GDT: Fire Q @ Flames 9:00 PM (CT) NBCSCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bottomed out...and be looking for a Selke caliber, franchise center, and a Hart caliber, franchise winger. What are we even talking about here? There hasn't even been a winger drafted since....forever... that I would trade Kane for.... And unless you won the lottery in 2016...you're still looking for Toews' replacement.

I’m just clearing up the facts as that post was wrong in its timeline.

Since the Toews and Kane deals, we should have been and certainly need to be more frugal with lesser players moving forward. If they don’t like it, they can sit on the sidelines like Nylander or sign an offer sheet.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I’m just clearing up the facts as that post was wrong in its timeline.

Since the Toews and Kane deals, we should have been and certainly need to be more frugal with lesser players moving forward. If they don’t like it, they can sit on the sidelines like Nylander or sign an offer sheet.

Offer sheets don't happen.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I’m just clearing up the facts as that post was wrong.

Since the Toews and Kane deals, we ahould have been and certainly need to be more frugal with lesser players moving forward. If they don’t like it, they can sit on the sidelines like Nylander or sign an offer sheet.
I agree. They need to be less worried about offersheets. I feel like they traded Saad way too early, and that an offer sheet wasn't really going to happen. They're always a threat and rarely ever happen.

Need to be hard with Schmaltz. He hasn't earned a long term contract yet, so either a 3-4mil bridge, or 4-5mil on a 4-5yr deal. Unless he has a great remaining 65+gms of course.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Saad made sense (original trade).

How so? I like Anisimov, but he’s not as good as Saad was. Panarin and Saad on the same team gives a real shot at a Cup for another season or two.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I’m not advocating letting Toews and Kane walk, but we would have still won the third ring and if they did walk, we’d have bottomed out a few years earlier than now. Those deals kicked in after the third Cup.
I doubt very much that either guy would have walked. As I said, they would still be the highest paid players in the league. I suppose Stan could have negotiated some performance incentives if they wanted more but no, he caved.

And what if they did ask for $12 M. According to some, Stan would have had no choice. Ridiculous.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How so? I like Anisimov, but he’s not as good as Saad was. Panarin and Saad on the same team gives a real shot at a Cup for another season or two.

Because we had a replacement winger coming for cheaper and needed a center. 6.0 Saad did not fit with that cap. Dano was actually a highly thought of prospect as well.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I doubt very much that either guy would have walked. As I said, they would still be the highest paid players in the league. I suppose Stan could have negotiated some performance incentives if they wanted more but no, he caved.

And what if they did ask for $12 M. According to some, Stan would have had no choice. Ridiculous.

You said wrong though. Malkin and Ovi were making more than 9.0.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I agree with you, but it gets too emotional in here when talking about those two. My hope is that they take a discount next time and help us keep the new core together.

However, nobody can objectively say we should have hit the ejection seat on Saad a couple days into free agency coming off his ELC.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with you, but it gets too emotional in here when talking about those two. My hope is that they take a discount next time and help us keep the new core together.

However, nobody can objectively say we should have hit the ejection seat on Saad a couple days into free agency coming off his ELC.

Who is getting emotional? Honest question.

I am pretty sure you can objectively say valid reasons to why we should have traded Saad. Explain how you can't be objective about it if you could please. (tone sounds weird)

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

You have no idea if they would have walked. And you have no idea what they asked for initially. They were the consensus best duo in the NHL at the time, and had just won two cups in four seasons.... They were A GOAL AWAY FROM A THIRD CUP THAT SEASON. BOTH winning individual trophies in that time frame. It's very possible the negotiations started out at max contracts. They revived this franchise, and were making them money hand over fist. Your argument is not based on reality, and an argument not a single GM in the NHL entertains. Argue about the Seabrook and Bickell deals all you want, but not a single objective observer at the time thought the Toews/Kane contracts were a problem. And most still don't.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Who is getting emotional? Honest question.

I am pretty sure you can objectively say valid reasons to why we should have traded Saad. Explain how you can't be objective about it if you could please. (tone sounds weird)

We didn’t even try to evaluate the situation and let things play out. That was Bowman freaking out for whatever reason, I don’t know. We were coming off a third Cup, he could have let him sit out all year instead of worrying about an offer sheet and trading him on basically day one of free agency.

RE: Toews and Kane, it’s just not an argument worth having, that’s all I mean. I can see both sides of it and can see how it gets heated.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We didn’t even try to evaluate the situation and let things play out. That was Bowman freaking out for whatever reason, I don’t know. We were coming off a third Cup, he could have let him sit out all year instead of worrying about an offer sheet and trading him on basically day one of free agency.

How so? There was a valid rumor that he was going to get an offer sheet (Bobby Mac).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Toews and Kane took what they thought was fair based off where the salary cap was going. Unfortunately they didn't forecast the economy properly, so the cap didn't jump as much as it should have based off their projections.

Now the cap is jumping to where it should be, but because of those contracts being extra inflated due to the cap not rising, and the Seabrook Bickell deals, they had to let go of damn good players and couldn't get much back as they were stuck in a bad position.

Tough to blame the Toews and Kane deals, but lots of blame can be given on Seabs and Bicks, along with a few trades since the last Cup.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
How so? There was a valid rumor that he was going to get an offer sheet (Bobby Mac).

Agree to disagree then. I don’t want our GM making decisions out of fear of a rumor of an offsheet occurring. We shouldn’t overpay Schmaltz or worry about an offersheet with him. You just said they never happen upthread. I’m done.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Wasn’t the rumored offer sheet from Anaheim? Absolutely could have seen that team try to f*** the Hawks over like SJ after 2010...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks can play harderball with Schmaltz because he’s a UFA and they have the cap space to match most long term deals that is not a riduculous overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad