Proposal: First Overall Pick

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
I know everyone thinks we have no shot at getting one of these picks.
Colorado: does sending Coburn, Read plus conditional pick on him resigning or Hartnell plus 11pick

For

1st pick and 3rd rounder in 13 or 14

Get at least a solid pause or chance of being excepted?

I know everyone thinks it will take more but your getting a top 6 top 4 and still basically a top 10 pick. I'm sure they'd prefer The forward to be a top 3.

But is this proposal really that off?
What are your thoughts on what you think it would take?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Colorado: does sending Coburn, Read plus conditional pick on him resigning or Hartnell plus 11pick

For

I know everyone thinks it will take more but your getting a top 6 top 4 and still basically a top 10 pick. I'm sure they'd prefer The forward to be a top 3.

No thank you.

Acc. to today'd reports, the Avs are taking McKinnon. If you want Jones, its the 2nd overall pick you need.

IMHO, Jones is not that much better than Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Morin, Morrissey that it would worth trading so many key assets to get him.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
No thank you.

Acc. to today'd reports, the Avs are taking McKinnon. If you want Jones, its the 2nd overall pick you need.

IMHO, Jones is not that much better than Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Morin, Morrissey that it would worth trading so many key assets to get him.

Wow, really? I thought Jones was a LOCK to go to the avalanche. :amazed:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

For

There is no way in hell Colorado would do that trade. First of all, Colorado would not add a third rounder to the deal. Second of all, why would they take as a centerpeice for the deal a guy who is a UFA and epxecting what will likely be a large raise (what would the conditional pick be...if it is not a first don't even bother), while at the same time dropping ten places in the draft and likely missing out on all the blue-chip prospect.

Would you trde #1 overall (plus a third) for that? I know I wouldn't.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia

For

That's not even close to what it would take in order to get the first overall. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Coburn + Read for Jones + 3rd? lol? I'd do that in a heartbeat. I fail to see the need for a conditional pick.. conditional on what? :laugh:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Wow, really? I thought Jones was a LOCK to go to the avalanche. :amazed:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_23489308/avalanche-pass-seth-jones-take-forward-joe-sakic

After a week of internal meetings, Avalanche brass came to a conclusion: Jones won't be their pick. Instead, it could be any one of three forwards: Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin or Alexander Barkov.

"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards," Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic told The Denver Post.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_23489308/avalanche-pass-seth-jones-take-forward-joe-sakic

After a week of internal meetings, Avalanche brass came to a conclusion: Jones won't be their pick. Instead, it could be any one of three forwards: Nathan MacKinnon, Jonathan Drouin or Alexander Barkov.

"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards," Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic told The Denver Post.

Sounds like an obvious ploy to get Florida to trade up to 1st overall so they can get another asset. It's a no-lose situation to say they want MacKinnon.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly

For months now I can recall the Florida boards being ecstatic that they were gonna get a #1 center in MacK. Guess that may not be the case now.. haha.

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
That's not even close to what it would take in order to get the first overall. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Coburn + Read for Jones + 3rd? lol? I'd do that in a heartbeat. I fail to see the need for a conditional pick.. conditional on what? :laugh:

Pretty sure I put the 11th pick in there too might want to get your reading glasses out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Our spare parts and the 11th pick for the 1st pick? :laugh:

Some of you guys really need to look at it from the other teams perspective too when thinking these things up.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I think the only way we would get the 1st OA pick out of Col would be for a package something like this:

Coburn (to play on their top pairing with EJ)
+
Simmonds (a young physical top 6 PWF)
+
our 1st (11th OA)

I think THAT gets the Avs thinking but even then I think they just stick with the pick and take Big Mac in the hopes that he turns out like Stamkos and Taveres (and there's a dmaned good probability he does too). Now that's a hell of a package I've put together there and it doesn't make much sense from our stand point (we don't NEED another Giroux type player, we need to build around Claude) but the Avs don't need more depth players, they need an impact player like Giroux.

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
I think the only way we would get the 1st OA pick out of Col would be for a package something like this:

Coburn (to play on their top pairing with EJ)
+
Simmonds (a young physical top 6 PWF)
+
our 1st (11th OA)

I think THAT gets the Avs thinking but even then I think they just stick with the pick and take Big Mac in the hopes that he turns out like Stamkos and Taveres (and there's a dmaned good probability he does too). Now that's a hell of a package I've put together there and it doesn't make much sense from our stand point (we don't NEED another Giroux type player, we need to build around Claude) but the Avs don't need more depth players, they need an impact player like Giroux.

Thank you for the productive post. Yeah I put Hartnell in as an option cuz they could use a Simmonds or Hartnell but obviously our first choice would be to keep Simmer. Idk if I actually believe Colorado won't take Jones. I really don't know what you could offer Florida if they're up and Jones is still there.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Pretty sure I put the 11th pick in there too might want to get your reading glasses out.

"does sending Coburn, Read plus conditional pick on him resigning or Hartnell plus 11pick"

I interpreted that as:

Coburn, Read, Conditional Pick for 1st OVRL

OR

Hartnell, 11th for 1st OVRL

Now I see what you meant, but lets not act like you made it exceptionally clear.

Last edited:

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I am starting to lean towards just keeping the team we have now, adding a veteran goalie and a winger for the second/third line. Of course I wouldn't pass up a good deal if it makes the team better. But i would like to keep the pick we have and hopefully select a guy that will at the very least be a very good defenseman, if not a #1. Let this team grow together after having a disappointing season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We don't have the depth to do package deals for 1 guy. Let along a guy(Jones) that will not be as good as Coburn for 1-3 years. And we lose Read, and the 11th..who could end up better than Jones anyways. Stay put at 11 and draft a replacement for Kimmo or Streit.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I am starting to lean towards just keeping the team we have now, adding a veteran goalie and a winger for the second/third line. Of course I wouldn't pass up a good deal if it makes the team better. But i would like to keep the pick we have and hopefully select a guy that will at the very least be a very good defenseman, if not a #1. Let this team grow together after having a disappointing season.

Agreed. I think there are 5 really good defenseman in this draft. Of those 5 maybe 2 or 3 turn out to be 1st pairing guys - so the Flyers are in a good spot at 11. I wish it were 8 but when it comes to the Flyers drafting defenseman - I wouldn't mind somebody with the 8th pick taking the guy they wanted. It sure worked out with Giroux that way. This team needs to just grow together to be a contender in a couple years.

feedingschennzy

Feb 11, 2012
Does anybody else think that given the ever increasing likelihood of Colorado passing on Seth Jones, we try to swing a trade to florida for Kulikov? I would do couturier straight up or other pieces

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
We would need to move up into the top 5 to even get their attention. Is this even close or am I way off?

To Carolina
Coburn
11th overall

To Philadelphia
5th overall

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
We would need to move up into the top 5 to even get their attention. Is this even close or am I way off?

To Carolina
Coburn
11th overall

To Philadelphia
5th overall
I don't even see the point in this. Coburn really is valuable to our team. He plays 23 minutes/game, is big, fast and plays great vs. the Penguins. Why would anyone consider trading him for anyone, including Bobby Ryan or to move up 6 places in the draft is beyond me.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

I'm leaning this way too. Forget Ryan. Talk about Bernier at the cost of Read and 2nd round pick next year or one of Cousins/Noebels. Any more, pass.

Buy out Bryz too. Sign Emery or another UFA goalie, or trade for Halak or Elliott or Hillier.

There are other teams like St.Louis who have vet goalies and kids coming up, who will need to shed a goalie.

This team isn't going to win the Cup next season anyway, let's just build for the future and not get rid of good players like Coburn, or Read, unnecessarily.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I honestly don't even want the #1 pick. I would rather not trade away our team and try to get Nurse instead.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I honestly don't even want the #1 pick. I would rather not trade away our team and try to get Nurse instead.
What's with the hype around Nurse? From the videos I've seen he looks like Coburn 2.0. Good, but not someone to build a defense around.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Yeah Nurse doesn't seem to be someone that I think we should be interested in. I don't get the love for him either.

I'm guessing because of his relation to McNabb, comparisons to Pronger, and the fact that he's big and mean make people feel like he's a fit for Philly. Not that I disagree, but I think we have other needs first. I'm happy with Schenn playing our mean shutdown defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00