Post-Game Talk: Fire Drill 5-2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Letestu is not a better pk option than Gordon. Letestu is not a better 4th line option than Gordon. Letestu has certainly not been a better face off option than Gordon in respective careers.

Hey, even if this is a lateral move how does it improve the hockey club.

This is a bad club and this is the kind of help Chia giving it. Getting players like Letestu and Korpi to supplant our bottomsix.

To me that's not improvement.

In anycase my argument hs not been Gordon vs Roy on 3rd line. I would want neither on 3rd line. I would want Roy potentially on 3rd line as insurance in case of injury.

Not arguing any of this. Chia has done jack squat as far as I'm concerned. Sekera is basically a Petry replacement who was a gift handed to him because of the McDavid factor. Other than that, just another shuffling of the deck chairs thus far.

I was just arguing your assertion that Letestu is a talentless hack who deserves to be banished to the AHL for good (paraphrasing of course) and that any of these former players that you have an affection for would have made any difference.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
what progress?
getting a #1 goalie maybe, but when I look at the standings all I see is last place and on pace for another season of less than 70 points.

unless you're saying they're visually better because in the standings they're worse than last year.

Yeah since New Years or maybe the All-Star break "progress" has been questionable.

Before that I was thinking the team looked good despite bad luck and injury woes. I was assuming they would keep building on the system play and up their battle....get healthy....

I think I was only expecting .500 season but it also seems like...man....I've been way way too optimistic this year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not arguing any of this. Chia has done jack squat as far as I'm concerned. Sekera is basically a Petry replacement who was a gift handed to him because of the McDavid factor. Other than that, just another shuffling of the deck chairs thus far.

I was just arguing your assertion that Letestu is a talentless hack who deserves to be banished to the AHL for good (paraphrasing of course) and that any of these former players that you have an affection for would have made any difference.

just anger based overreaction on my part. Letestu is fine I guess as a 4th line player. I don't have to like him at all..;)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It wasn't a decent effort. It was a losing effort that expected to lose all night. I turned off the game in disgust in first period knowing they were going to lose. Would have guaranteed that the way they were playing.

The Oilers were not dictating terms, were not front running, were not preventing chances against, were not doing anything on PP. This one felt like a loss. From reports the first period was the best period they play and it was problematic.

I did watch the 3rd on PVR. not sure why. I thought I would see the goal that was called back. when was that?

I'm not going to defend a losing effort because that remains an effort in futility. They did enough things wrong that they deserved the loss. What I will say is that I saw the majority of players willing to fight for the puck and forecheck hard. For example, if that version of Yakupov shows up more often, then that bodes well for him and the Oilers. That being said, it remains sad that showing up ready to play hockey at the NHL pace is considered a sign of progress for this team.

I thought they did overwhelm the Wild to start the game, and they were in it until the disallowed goal that would have made it 3-3. Overall, the shot attempts were lopsided in the Oilers favor (57 to 31), which do indicate that they did dictate the play more than the Wild. Once again, a combination of being on the wrong side of two important calls (the Parise holding the stick penalty that was not only missed, but somehow became a Schultz hooking penalty and the Hall no-goal botched call in the 2nd) was the difference. A good team would overcome this (and that Oilers clearly are not a good hockey team); however, it was unfortunate turn of events for a fragile group that is still learning to play the proper way.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm not going to defend a losing effort because that remains an effort in futility. They did enough things wrong that they deserved the loss. What I will say is that I saw the majority of players willing to fight for the puck and forecheck hard. That being said, it remains sad that this is considered a sign of progress. For example, if that version of Yakupov shows up more often, then that bodes well for him and the Oilers.

I thought they did overwhelm the Wild to start the game, and they were in it until the disallowed goal that would have made it 3-3. Overall, the shot attempts were lopsided in the Oilers favor (57 to 31), which do indicate that they did dictate the play more than the Wild. Once again, a combination of being on the wrong side of two important calls (the Parise holding the stick penalty that was not only missed, but somehow became a Schultz hooking penalty and the Hall no-goal botched call in the 2nd) was the difference. A good team would overcome this (and that Oilers clearly are not a good hockey team); however, it was unfortunate turn of events for a fragile group that is still learning to play the proper way.
I applause you for this

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not going to defend a losing effort because that remains an effort in futility. They did enough things wrong that they deserved the loss. What I will say is that I saw the majority of players willing to fight for the puck and forecheck hard. That being said, it remains sad that this is considered a sign of progress. For example, if that version of Yakupov shows up more often, then that bodes well for him and the Oilers.

I've raised consistent point about seeing limited evidence of any sensible system the Oilers are playing. The Wild opportunities, even if against the grain of play, and had on the counter were produced by Oiler miscues, Oilers turning the puck over, and the Oilers having negligible if any NZ presense in the game.

A team playing a reasonable NZ game and having consistent numbers back is going to beat a club not doing that almost everytime. Anything else is kidding ourselves.

This team is not committed or employing a sensible version that best suits the players it has and is thus not winning. This is not a mirage. Were losing soundly to even very routine clubs that have been in prolonged losing streaks.

No teams can expect to win games in which they allow 5 goals. That's a nonstarter. Wild were scoring whenever they needed a goal.

We're almost anybodies slumpbuster. Right now were again contendingas the worst team in the league.

Not on paper, but on how we play the game

I really do actively question the coaching strategems being used out there. WE have no emphasis on the importance of NZ play.

Jun 9, 2011
I wish we had given Nelson the chance. He was able to work with the guys and get the best out of them. He was 'continuity' because he trained the guy left behind in the AHL. But, we have TMac and he isn't going anywhere, and at least he isn't Eakins.

Letestu could do what Gordon used to do.. take the face off and get off the ice.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wish we had given Nelson the chance. He was able to work with the guys and get the best out of them. He was 'continuity' because he trained the guy left behind in the AHL. But, we have TMac and he isn't going anywhere, and at least he isn't Eakins.

Letestu could do what Gordon used to do.. take the face off and get off the ice.

17-25-9

Or if you prefer, 17-34.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
It wasn't a decent effort. It was a losing effort that expected to lose all night. I turned off the game in disgust in first period knowing they were going to lose. Would have guaranteed that the way they were playing.

The Oilers were not dictating terms, were not front running, were not preventing chances against, were not doing anything on PP. This one felt like a loss. From reports the first period was the best period they play and it was problematic.

I did watch the 3rd on PVR. not sure why. I thought I would see the goal that was called back. when was that?

It was midway through the 2nd, post #475...you will be mad..

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Thanks, I saw that but don't understand the context of the play or was it whistled or what happened? Was it a delayed penalty? makes no sense without that information.

It was a delayed penalty on Minnesota, The ref's basically said Spurgeon, who maybe touched the puck for a 1/10 of a second, had possession and control..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It was a delayed penalty on Minnesota, The ref's basically said Spurgeon, who maybe touched the puck for a 1/10 of a second, had possession and control..

Defies common sense. Possession is not defined in a tenth of a second.

Glad I didn't watch the 2nd period.

What nonsense.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Defies common sense. Possession is not defined in a tenth of a second.

Glad I didn't watch the 2nd period.

What nonsense.
And after that the team basically gave up.

They worked hard thru some bad penalties and mistakes by Schultz but were keeping on the pressure and playing well on the pp... After that though? Team just shat the bed. The call deflated them.
A weak ego team like the Oilers can't deal with bad bounces, Justin Schultz and the refs constantly.

A lot of good efforts get wasted by those 3 things a lot this year sadly.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe everybody is just tired about beating a dead horse but I'm surprised people aren't talking more about the officiating last night. Hall's goal being called back was an absolute joke. I assume that wasn't a reviewable play for a coaches challenge because Mclellan didn't ask for a review. Maybe the I pads weren't working or something.:sarcasm:

Plenty of stuff was missed but the one that really annoyed me was Keumper's slash or trip on Yakupov late in the third period. How was nothing called there? The play had already been whistled down and you have a goalie tripping a player for no reason. Is that not unsportsmanlike conduct at the very least? Had a player skated by a goalie after the whistle and taken a whack at his glove that's getting called because it likely leads to a scrum in front of the net. It was a boring game last night and it looked like the officials were just content to get it over with as much as the Oilers were.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hate sayin it cause I like the guy, but Yak embellishes and is probably starting to get a reputation for it.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Hi, coming from the Avs board and I'm making a GDT.
Can someone please mention your lines please, and probable starting goalie for tomorrow.

HF and Dailyfaceoff have different lines for you. If you could clarify your lines for me I'd be very grateful.

Ours for tomorrow is
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
Grigorenko-Duchene-Iginla
McLeod-Söderberg-Comeau
Martinsen-Mitchell-Skille

Beauchemin-Johnson
Holden-Barrie
Bigras-Bodnarchuck/Redmond

Pickard

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for those blaming the refs for our loses--I got bored and did stroll around 29 other home boards GDT and PGT discussions and guess what---all complaining about refs as well--just for some perspective--on the main board GDT--the BJ game is nothing but complaints about refs

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
for those blaming the refs for our loses--I got bored and did stroll around 29 other home boards GDT and PGT discussions and guess what---all complaining about refs as well--just for some perspective--on the main board GDT--the BJ game is nothing but complaints about refs

Don't you think some people have a point? Its one thing to say everyone is blaming refs, its even worse to look the other way and pretend they are doing a good job this season. I was not one to complain about the refs, but they have been horrendous this year, from causing goals by not paying attention and being in the wrong positions, to injuring players, bad reviews, and just a general ego trips.

2 minutes for you can't do that......

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Don't you think some people have a point? Its one thing to say everyone is blaming refs, its even worse to look the other way and pretend they are doing a good job this season. I was not one to complain about the refs, but they have been horrendous this year, from causing goals by not paying attention and being in the wrong positions, to injuring players, bad reviews, and just a general ego trips.

2 minutes for you can't do that......

Yes the refereeing in general has been horrific this year. But it isn't lop-sided, they suck for both teams. Difference between the poor teams and the good teams is the good teams can overcome getting screwed. The poor teams can't.

And that is why the standings are as they are. Good teams overcome adversity. The Oilers fold their tents.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

No coach can save this team with the current crop of players. Chia hasn't done anything, but as we all know by now he wants to see what he has first. I hope he does something at the deadline, but I think much of the change will happen in the off season. I would be very surprised if the current roster is pretty much the same as next season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hi, coming from the Avs board and I'm making a GDT.
Can someone please mention your lines please, and probable starting goalie for tomorrow.

HF and Dailyfaceoff have different lines for you. If you could clarify your lines for me I'd be very grateful.

Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Purcell
Korpikoski - Letestu - Yakupov
Hendricks - Lander - Pakarinen

Sekera - Schultz
Nurse - Fayne
Davidson - Clendening

That's what they were last game. Not sure if it'll be the same tomorrow night. Kassian might be back.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes the refereeing in general has been horrific this year. But it isn't lop-sided, they suck for both teams. Difference between the poor teams and the good teams is the good teams can overcome getting screwed. The poor teams can't.

And that is why the standings are as they are. Good teams overcome adversity. The Oilers fold their tents.

ding ding

EVERY fan base is pissed off with refereeing--but on this board some posters are convinced THAT is the reason why we are losing

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Purcell
Korpikoski - Letestu - Yakupov
Hendricks - Lander - Pakarinen

Sekera - Schultz
Nurse - Fayne
Davidson - Clendening

That's what they were last game. Not sure if it'll be the same tomorrow night. Kassian might be back.

Thanks!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
You guys can't possibly think this about the coach. Maybe pp coach.
I think rexal is cursed. All will be better next year when we get our new building and another 1st overall.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Starting to legitimately think Lowe sold his soul to the devil for 1st overall picks:

Lowe: 'I'm tired of finishing middle of the pack and having free agents spurn us.
Devil, I'm willing to trade my soul for a decade of high 1st round picks."

Devil: "Done."

Lowe leaves

Devil: "I never said anything about playoffs..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad