First Game in Las Vegas: October 10th.

PuckProphet

Apr 28, 2017
Debating the Sin Bin guys on who would be the best first opponent.. I chose the Blackhawks which in truth makes no sense beyond Hawks fans watching .....And the fact that popular teams draws big crowds .... The fact that they sold 16k season ticket deposits i have to believe the fulfillment rate will be around 90% that takes the crowd argument out of it ...It should be a Canadian team but most likely the Coyotes or California team.... It only really matters for the historical record ....
what does matter is they play .500 hockey first 20 games ....Be competitive

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm going to say San Jose.

I'd predict LA or Arizona too, but it's boring if we all thing it's the same teams. :laugh:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It's almost definitely going to be a NBCSN game so I think that pretty much rules out any chance of the opponent being the Avs/Yotes. I also don't think they'll go for a team like the Kings or Sharks that could travel well and invade T-Mobile Arena with secondary market tickets. The Ducks aren't a big draw ratings wise. The Rangers have a tendency to start on west coast trips and like the Blackhawks get big ratings. I think those 2 are the most likely.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think they'll go San Jose to try to capture northern Nevada right off the bat.

Lots of Sharks fans up there.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It's almost definitely going to be a NBCSN game so I think that pretty much rules out any chance of the opponent being the Avs/Yotes. I also don't think they'll go for a team like the Kings or Sharks that could travel well and invade T-Mobile Arena with secondary market tickets. The Ducks aren't a big draw ratings wise. The Rangers have a tendency to start on west coast trips and like the Blackhawks get big ratings. I think those 2 are the most likely.

The Rangers do seem to open up in random spots, but in this instance, I think there's a ZERO% chance of them being the Knights opening night foe.

The Kings seem like the obvious pick, especially with the NBCSN component.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You think it would have to be a west coast team since it's likely to start at 7:00 or so. I don't know if they're going to want an east coast team starting their season at 10:00 Local.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Kings make the most sense with the history of Frozen Fury in Vegas. But since it would mean an invasion of Silver and Black up the I-15 for the Golden Knights' first game in their new house it does make sense to use a different opponent for the first one.

So I'll agree with the Sharks making a lot of sense. Western division rival, regional rival for the rockies, but not a team that is going to travel well to Vegas.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I hope to Hell it's not an NBCSN game. I know, I know. It would be great to have the national exposure, but, I hate having to listen to a different team's broadcasters, when the team I'm watching is playing at home.

As a Kings fan who lives in Washington (state), whenever they play on NBCSN, I get the so-called "neutral" play-by-play. Usually either the Sharks' or Ducks' broadcast team for the West games, or Mike Emrick & Eddie Olcyzk for the Eastern Zone games. Only time I heard any Kings announcers, was when they paired up Jim Fox with Randy Hahn of the Sharks for a game against S.J. It's not that I think my team's crew is better at calling games than anyone else. It's just a comfort-type of feeling listening to your "home" broadcasters calling your "home" team.

As for who the opener will be against, Kings or Sharks are both logical, but, I'll say the Avalanche. Why not start off with a battle between the "Teams of the Rockies"?

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I hope to Hell it's not an NBCSN game. I know, I know. It would be great to have the national exposure, but, I hate having to listen to a different team's broadcasters, when the team I'm watching is playing at home.

As a Kings fan who lives in Washington (state), whenever they play on NBCSN, I get the so-called "neutral" play-by-play. Usually either the Sharks' or Ducks' broadcast team for the West games, or Mike Emrick & Eddie Olcyzk for the Eastern Zone games. Only time I heard any Kings announcers, was when they paired up Jim Fox with Randy Hahn of the Sharks for a game against S.J. It's not that I think my team's crew is better at calling games than anyone else. It's just a comfort-type of feeling listening to your "home" broadcasters calling your "home" team.

As for who the opener will be against, Kings or Sharks are both logical, but, I'll say the Avalanche. Why not start off with a battle between the "Teams of the Rockies"?

Might actually start off with a win if it's the Avs too. :laugh:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
You think it would have to be a west coast team since it's likely to start at 7:00 or so. I don't know if they're going to want an east coast team starting their season at 10:00 Local.

Wait - this won't be a team "starting their season", it'll just be the Knights home opener. Based on the preseason schedule ending on 10/1, I'd imagine the regular season will kick off on Wednesday 10/4 (it always seems to start on Wednesday). I predict the standard ritual: double-header in Canada in Rogers (MTL-TOR and CGY-EDM), and a double-header on NBCSN involving the beloved NBC teams and a possible raising of the Cup banner.

That would mean that any visiting team at T-Mobile Arena on 10/10 will likely have already played 2-3 games ahead of time. As others have stated, having this game on NBCSN makes a lot of sense, but the question is whether they want to bring in their own PxP team or just have it be the Sharks and they can use the CSN crew. So yeah, that's my bet - Knights vs. Sharks on NBCSN with Randy Hahn calling the game.

On a side note, it looks like Southwest has flights from LAX to Vegas on 10/10 for $42, so the sooner we can get this confirmed so I can book my cheap plane ticket the better. ;)

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Wait - this won't be a team "starting their season", it'll just be the Knights home opener. Based on the preseason schedule ending on 10/1, I'd imagine the regular season will kick off on Wednesday 10/4 (it always seems to start on Wednesday). I predict the standard ritual: double-header in Canada in Rogers (MTL-TOR and CGY-EDM), and a double-header on NBCSN involving the beloved NBC teams and a possible raising of the Cup banner.

That would mean that any visiting team at T-Mobile Arena on 10/10 will likely have already played 2-3 games ahead of time. As others have stated, having this game on NBCSN makes a lot of sense, but the question is whether they want to bring in their own PxP team or just have it be the Sharks and they can use the CSN crew. So yeah, that's my bet - Knights vs. Sharks on NBCSN with Randy Hahn calling the game.

On a side note, it looks like Southwest has flights from LAX to Vegas on 10/10 for $42, so the sooner we can get this confirmed so I can book my cheap plane ticket the better. ;)

Yeah, I think the timing is off a little. I forgot that last season was pushed a little due to the WCH so my timing was thrown. When I saw the date I assumed the Tuesday game in Las Vegas would kickoff the season the day prior to the usual Wednesday start. You could be right that this would just be the Vegas home opener versus the opening game of the season.

If the game on the 10th isn't the first game of the season, it looks like the season would start on the 4th and the Knights would start off on the road. I don't know if I dig that.

Last edited:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Yeah, I think the timing is off a little. I forgot that last season was pushed a little due to the WCH so my timing was thrown. When I saw the date I assumed the Tuesday game in Las Vegas would kickoff the season the day prior to the usual Wednesday start. You could be right that this would just be the Vegas home opener versus the opening game of the season.

If the game on the 10th isn't the first game of the season, it looks like the season would start on the 4th and the Knights would start off on the road. I don't know if I dig that.

No, I think it's perfect that the Knights will start on the road. The beginning of the season (and the raising of the Cup banner) has enough hoopla around it - as does the first HNIC that Saturday - so I love the idea of Vegas getting a couple of games under their belts and then coming home. Let them play on Thursday/Friday + Saturday/Sunday and then have them travel back and rest for Tuesday night.

The Tuesday home opener is absolutely perfect if you ask me:

Tue 10/3: MLB one-game playoff #1
Wed 10/4: NHL season kicks off (possible Cup banner raising) + MLB one-game playoff #2
Thu 10/5: 10-12 more NHL games (possible Cup banner raising) + Thursday night NFL game + MLB playoffs
Fri 10/6: more NHL games (possible Cup banner raising) + MLB playoffs
Sat 10/7: first Saturday of NHL season, including HNIC + MLB playoff games all day + college football
Sun 10/8: MLB playoffs + NFL
Mon 10/9: MLB playoffs + Monday Night Football

With any luck, many of the MLB playoff series will be over by 10/10, and there's no football to speak of. It's really the perfect day for Vegas to have their home opener.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
No, I think it's perfect that the Knights will start on the road. The beginning of the season (and the raising of the Cup banner) has enough hoopla around it - as does the first HNIC that Saturday - so I love the idea of Vegas getting a couple of games under their belts and then coming home. Let them play on Thursday/Friday + Saturday/Sunday and then have them travel back and rest for Tuesday night.

The Tuesday home opener is absolutely perfect if you ask me:

Tue 10/3: MLB one-game playoff #1
Wed 10/4: NHL season kicks off (possible Cup banner raising) + MLB one-game playoff #2
Thu 10/5: 10-12 more NHL games (possible Cup banner raising) + Thursday night NFL games + MLB playoffs
Fri 10/6: more NHL games (possible Cup banner raising) + MLB playoffs
Sat 10/7: first Saturday of NHL season, including HNIC + MLB playoff games all day + college football
Sun 10/8: MLB playoffs + NFL
Mon 10/9: MLB playoffs + Monday Night Football

With any luck, many of the MLB playoff series will be over by 10/10, and there's no football to speak of. It's really the perfect day for Vegas to have their home opener.

How about Thursday opener in LA vs the Kings, Saturday HNIC vs the Canucks and Tuesday Home opener in the home and home with the Canucks.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
How about Thursday opener in LA vs the Kings, Saturday HNIC vs the Canucks and Tuesday Home opener in the home and home with the Canucks.

I was thinking maybe the Knights could do Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton in the first four days of the season, then come home for the home opener. Perhaps, Vancouver on Thursday, Edmonton on Saturday (HNIC) and Calgary on Sunday.

But to your point (and mine) - I have a hard time believing CBC is going to want to have an expansion team play in the first HNIC late game. It seems like those are almost always reserved for two of the western Canada teams to face off. But I could be wrong. And I love your idea of having the home opener be the back half of a home-and-home. :)

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Oh good grief buy the ticket. I've spent more money on happy meals during a trip to McDonalds.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
If the Knights are opening the season on the road (before the 10th), wouldn't it be neat if the first game was against the Stanley Cup Champions? It would be either in Nashville, or one of Ottawa/Pittsburgh.

Obviously, we might have our ***** handed to us. But, it would be a nice welcoming from the established Champion to the new kid on the block. Plus, if we happen to have one of the Champ's former players with us (Fleury, Jarnkrok, etc.), they could be able to come out on the ice when the banner is raised, and get acknowledged by the crowd.

I know, sounds like Fantasyland, but, I think it would be kinda cool. :yo:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If the Knights are opening the season on the road (before the 10th), wouldn't it be neat if the first game was against the Stanley Cup Champions? It would be either in Nashville, or one of Ottawa/Pittsburgh.

Obviously, we might have our ***** handed to us. But, it would be a nice welcoming from the established Champion to the new kid on the block. Plus, if we happen to have one of the Champ's former players with us (Fleury, Jarnkrok, etc.), they could be able to come out on the ice when the banner is raised, and get acknowledged by the crowd.

I know, sounds like Fantasyland, but, I think it would be kinda cool. :yo:

Not to be snarky, but that's a horrible idea. Takes the focus entirely off the Vegas team while the Champ is celebrating their Cup, raising the banner etc. If they do open on the road, I'd prefer it was a division rivalry game. Avs, Yotes, Ducks would all be great options.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
You're not snarky, Boris. I see where you're coming from.

I agree a Division game would be the most logical choice. I'm a Kings fan, so, I wouldn't be surprised if L.A. & L.V. clash in the 1st game. I'm just running scenarios in my head as to possible 1st's for the Knights.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
1st game or first home game?

Depends on when the season starts. If it starts that Wednesday it's the first game. If it starts the previous week it's the first home game.

I don't think anyone's said when the season actually starts yet, but seeing as the last preseason game for the Knights is 10/1, I'm guessing it's the first home game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad