First Crack at a Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Although I've lurked for quite some time, I only recently signed up. I did this mock a few weeks back. I'm sure I'll do another before the draft, but this is what I came up with. I looked at what people thought their respective teams needed, who was ranked where and each team's propensity for making that 'what were they thinking' choice.

I know some of this is a pipe dream. I, for one, would be thrilled if Meszaros fell to the Canucks. I don't see it happening on draft day, but it did this time around. I don't have the energy to attempt to explain every pick now, but if you've got a question, I'll try to answer it.

Please bear in mind that like with all mock drafts, this is pure conjecture. It might be the case that, for example, the Rangers don't pick Schremp. I'd prefer not to hear that "The Rangers will never take Schremp, they'll take Ladd" or whomever. They might....but then again, they might not. I've truly got no idea. I know if I was the individual team's, I wouldn't make some of the picks they make, nor would I pick some of the players in the positions they have gone in this mock.

Also, I think that there will be a few trades, but it would be foolish at this point to try to predict them. Given Mike Keenan's history of trading, the Panthers might do something. Mike Milbury hasn't done anything too silly lately, so he might feel compelled to get involved. Dave Nonis may wish to make a name for himself out of the gate, so the Canucks may well do something. Who knows? In any case...

Fire away!

POSSIBLE PICK
TEAM Player Pos
1 Washington Alexander Ovechkin LW
2 Pittsburgh Evgeni Malkin C
3 Chicago Rostislav Olesz C
4 Columbus Cam Barker D
5 Phoenix Lauri Tukonen RW
6 NYR Robbie Schremp C
7 Florida Andrew Ladd LW
8 Carolina Drew Stafford RW
9 Anaheim Alexandre Picard LW
10 Atlanta AJ Thelen D
11 LA Marek Schwarz G
12 Minnesota Al Montoya G
13 Buffalo Ladislav Smid D
14 Edmonton Devan Dubnyk G
15 Nashville Kyle Chipchura C
16 NYI Alexander Radulov RW
17 St Louis Wojtek Wolski LW
18 Montreal Mike Green D
19 Calgary Bruce Graham C
20 Dallas Boris Valabik D
21 Colorado Petteri Nokelainen C
22 NJ Lauri Korpikoski LW
23 Ottawa Travis Zajac C
24 NYR Wes O'Neill D
25 Edmonton Dave Bolland C
26 Vancouver Andrej Meszaros D
27 Washington Kirill Lyaminn D
28 San Jose Lukas Kaspar RW
29 Tampa Cory Schneider G
30 Washington Viktor Alexandrov RW

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pretty solid. Aside from "The Rangers will take Ladd over Schremp", my only disagreement would be that I would think Korpikowski is more likely to go higher than Nokelainen, and I was be surprsied to see Radulov drop all the way to 16.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ducks will take Thelen over Picard any day of the week. Or, hopefully they do.

I'm pretty sure Minny won't draft a goalie at 12th overall. Maybe in the later rounds, but with Harding in their prospect pool, they're practically set.

Safir*

AJ Thelen to the Thrashers that would make me a happy camper.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
Ducks will take Thelen over Picard any day of the week. Or, hopefully they do.

I'm pretty sure Minny won't draft a goalie at 12th overall. Maybe in the later rounds, but with Harding in their prospect pool, they're practically set.

I'm not sure that the "Ducks will take Thelen over Picard any day of the week". I have nothing against Thelen and wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks took him (assuming, of course, that he's still available at #9). However, in light of the fact that the Ducks already have Ozolinsh, Martin Skoula and Marc Popovic and just signed Aaron Rome yesterday, Thelen doesn't sound like a pressing need to me.

Sure, Popovic hasn't proven himself and the jury is still out on Skoula, although, in his case, it's pretty clear that the talent is there.

Picard appears to be more hard-nosed than the average sniper from the Q. I think he'd be a nice fit for the Ducks. I'd love to get Ladd, but I doubt that he'll be around any later than 6th. I'd take a long look at Tukonen and/or Olesz if either of them fell.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Dubnyk to the Oilers seems a bit early. does that just happen to be your take, or have you heard that the Oilers may particularly like him?

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
I haven't heard anything like this. However, I'm not sure that they're that deep in gumping, they have two first round picks so they might actually spend one on something of a need, and he'd be pretty close to a sure-fire starter in a couple of years. Throw in the fact that he's fundamentally sound and he's and Alberta boy (granted it's Calgary) and I think the Oilers may have some interest in him. Just my take :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad