Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yep, not the greatest...and still in the top 50 all time NHL coaches, so imagine how hard it is to actually win in the playoffs?
I got it. I just think Todd lacked that gene that would allow hiim to follow his instincts in the moment.. Otherwise a great coach by all standards and by getting hired 4 times... also a nice guy. But he really could not adjust for shit.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I got it. I just think Todd lacked that gene that would allow hiim to follow his instincts in the moment.. Otherwise a great coach by all standards and by getting hired 4 times... also a nice guy. But he really could not adjust for shit.

Agreed, he made minor slight adjustments, he wasn't adept at on the fly coaching by any stretch of the imagination

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
This organization thought they had everything as soon as the drafted Clarke. Everything after that went down hill. The traded for Arvidsson, then bought in on Danault, traded for Fiala then Gavrikov then PLD. They lost out on...

2nd round pick (Arvidsson)
3rd round pick (Arvidsson)
Faber
1st round pick (Fiala)
Vilardi
Iafallo
Kupari
2nd (Durzi)
Grans
Walker
Petersen
1st (Gavrikov)
2nd (Petersen)
Quick
3rd (Korpisalo)

And most importantly Cap space. Yes, Petersen's cap was a problem but nothing if you don't have Danault, Arvidsson, Fiala and Gavrikov.

You have plenty of people to move if you need too...Walker, Roy, Iafallo, Carter, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick.

You stick with the kids and wait on moving too quickly and don't pass up the 2-3 deep drafts especially one with franchise players in Bedard and company. Like knowing a prospect this good is coming along and you are a bad team, why move away from a chance at that kind of prospect?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Always wary of the term "scorched earth." I think they should keep what they were doing from 2019-2021.

- Identify vets who are on board with a rebuild and pulling their weight. Trade those who aren't on board or want to go to a contender.

- Put youth in roles they are slotted to be in.

- Reevaluate development plans and procedures

- Establish a clear vision of the team you want and communicate that to the scouting staff (amateur and pro). I don't care if you want to grind out 1-0 or 9-8 wins. Just make sure the pieces fit so they can play a cohesive game. That includes the coaching staff.

This may come across scorched earth, but I just see it as righting the ship, regardless of who's running it.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Team changes if I were dictator

Forwards:
-buyout PLD, deport him to New Zealand, and rub salt in his eyes at the airport
- Move Byfield back to center
- Lower Kopitar's minutes
-Offer ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRvidsson a 1 year prove yourself contract for 2-3 mil
- Consult @Johnny Utah to add toughness to the F corps

D
-offer Doughty a trade
-See what Roy will sign for and choose between him and Gavrikov
- Promote Clarke

Doughty Anderson
Roy/Gav Spence/Clarke
Englund Spence/Clarke/Moverare

G-
Sign a free agent or find a day laborer at Home Depot
Copely or Rittich/ Prospect
Dont send him here, wtf did we do to deserve him. Send him to Aussie, he can go and skate in the outback.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Always wary of the term "scorched earth." I think they should keep what they were doing from 2019-2021.
Me too. Going that route gives you the best shot at getting a McDavid/Mackinnon type player, but it can also destroy your franchise for more than a decade.

You have to land like 2 or 3 superstar players within only a few drafts.

Mackinnon 2013
Rantanen 2015
Makar 2017

Kopitar 2005
Quick 2005
Doughty 2008

Stamkos 2008
Hedman 2009
Kucherov 2011

MAF 2003
Malkin 2004
Crosby 2005

Toews 2006
Kane 2007

If you don't land some superstars within quick succession of one another, it's hard to get out of the cycle of suck.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
The more I watch the Jets/Avs, the more angry I get watching Vilardi tearing up by putting points on the board and we are stuck with POS Debois. Blake should be fired right now and Luc can follow Blake out the door too.

I think it was the espn broadcast that twisted the knife into LA last night. During the intermission of the Vancouver game, highlights of the jets/Avs game were played.

The assist on Vilardi was shown and someone said “boy, couldn’t LA use someone like that right now?”

Then, he said it again.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Spot on. Had heard similar from someone who had played for him. Fantastic x's and o's guy and his game preparation was top notch, but the in game adjustments were lacking.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Me too. Going that route gives you the best shot at getting a McDavid/Mackinnon type player, but it can also destroy your franchise for more than a decade.

You have to land like 2 or 3 superstar players within only a few drafts.

Mackinnon 2013
Rantanen 2015
Makar 2017

Kopitar 2005
Quick 2005
Doughty 2008

Stamkos 2008
Hedman 2009
Kucherov 2011

MAF 2003
Malkin 2004
Crosby 2005

Toews 2006
Kane 2007

If you don't land some superstars within quick succession of one another, it's hard to get out of the cycle of suck.

I am confused, you said you don't want to bottom out and be picking near the top for multiple years, but then listed 5 teams that did that and those teams have accounted for 11 of the last 15 Stanley Cups.

GBH loves to bring up the Buffalo's of the world as the reason not to do it, but never wants to answer the question as to which way leads to more Stanley Cup's, that way or the alternatives.

The next rebuild should not end until you have two legit franchise caliber young players at the NHL level who are capable of being the types of players you listed, because the numbers don't lie, that is what you need to win most years, and especially if you want sustained multi-year cup success.

Of the 14 players listed, 10 were taken with Top 4 picks. There sure seems to be a clear path to obtaining those types of players.

Sure in an ideal world you suck for a few years and end up with two superstars, that is possible, but what if you suck for 2-3 years and end up with Byfield, Turcotte and Clark as your high picks. That is where the Kings were in the summer of 2021, and instead of waiting it out for a couple of more years trying to find a crown jewel they just pulled the plug on trying to pick high, and it's worked out terribly.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
There definitely is a high risk high reward type element in going full tank rebuild. And the risk IS high, no doubt about it.

I just don't see how this team gets to the top without it, unfortunately. I think a hybrid rebuild, like they did last time, could have worked had they executed better and had a bit more patience. However with Kopi and Drew being older I don't see that as something you try again.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
This organization thought they had everything as soon as the drafted Clarke. Everything after that went down hill. The traded for Arvidsson, then bought in on Danault, traded for Fiala then Gavrikov then PLD. They lost out on...

2nd round pick (Arvidsson)
3rd round pick (Arvidsson)
Faber
1st round pick (Fiala)
Vilardi
Iafallo
Kupari
2nd (Durzi)
Grans
Walker
Petersen
1st (Gavrikov)
2nd (Petersen)
Quick
3rd (Korpisalo)

And most importantly Cap space. Yes, Petersen's cap was a problem but nothing if you don't have Danault, Arvidsson, Fiala and Gavrikov.

You have plenty of people to move if you need too...Walker, Roy, Iafallo, Carter, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick.

You stick with the kids and wait on moving too quickly and don't pass up the 2-3 deep drafts especially one with franchise players in Bedard and company. Like knowing a prospect this good is coming along and you are a bad team, why move away from a chance at that kind of prospect?
Seeing this all in one combined summary -- yikes/ouch. Hurts to see.

Reactions: tigermask48

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I am confused, you said you don't want to bottom out and be picking near the top for multiple years, but then listed 5 teams that did that and those teams have accounted for 11 of the last 15 Stanley Cups.

GBH loves to bring up the Buffalo's of the world as the reason not to do it, but never wants to answer the question as to which way leads to more Stanley Cup's, that way or the alternatives.
Johnjm can speak for himself, but I was referring to going the scorched earth approach.

Colorado didn't trade away all the vets away to make a bad team. They just became bad organically. The biggest piece they traded away during their bad years was ROR, who just didn't want to be there. They kept old guard players like Foote.

Pittsburgh was poorly managed and operated on a lousy budget for years before winning the 2005 lottery.

Tampa Bay still had Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, and Prospal at the start of their 2007-08 season when they won the Stamkos lottery. And even at the trade deadline, only traded Richards and Prospal.

Chicago was also on a budget with Wirtz and just wouldn't spend money. They would have gone that route without the emergence of Kane and Toews to help elevate them. They didn't go scorched earth as much as just wanted to save money/generate as much of their own revenue as possible.

I don't think any of these teams qualify for the "scorched earth" approach. They either got rewarded for being cheap with their finances or they kept core players from the old guard even into the lottery.

Reactions: David Lunch

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I didn't say that Herby.

I'm insinuating that it's high risk / high reward, and that you need land 2 or 3 superstars within about 4 drafts or else you can be setting yourself up for a decade long malaise.

That doesn't mean I'm opposed, just pointing out the risk.

And nowadays with the draft lottery it's more difficult. It increases the dependency on luck.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Tampa Bay still had Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, and Prospal at the start of their 2007-08 season when they won the Stamkos lottery. And even at the trade deadline, only traded Richards and Prospal.
Tampa Bay was also purchased by an incompetent movie producer who hired an ESPN analyst to be their head coach. This lead the team to being so bad that they got the 2OA pick (Victor Hedmen). Another example of a franchise being rewarded for incompetence.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
oing full tank rebuild. And theThere definitely is a high risk high reward type element in g risk IS high, no doubt about it.

I just don't see how this team gets to the top without it, unfortunately. I think a hybrid rebuild, like they did last time, could have worked had they executed better and had a bit more patience. However with Kopi and Drew being older I don't see that as something you try again.
I would like to hear about this risk.

So why is it risky to full rebuild and have a chance of a better future vs a well know solution that isn't winning the cup as well?
Someone?

Reactions: Herby and KINGS17

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
So you think this way is better? You think 7 years in with no playoff results, no legit star players, no #1 goalie, up against the cap, big contracts tied to multiple players well into their 30's with no upside for improvement?

Do you see the type of rosters that the contenders in the league have, and the types of players they have vs. what the Kings have?

"Blowing it up" implies there was/is something decent being blown up, there isn't. Fans are rightfully complaining because instead of doing a proper rebuild that almost every other cup winner the last 20 years has done, we decided to cut corners and take a one-way ticket to the return to the turn of the century black-hole. You are claiming people want to "blow up" a black hole team, when all people wanted was to keep building the right way.

What is wrong with staying in rebuild mode until you have accumulated enough young talent to take the next step? Other teams, including the Kings have done this, why it is seen as some kind of impossible thing? Some of you act like this would have taken years, it wouldn't have. Had Blake not bent the knee to the whining of a 30+ player with his best years behind him the Kings would be in a great position to be contending within a year or two.

Top 1-8 in 2023
Top 1-8 in 2022
Byfield
Faber
Clarke
So many fans in here that just love negativity so they can happily say I told you so if they are right or be happily surprised if they are wrong. Same people I was arguing with saying Byfield is bust last year are saying blow up the team. Also the same people I was arguing with of Kopitar is good enough to be a #1 center, Brown isn't a good enough caption before the team went on a cup run in 2012. You guys can continue to wallow here in your misery or we can actually let the playoffs play themselves before we talk about the off-season.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Except if you actually read what people are typing their issues with this team make sense and are valid. Game 1 went just about how people predicted it would go, and the threads in recent days back that up.
What the same people that we were predicting we would get swept? Oh look we won in game 2

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
So many fans in here that just love negativity so they can happily say I told you so if they are right or be happily surprised if they are wrong. Same people I was arguing with saying Byfield is bust last year are saying blow up the team. Also the same people I was arguing with of Kopitar is good enough to be a #1 center, Brown isn't a good enough caption before the team went on a cup run in 2012. You guys can continue to wallow here in your misery or we can actually let the playoffs play themselves before we talk about the off-season.
Nah they need some tough love. The media that surrounds them is very soft. A narrative that the world thinks they suck and have no chance is something to rally around.
Doughty was bad game 1. Like a step behind.
He came out with something to prove tonight. He was a rock in his own zone and was willing his way to keep pucks alive in the offensive zone. There were a couple plays he was the first guy in on the forecheck haha. Kopitars best playoff game in 3 years.
Danault was perfect in his own zone.
They did what they had to do after a couple days of feeling some heat.

Reactions: AbsentMojo
Jun 30, 2006
1714024903806.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tigermask48

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad