you were 2-2. Therefore I am way less confident than I was vs WSH in 2015/FLA 2016 or any 2021 series

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Statistically home teams lose game 6s more often than not when they were down 3-1 (.347 win pct) vs coming off a road win 2-2 (.563 win pct) I'd assume that is because if you were down 3-1 it means you are more mismatched than if you were 2-2. Therefore I am way less confident than I was vs WSH in 2015/FLA 2016 or any 2021 series
At the same time, one could argue the Islanders had game two in their sights and blew it. Also game four they beat themselves by taking too many penalities.

We shall see!

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think being down 3-2 accurately reflects the state of play this series. It was closer than 3-1 and we were due to catch a break (or more accurately, have Sorokin steal us a game). Isles are behind but have a real chance to steal this series.

Outside of Cizikas, the 4th line looks really rough. Dobson and Pageau seem to have regressed also. On the bright side, Barzal is getting better each game and Horvat is giving 110% effort out there even if the production isn't showing up. Isles are going to have to play aggressive, physical and smart to advance. I don't think following the Game 5 blueprint for two more games will work.

In both the Pit and Bos series two years ago, we stole road game 5 that we were heavily outplayed and then came back and played a great Game 6 at home. Hopefully that trend continues.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Huge win, of course.

Now to the next one, at home.

Shift for shift, period for period. One at a time.

The only point in the game I felt the Islanders had sustained control of the puck was the first 10 minutes of the 3rd period. The other 50 minutes I thought the Hurricanes were bringing the game to us. This is no way to live fellas.

Maybe the extra day off will allow us to come out with a big push on Friday night.

I’m actually more confident with Aho on the top PP than Dobson. Aho has better lateral movement and a sneaky wristshot but can also one time it.
Dobson on the power play is fine shooting the puck, not so fine at reading his pass options, and dreadful at protecting the puck when the PKers pressure him. In fact, I think puck protection and boxing out are the worst parts of his all around game. Maybe he should spend this summer on the Island working out with Matt Martin the way Wahlstrom did last year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm not a big "fire the coach" guy but one thing that is blatantly obvious in this series is that one coaching staff has tailored a strategy to the opponent and has a binder of set plays ready to go (some of which have already been used to success), and the other is pretty much content playing their own way, whether or not the opponent is allowing it.
I was thinking about the same as you are here. Lambert seems to be reluctant to go away from things that he thinks should be working, he's almost stubborn in that. He reminds me of MLB managers who run the game by their binder, instead of going with the feel of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad