First Pair Of Skates

waterblast02

May 1, 2007
Hey. Im looking at picking up some ice skates for the first time. Hit up the rink a few times and really enjoying it. I just found some 2006 CCM Vector 3.0s for only $70. Would those be worthwhile for learning to play ice hockey? Or should I look into some of the skates in the $150-200 range? I would like to buy some skates in a shop, but theres not too many places selling ice hockey gear in the San Diego area. Thank you.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Go and try some on. Find the skate that fits you best. I try not to recommend the low end equipment because it's not too durable but if you are unsure whether you're going to stick with it you might as well save some money.

If you plan on continuing playing it's better to invest a little more on skates, because poor fitting skates are going to hold you back and of course if they don't last you'll be buying another pair and in the long run it will cost you more.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
Hey. Im looking at picking up some ice skates for the first time. Hit up the rink a few times and really enjoying it. I just found some 2006 CCM Vector 3.0s for only $70. Would those be worthwhile for learning to play ice hockey? Or should I look into some of the skates in the $150-200 range? I would like to buy some skates in a shop, but theres not too many places selling ice hockey gear in the San Diego area. Thank you.

I actually live in the San Diego area. You can try one a few different pairs of skates at Play It Again. Not sure exactly what area of SD you're in, but there are a ton of different shops. You can also try on a few different pairs at rinks around town. The San Diego Ice Arena where I play hockey has a shop that sells skates. I would try a bunch of different pairs on and then see how much they are at somewhere like HockeyGiant.com or Hockeymonkey.com. They're shipping is pretty fast because they are in Carlsbad (their warehouse) and Santa Ana respectively. If you don't mind the drive, HockeyGiant and HockeyMonkey have outlet stores that you can go to in OC. They have a huge selection of skates and they're prices are great.

I would stay away from the lower end if you plan to play hockey. You end up with blisters and your arches will start hurting most likely.

Hope this helps!

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Don't do what he said :D /\ The mention of using the store as a fitting room kills most ppl who work or own LHS, heheh. Buy as much skate as you can afford is the best tip. Don't cheap out on them since the skates I think are most important...and higher end skates are a bit stiffer and protective too which is helpful.

waterblast02

May 1, 2007
Im up in Fallbrook which is maybe 15 minutes north of Escondido. Ill call up some stores down closer to the city and see what they carry. Ive checked out the skates at the Iceoplex in Escondido, but they mainly carry the $300 plus skates. My budget will probably be between $150-$250 once I figure out what kind of job I can get for the summer. Ill also go ahead and maybe see about stopping in at those shops in Orange County. Thanks for the help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad