Firefox Premium $$ ?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seems like Mozilla is looking to release a premium version of Firefox this fall. The difference would be included VPN and cloud storage capabilities.

Would you pay for it? At what price point if so?

For more than a decade, we’ve been able to count on one crucial piece of software being available entirely for free: web browsers. But that may soon change. Kind of. In an interview with German publican t3n spotted by the Next Web, Mozilla CEO Chris Beard said a premium Firefox is on its way sometime in fall this year.
What’s going to separate premium Firefox from regular old Firefox? Basically, VPN and cloud storage capabilities. Beard’s answers sounded more hypothetical in detail than the announcement of guaranteed features, but he did give some insight into what a premium Firefox might offer. One example Beard gave was a hypothetical situation where a user wanted to do some online banking over public wifi. That user would get a “certain amount of free VPN bandwidth, and then offer a premium level over a monthly subscription.”
To be clear, Beard emphasized that Mozilla has no plans to charge fees for features that are currently free. We’ve reached out to Mozilla for more details and will update when we hear back (although it’s not clear we will since t3n appears to indicated that Mozilla PR ended the interview after Beard started gabbing about a premium version Firefox.)
Last year, Mozilla partnered with ProtonVPN to offer a small, randomized group of U.S. users the option to buy a subscription at $10 per month. At the time, Mozilla described it as part of a process to “explor[e] new, additional sources of revenue that align with [its] mission.” Talk of a premium-level Firefox seems to be a natural evolution from this experiment.

https://gizmodo.com/a-premium-version-of-firefox-is-coming-mozilla-ceo-say-1835371332

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The main problem I see is anyone who is seriously interested in using a VPN probably already has one.
The more paranoid set are probably not using a mainstream browser either.

Would you pay for it? At what price point if so?

I don't trust cloud storage as a primary back up so I wouldn't pay for it. VPN only at a lower price point I could see being attractive as sort of an in-app purchase to some people. But how big a market is that really? Those types of people who are looking to do a few bank website transactions on their phone or something are probably using Chrome or Safari as default so an app outside of the browser for VPN makes more sense.

I would though pay pretty good money for a version of Firefox that's not trying to be a low rent Chrome clone.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm the same with cloud storage.

Firefox is not all that bad if you know what you are doing. It's the browser of choice of Michael Bazzell, former FBI and expert in open source Intell techniques. Granted they way he suggests, which is how I use it, involves a lot of fiddling with it to activate or deactivate a bunch of settings and he also gives a suggest list of add-ons for it.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
0€/$/what ever currency. Already got vpn and no need for cloud atm. Ad free browser if browsers remove ad blockers I would think about it but thats not gonna happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad