First Beer League Game of the Year Tonight! 5 Things to Help Prepare For Game 1

TheMorningSkate

Jul 3, 2017
What a beautiful time of year. The leaves are changing, preseason hockey is on, you can wear a flannel and be comfortable! This also means that the beer league season is upon us and I for one cannot be more excited. It’ll be nice to get back in the groove, get a good sweat in, pretend to be a professional and tell my girlfriend that i scored 4 goals when in reality i had 2 secondary assists.
Our season starts tonight so naturally the brain is starting to fire on all cylinders. What do i need to do for the season? What can i do to be better? How can i have a better time?

Stretch

Normally I would put this here for some sort of self deprecating humor but i am being deadass serious. Every year I pull a groin at least twice and miss 4 total games. This summer I played softball with another member on our team and we were pulling hammys and hip flexors left and right. What does this mean? Homeboy is getting old and I need to do my due diligence. AKA stop being a fat lazy POS and get to stretching. I remember when I thought stretching was silly. Look at me now. Yikes.

Purchase Your Tape Ahead of Time

Do yourself a favor and stock up on tape and a small bag. Tape, obviously for socks and stick and bag to keep the tape in. Here’s the thing guys, if you’re in the room and visually see a roll of clear your instincts will kick in and you’ll ask to borrow. If you don’t see the tape, because it’s in a small bag, you’ll look elsewhere for it. Stay discreet when taping your stuff and that should last you well into week 5 or 6. I’m also a huge advocate for taping sticks at the house. It gives you one less thing you have to do at the rink, allowing you to get comfortable in the room.

Also just bought 21 rolls of clear on eBay for $40. STEAL.

Bring Beer

Each week a different guy will bring the beers and it’s always a hassle to find out who has and who hasn’t. Well if you bring beers week one, you’re pretty much in the clear. It’ll be the first night everyone is back together, everyone will be buzzing, and it’ll be a memorable moment. That way when it’s week 14 and somebody is asking who is bringing them you can tell them that you have and everyone will remember. Play chess while they play checkers.

Find a Line / Player to Play With

This is crucial. For me, I do my fair share of scouting in terms of who I want to play with. Every team is filled with players at opposite ends of the spectrum so it’s always nice to at least know you mesh well with one person. If you’re lucky you can get a line going, but at the very least you wanna make sure you’re with one person who can move the puck always.

Towel / Shampoo

If you don’t do this week 1 then you probably won’t do it the whole year. Get your own towel, get your own shampoo, together it’s costs like 5 dollars. You don’t want to be borrowing towels or waiting to get home to shower. There’s nothing worse than getting in your truck after a hockey game and smelling like big foots dick because you forgot the old spring at home. Figure it out y’all.

If you do these five things, your first game should go over pretty well. I’m going to be posting a lot more beer league stuff in here this year. It's always interesting to see what is going on across other beer leagues world wide (wide, wide, wide).

Am I missing anything?

Reactions: Pez68

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Stretching is for ballerinas
Stretching is great to make you feel like you are important and actually doing something that will make you play better in Beer League.

Can't go wrong with the classic groin stretches on the ice prior to warmups like the pros do.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Stretching is great to make you feel like you are important and actually doing something that will make you play better in Beer League.

Can't go wrong with the classic groin stretches on the ice prior to warmups like the pros do.

Plenty can go wrong actually. There's really nothing worse than stretching a cold muscle/ligament.

That 5 or so minutes of beer league pre-game warmup is better spent getting long strides, full pushes in your crossovers and getting your heart rate up.

If you really want the most out of warmup, take a light 5 minute jog around the rink before putting your gear on

Then bang a few slapshots off the goalies mask of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad