WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
CalculatingBitesizedGuillemot-small.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My biggest issue with the coaching is the stubbornness. It's normal for coaches to be this way but it still gets under my skin. This team is capable of playing a sound and disciplined structured defense but doesn't with regularity. Is anything done to even voice that concern? No. The other thing is a team with Burns and Karlsson at the points in the attacking zone never sees either of them below the faceoff circles to help generate offense unless they have the puck or are pinching for the puck. This team should be having a forward at the point a lot because they should be having their best offensive players trying to sneak in back door or get open in the slot area but they rarely do that. It's enraging how they overutilize them in one aspect and completely underutilize them in others. Burns is at his best when he has the puck on his stick in the slot area. Karlsson is at his best with the puck in the faceoff area at evens at least. How often does this team get them the puck in those areas? That's on coaching.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just saying, Jerry Jones has not fired Garrett yet which is more surprising to me than DW not firing PDB.

Till the team is in sniffing distance of the playoffs, PDB will not be fired. I think the team needs to be 15+ points out of the 3rd place in the Pacific by the All Star Game for anything to happen.

I think we need a full refresh after this year though. Get rid of both DW and PDB.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Just saying, Jerry Jones has not fired Garrett yet which is more surprising to me than DW not firing PDB.

Till the team is in sniffing distance of the playoffs, PDB will not be fired. I think the team needs to be 15+ points out of the 3rd place in the Pacific by the All Star Game for anything to happen.

I think we need a full refresh after this year though. Get rid of both DW and PDB.

Didnt the cowboys basically say this week that they will be firing him in the offseason? So they have basically said this is a lost season already.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Didnt the cowboys basically say this week that they will be firing him in the offseason? So they have basically said this is a lost season already.

I don't recall him saying that. I just remember Jones saying that he sees little to gain by firing Garrett mid-season.

Though their situation, while bad, is still better than us because at 6-7 the Cowboys are still winning the division. I am pretty sure that had the Cowboys not been leading the division, Jones would have fired Garrett.

We are in a slightly worse situation because while our division sucks, we are not in playoff contention as things stand right now. Though given how long the NHL season is, it could easily change in another 10-15 games (or even less).

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
My biggest issue with the coaching is the stubbornness. It's normal for coaches to be this way but it still gets under my skin. This team is capable of playing a sound and disciplined structured defense but doesn't with regularity. Is anything done to even voice that concern? No. The other thing is a team with Burns and Karlsson at the points in the attacking zone never sees either of them below the faceoff circles to help generate offense unless they have the puck or are pinching for the puck. This team should be having a forward at the point a lot because they should be having their best offensive players trying to sneak in back door or get open in the slot area but they rarely do that. It's enraging how they overutilize them in one aspect and completely underutilize them in others. Burns is at his best when he has the puck on his stick in the slot area. Karlsson is at his best with the puck in the faceoff area at evens at least. How often does this team get them the puck in those areas? That's on coaching.

I agree so much with this.

The thing that is extra sad though, is that in the rare occasions you actually do see Karlsson or Burns carry the puck lower than the point, no one does anything to actually take advantage of that because its super out of character and our players are not coached or allowed to actually be creative. So when someone gets creative more often then not it wasted effort.

Watching the chemistry and creativity of the Barkov line last night just hammers the point home. They are making cross ice, behind the back, no look, etc passes often, and moving all over the offensive zone trying to open up lanes. The other thing is they actually take shots from all the place, not just from the points or faceoff dots. They try to stick handle to the middle etc.

I cant even think of the last time I saw someone like Kane, Hertl, Meier etc, take the puck from the boards, juke one guy and crash the net for a shot. Its always juke a defender only to send the puck up the boards, to someone else who will try to do the same thing, and then one guy will peel towards the net to try to screen/tip the puck that is shot from the point, which just gets blocked, and puts our forwards behind the play defensively.

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
You know it's bad then the thread capped out! :D

I said it after Week 1, and still holding to it. This team doesn't make the playoffs without a coaching change.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Only 8 months, and that’s because the first one got locked.
Pretty sure the one before this wasn't the first one. I think I started the first after the oilers series, then another one popped up after the Vegas series they lost then another the following year.

Big surprise I was pissed that donskoi was benched in the oilers series...

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Calgary undefeated since they got rid of Peters. Just saying.

Pittsburgh, LA, St. Louis are all teams who have won cups in the last decade after firing their coach during the season. Why is DW so loyal to coaches? Deboer isn't a cup winning future hall of fame coach. He's above average but nothing special. Even multi cup winning coaches get fired multiple times in their careers. Almost every team gets a boost with a new coach even if it's short term and this team needs a shot in the arm right now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Calgary undefeated since they got rid of Peters. Just saying.

Pittsburgh, LA, St. Louis are all teams who have won cups in the last decade after firing their coach during the season. Why is DW so loyal to coaches? Deboer isn't a cup winning future hall of fame coach. He's above average but nothing special. Even multi cup winning coaches get fired multiple times in their careers. Almost every team gets a boost with a new coach even if it's short term and this team needs a shot in the arm right now.

The answer to your question is money.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Every coach is stubborn.

I think your goalie is a bigger problem than the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad