Proposal: First 3 moves you would do as the new CBJ GM ?

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Why? Sillinger is fine 3C long term, 6th in scoring for us this year at age 20. Johnson is only the 3rd player in CBJ history to eclipse 40 points before age 20…

I don't think you need a long-term 3C option when it's such a flexible position generally speaking.

You want us to trade KJ for a player/pick even further away from making an impact, coming off an injury? Then also trade Sillinger for a late 1st? I don’t get it

Not as much about KJ's value - moreso about the 'type' of asset they can get back for him - a 10-15 pick this draft allows them to trade from a position of depth (FWD) to address a position of need (D)

With Fantili, and a top pick that should be used on a Demidov/Lindstrom, you don't really need KJ or Sillinger.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Top priority would be sorting out the goaltending position. It's a disaster and needs to be properly addressed. If you have to pay to dump someone, so be it. The type of solution in goal would decide the next steps.

If you can get a long-term goalie solution, like Askarov or something, then you can do a bit of a teardown and rebuild over the next 2-3 years.

If you can only get a short-term solution, like Markstrom or something, then you have to use your cap space to add and see what happens. Get vet help and 2-way players through free agency, get top line help and talent through trades.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don't think you need a long-term 3C option when it's such a flexible position generally speaking.
Thats not a bad point. I think people just get visions of Sillinger being something more than that.
Not as much about KJ's value - moreso about the 'type' of asset they can get back for him - a 10-15 pick this draft allows them to trade from a position of depth (FWD) to address a position of need (D)
Couldn’t they just move a prospect for an equally ranked D near the same age? KJ seems like the type of player we’d trade away and goes on to have a great career (like we did with Voracek, Brassard etc.)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Main issues:
- no solid veteran leadership
- a complete mess with the offensive system
- a lot of injuries every year
- Gaudreau not performing to his level and role
- no consistency with the goalies

OK, working from the perspective that a) I'm trusting your analysis of the issues and b) no "trade everyone I like to Philadelphia for everyone I don't then take Comcast's money and run" jokes...

Step 1 has to be to investigate why there are so many severe injuries. It happens to every team, of course, but you don't put together a winning team if 2/3 of your game-day lineup is supposed to be wearing Monsters jerseys. If there are problems with the strength and conditioning teams, replace them. If the facilities aren't up to par, invest in upgrades. If the issues are with the ice plant, that is job #1. Player health and safety has to be the first thing you look into, because it has knock-on effects for everything, not least of which being not appealing as a FA destination. You might never overcome the draw of Toronto or NY, but if you can promise players that they will receive better care and treatment in Columbus than anywhere else, that will sway some people.

Step 2, make better decisions with coaching. Columbus' list of truly successful coaching hires is John Tortorella, end of list. That should simply never be the case. My first instinct here is that you want someone who has had success with the whole "we're a ragtag bunch, but damn it, we'll outwork you" mentality, and that screams Craig Berube. There are other possibilities, I'm sure, but Chief has a ring, which brings credibility, and he's a strict guy without being Tortorella/Keenan levels of asshole. Then, let him make whatever decisions need to be made from a coaching perspective thereafter. This should alleviate the leadership issue, had best help with the offensive system, and all other things being equal, can do good work with the goalie consistency issue.

Step 3: veteran leadership. Berube can help with this, because he has connections throughout the league, players who loved him and would want to play for him again. Do I think there's necessarily a deal to be had here, I don't know, but I would at least investigate the possibility of a deal with St. Louis featuring Johnny Gaudreau and Brayden Schenn, if you get Berube in town. Also, since I know Philly, my mind immediately goes to trading for Scott Laughton, who is generally looked upon as a good veteran leader, good in the room, even though he had a bit of an off year on the ice last year.

The goalie market is absolutely dire this offseason, unless you're going the trade route, so I would make resolving that a future year's problem, unless you can solve it by getting the Islanders to let Mitch Korn go.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Get a good coach, get a great goalie, and build a top line with Johnny Gaudreau.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Anyone on here that suggests CBJ needs to do a 2-3 year tear down and rebuild is clearly out to lunch. Please keep in mind the CBJ has a top 3 prospect pool, an expected top 5 pick and, if not the youngest, one of the youngest NHL rosters. This is the last thing to focus on.

I love the advice but my God please know something about the team before posting.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
1. Fire Everyone.
2. Hire experienced people.
3. Bring in a GM to hire a coach they will work with (drafting, trading for his type of players).

As for the rest, get a couple Foligno, Dubinsky, Vermette etc. type veteran guys to even out the ups/downs of the rookies. Any new GM better be able to list a dozen guys off the top of his head that fit those types of players and thinks will make a good team.

But CBJ is waiting....for a guy that will work with Pascal, not make any big changes, last thing they want is fans to be expecting playoffs when they can fill the arena with as little effort as possible.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
But CBJ is waiting....for a guy that will work with Pascal, not make any big changes, last thing they want is fans to be expecting playoffs when they can fill the arena with as little effort as possible.
This is the way I'm leaning (and fear) also. If you need a change then you better make a change.
Status quo with a puppet GM is not change!

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
i do think this team is way better then shown

i would trade for Brayden Schenn if thats not an option you got to sign Henrique
i would sign tanev ( heard hes the best pro works out like a fkn beast ) could be good for our young team

then you got to trade away provy and Boqvist

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
#1. Trade #4 pick in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft and Columbus' first round pick in the 2025 NHL Entry Draft to the Montreal Canadiens for #27 and #58 picks in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft and the first round pick received from Calgary in the 2025 NHL Entry Draft. That's two firsts and a second for just two firsts. Winner.

#2. Trade A. Fantilli (barely a third line center this year), D. Jiricek (only one NHL goal? Bust!), K. Johnson (always injured, a bit of a project) and Z. Werenski (horrible contract) to the Montreal Canadiens for C. Dvorak (legitimate 3rd line center in at least half the games he plays), J. Harris (has 8 career NHL goals), F. Mesar (I know this one hurts, but you have to give to get), B. Gallagher (to offset the salaries, immediately becomes their best offensive player) and J. Anderson (character and grit guy who misses home and they miss him there).

#3. Resign as GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Once you've done this much for the franchise it's all downhill from there.

Bonus #4. Sign as special assistant to the GM of the Montreal Canadiens. You know, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
1. Trade Laine and Proverov
2. Resign Marchenko and Sillinger
3. Sign Skjei Brossoit and Lindholm

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Marchenko
Jenner-Fantilli-Brindley
Johnson-Sillinger-Voronkov
Texier-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

Werenski-Severson
Skjei-Jircek
Blankenburg-Gudbrandson

Merzlikins
Brossoit

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is the way I'm leaning (and fear) also. If you need a change then you better make a change.
Status quo with a puppet GM is not change!

For a team that is definitely rebuilding (look at the age of the roster) they have been very busy and noisy each offseason and have made a lot of splashy moves that have made people think they were making a big step.

They're certainly not counseling patience among the fans. This is not a do nothing team or a team that tries to minimize expectations.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
1. Trade Laine and Proverov
2. Resign Marchenko and Sillinger
3. Sign Skjei Brossoit and Lindholm

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Marchenko
Jenner-Fantilli-Brindley
Johnson-Sillinger-Voronkov
Texier-Kuraly-Danforth
Olivier

Werenski-Severson
Skjei-Jircek
Blankenburg-Gudbrandson

Merzlikins
Brossoit
Whats happens to Chinakhov, Boqvist and Tarasov in this scenario? Boqvist being traded makes sense but Chinakhov has solid upside and Tarasov has shown enough to get a longer look

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
They have to take extreme measures to get out of where they are
I'd plan a 4 or 5 years rebuild

1- Trade everyone (that doesn't have Fantilli as a last name) that has value for picks. Keep the prospects you want but everyone else must go

2- Hire UFA mercenaries with 1 year or 2 years max contract. The more they suck ass the better, you want to tank hard

3- Trade the players that did well for more picks at the tdl

4- Hire one or two good vets to help the kids

5- Be the garbageman of the NHL and get paid in picks to get bad contracts, but none must be more than 2 years

6- Draft well

7- Rince and repeat Up until you fell like you're ready to go
Great plan, with enough luck they can be the next Coyotes !

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Great plan, with enough luck they can be the next Coyotes !

Bro the Blue Jackets can't sink much lower than they already are right now

What's the alternative? Give the fans years of mediocrity, until they don't care?

Blow that shit the f*** out, and build a great team from the ground up

They already have a Bunch of Solid prospects on which they can build on

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
1- trade laine to dallas, florida or carolina in a dollars for dollars deal. it may not be exciting, but it could add 2 or 3 players with playoff experience, would provide competition for younger players and would give laine a soft landing. free agents would notice the jackets being graceful.

2- upgrade 2 assistant coaches. didn't watch many jackets games, not sure if they need to improve special teams or need a motivator or whatever, but it was a babcock staff that lost babcock. need to add something.

3- target some older ufa's that provide leadership & experience for 50 games that can be traded for assets at the deadline. perry, martinez, maroon, zucker, perron types.

bonus- trade elvis to vegas or nashville. i know graceland is in memphis, but there is still some marketing opportunity to exploit in both markets. this is purely a thing for league marketing and cheap promotions that may get me a favor down the line.

would stay away from cap dump trades with the exception of goodrow, depending on cost of course. goodrow for any pick (rounds 3-7) is fine, don't know jackets prospects enough but he has the experience that helps locker rooms become teams.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bro the Blue Jackets can't sink much lower than they already are right now

What's the alternative? Give the fans years of mediocrity, until they don't care?

Blow that shit the f*** out, and build a great team from the ground up

They already have a Bunch of Solid prospects on which they can build on

They improved season on season from last year to this and have already slashed away most of their sellable vets and are stocked with plenty of quality prospects. They need some mid-level vets, guys in their late 20's who can show them how to be pros. They need some guys to show the kids the way since we've seen there is nothing harder than a team of nothing but kids trying to figure it out on their own. They don't need to get younger.

Three moves -

1) Hire a coach who can work with young players to bring out their strengths
2) Settle the goaltending situation by moving on from Elvis. Give it over to Greaves and Tarasov.
3) Two or three transitional vets, not guys who are toast but some players with game with meat on the bone yet. Someone has mentioned Goodrow, he'd be a good start.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
1. Find out who actually wants to be there.
2. Try and get Elias Lindholm. Whilst he hasn't been brilliant the last year, you'd hope him and Johnny Hockey can click again. He'd also give protection to Fantili and Johnson as they develop. Chandler Stephenson would be a fallback.
3. Sort out the D. At least 2 of Provorov, Gudbranson, Boqvist and Bean go. Jiricek is starting next season next to Werenski.
4. Contact teams who need a retool if they don't win this year, for younger players with experience (eg NYR about Kakko and Lindgren, Carolina about Necas) to see the prices.
5. Bring in some size for the bottom 6.
6. Find someone to take Elvis, if there is anyone.

Whilst that is 6 points, 2, 3 and 5 are the actual initial moves.

I really think Elias Lindholm would be an underrated signing for both sides. Lindholm has definitely cost himself some bargaining power but Columbus is probably a team willing to give him closer to what he'd hope for even if still shying away from 8M.

Sadly, there is no shot they're getting out of that awful Gudbranson deal without paying someone. In fact, he's a potential buyout candidate since the cap hit is only 1,166,667. Although, I suspect they wait until next off season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really think Elias Lindholm would be an underrated signing for both sides. Lindholm has definitely cost himself some bargaining power but Columbus is probably a team willing to give him closer to what he'd hope for even if still shying away from 8M.

Sadly, there is no shot they're getting out of that awful Gudbranson deal without paying someone. In fact, he's a potential buyout candidate since the cap hit is only 1,166,667. Although, I suspect they wait until next off season.

Gudbranson actually just had what must have been a career year. He was perhaps a solid 4/5 caliber player. He's overpaid but they have no problem having that in the lineup, in fact he's looking like someone you don't want to lose.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
I like alot about this team. They have a good base for the future. A good structured coach would be the 1st step. Lindy Ruff going back to Buffalo is going to be awesome for the Sabres as an example. Trade Elvis if possible or look at a buyout. Locked into a poor expensive goalie sucks the life out of a team. Is Tarasov ready to step up, usually there can be some bargains in the goalie free agent market? Again, a good base of youngsters but plugging the odd spot with free agent, positive attitude veterans would go a long way to helping the young guys. Didn't look close enough at their drafting to look at their scouting. ( hard to screw up too bad with great picks). Seem to be doing ok with them. Goaltending seems to be underrated these days but good goaltending here would go a long way. I can't fathom why Jiricek hasn't been up most of the season as well. this is a start

Reactions: Toe Pick

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021

Never underestimate the stupidity and arrogance of GMs. Someone will take Gudbranson and think they'd make him a top 4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad