Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Figured we can get started talking about the offseason since the Kings are getting eliminated in an embarrassing fashion.
Time to clean house and fire Blake and the rest of management and also the scouting and development staff.
Let all ufas walk. Retain on Doughty if you have to.
See what you can get for Danault Fiala Dubois and Gavrikov.
Maybe buy low on some recently drafted guys like Spencer Knight or Jiricek.
Do what you gotta do because they cant continue down this path.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
So either they’re going to trade kids like Kaliyev + for more of the same bullshit or they’re going to rip the bandaid off and cut some salary and rebuild the rebuild.
Still committed to Kopitar and Doughty for 2+ seasons and neither will be traded. Team as constructed is at worst a bubble team with a decent chance to get those 2 games of playoff revenue next year.

I think I know which direction they’ll take unfortunately.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So either they’re going to trade kids like Kaliyev + for more of the same bullshit or they’re going to rip the bandaid off and cut some salary and rebuild the rebuild.
I don't think any GM would take this job without the ability to make changes and put their own stamp on the team. Every new GM wants to make roster changes to their new team and the only way to do that here would be by making some huge moves.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
We should have traded Roy.
We should have traded RV (understandable we didnt here)
We should have traded Daneault.

We shouldn’t have traded Vilardi.
We shouldn’t have traded Faber.

We haven’t won a playoff series since 2014. That’s third worst in the league.

This team is squarely in the mid category. Right alongside the Islanders.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
We should have traded Roy.
We should have traded RV (understandable we didnt here)
We should have traded Daneault.

We shouldn’t have traded Vilardi.
We shouldn’t have traded Faber.

We haven’t won a playoff series since 2014. That’s third worst in the league.

This team is squarely in the mid category. Right alongside the Islanders.

Kopitar has never captained a series victory for the LA Kings.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Yea its wild how badly they will be run into the ground over the next 5 years.
They were actually better off going with young guys and players with moxie like Lemieux and Durzi than they are now.
Genuinely impressive feat to think a rebuild was done and get worse the two years after "year 1"

Nearly every move since the summer of 2021 has been a mistake. Danault/Arvi was the rebuild hitting the iceberg

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
What was Blake supposed to do?!?

More importantly--has a forum ever been so sadly collectively right in their foresight?
Yea I mean it didnt take a hockey savant to see the reality.
Like why bother trading Toffoli and immediately bring in Arvidsson and trade Muzzin and Martinez and immediately bring in Edler and Maatta then right after that spend a first on Gavrikov. None of it made sense.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Yea I mean it didnt take a hockey savant to see the reality.
Like why bother trading Toffoli and immediately bring in Arvidsson and trade Muzzin and Martinez and immediately bring in Edler and Maatta then right after that spend a first on Gavrikov. None of it made sense.
Rob and Luc just don't get it, and it shows in how nonsensical the moves were. They never won anything in the NHL that they weren't carried to. It took teams full of Hall of Famers for Rob and Luc to win their Cups as hired guns, both of which had established leadership, and no surprise the top dogs on those teams either won a Cup as GM (Sakic) or built the near-entirety of a Cup winner before leaving to take a break (Yzerman). They have no clue what a winning core really takes and didn't have the management experience to learn team building, so they act like an EA NHL GM.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Figured we can get started talking about the offseason since the Kings are getting eliminated in an embarrassing fashion.
Time to clean house and fire Blake and the rest of management and also the scouting and development staff.
Let all ufas walk. Retain on Doughty if you have to.
See what you can get for Danault Fiala Dubois and Gavrikov.
Maybe buy low on some recently drafted guys like Spencer Knight or Jiricek.
Do what you gotta do because they cant continue down this path.
The basic conception of this organization from the short circuit rebuild around 8/11/32, conservative old school head coach, slow boil mentality, the 1-3-1 structure, roster with no top 50 scorers -- all of it, was a conceptual failure. To get things straightened out, you have to start with a new charter before even thinking about personnel. But regardless of the charter you hang on to high value contracts like Moore and Kempe, keep the what will be relatively cheap high end talent like QB and Clarke - and dispense with the rest.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
"See what you can get for Dubois"

I've got some bad news for you.
At this point I think you just move forward with a retool and move on from the vets but keep him around. His value won't get better, I highly doubt a buyout is on the way, and getting rid of the vets opens alot of cap space on guys who will get value like a Danult/Gavrikov. Showcase him, either he becomes someone to keep or down the line someone is less appalled by term/cap hit as the ceiling increases

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
At this point I think you just move forward with a retool and move on from the vets but keep him around. His value won't get better, I highly doubt a buyout is on the way, and getting rid of the vets opens alot of cap space on guys who will get value like a Danult/Gavrikov. Showcase him, either he becomes someone to keep or down the line someone is less appalled by term/cap hit as the ceiling increases
Dubois is a Jonah. His attitude is a poison. It would be better to buy him out than let him be an influence on the young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad