Finnish top 45 prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
I make TOP 45 list drafted finnish player swho has born 83' or later.

1. Kari Lehtonen -83 (Atlanta)
2. Lauri Tukonen, Blues -86 (Los Angeles)
3. Mikko Koivu, -83 (Minnesota)
4. Hannu Toivonen -84 (Boston)
5. Petteri Nokelainen, Saipa -86 (Ny Islanders)
6. Lauri Korpikoski, TPS -86 (Ny Rangers)
7. Sean Bergenheim -84 (NY Islanders)
8. Jesse Niinimaki, Ilves -83 (Edmonton)
9. Jussi Jokinen, Karpat -83 (Dallas)
10. Valtteri Filppula, Jokerit -84 (Detroit)
11. Teemu Lassila, TPS -83 (Nashville)
12. Masi Marjamaki, Moose Jaw -85 (Boston)
13. Sami Lepisto, Jokerit -84 (Washington)
14. Aki Seitsonen, Prince Albert -86 (Calgary)
15. Pasi Salonen, Pelicans -85 (Washigton)
16. Tuomas Nissinen, Assat -83 (St.Louis)
17. Kevin Kantee, Jokerit -84 (Chicago)
18. Arsi Piispanen, JYP -85 (Columbus)
19. Lennart Petrell, HIFK -84 (Columbus)
20. Ville Mantymaa, Tappara -85 (Anaheim)
21. Mikko Kalteva, Jokerit -84 (Colorado)
22. Oskari Korpikari, Karpat -84 (Montreal)
23. Petri Kontiola, Tappara -85 (Chicago)
24. Tomi Maki, Jokerit -83 (Calgary)
25. Teemu Jaaskelainen, Ilves -83 (Chicago)
26. Jarkko A. Immonen, Blues -84 (Dallas)
27. Topi Jaakola, Karpat -83 (Florida)
28. Valtteri Tenkanen, JYP -85 (Los Angeles)
29. Mikael Vuorio, Lukko -84 (Florida)
30. Juha-matti Aaltonen, Karpat -85 (St. Louis)
31. Henrik Juntunen, Karpat -83 (Los Angeles)
32. Tuomas Mikkonen, JYP -83 (Dallas)
33. Miikka Tuomainen, Tuto -86 (Atlanta)
34. Tommi Jaminki, Ilves -83 (Chicago)
35. Karri Ramo, Pelicans -86 (Tampa Bay)
36. Karri Akkanen, Tappara -84 (Tampa Bay)
37. Jussi Timonen, Saipa -83 (Philadelphia)
38. Ossi Louhivaara, JYP -83 (Ottawa)
39. Arttu Luttinen, HIFK -83 (Ottawa)
40. Marko Anttila, Ilves -85 (Chicago)
41. Ville Hostikka, ? -85 (Philadelphia)
42. Eero Kilpelainen, Kalpa -85 (Dallas)
43. Juha-Pekka Ketola, ? -83 (Ny Islanders)
44. Tuukka Pulliainen, TPS -84 (Los Angeles)
45. Niko Vainio, Jokerit -85 (Dallas)

Last edited:

degroat*

IFK, Given the years that Nissinen and JM Aaltonen had, I was surprised to see Nissinen ahead of Aaltonen, thougth Aaltonen's season was in the juniors. I'm curious what you think of the potential of these two players.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
IFK, Given the years that Nissinen and JM Aaltonen had, I was surprised to see Nissinen ahead of Aaltonen, thougth Aaltonen's season was in the juniors. I'm curious what you think of the potential of these two players.

Yes, i think also that Aaltonen is better than where i ranked him on that list, but it's not that easy rank players who are that different place to they career. Nissinen has that potential, but he haven't produced that well what everybody are waiting and thinking, but the potential is there.

degroat*

IFK said:
Yes, i think also that Aaltonen is better than where i ranked him on that list, but it's not that easy rank players who are that different place to they career. Nissinen has that potential, but he haven't produced that well what everybody are waiting and thinking, but the potential is there.

That's understandable. Do you expect Aaltonen to be in the SM-Liiga full time next year? I see that he played 8 games there last year.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Stich said:
That's understandable. Do you expect Aaltonen to be in the SM-Liiga full time next year? I see that he played 8 games there last year.

I think he has hard job to come regular player in Kärpät be cause they have maybe best forwards and it's also very deep scuad in forwards. But it's not out of the question at all that he make Kärpät FNL team cause he has skill's to come regulat player that team, but i think he still plays more in A-juniors than big team.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
Mikkonen at 32 and Akkanen at 36 LOL :D Besides that it was a good list. Marko Anttila makes the list just because he was drafted? Would you have put him on your list if he has not been drafted? I mean, draft pick does not make him any better player? Whats wrong with TOP-50?

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Kvashinator12 said:
can you give me the lowdown on Nokelainen? I would greatly appreciat it...Whats his upside?

I think Nokelainen is just like Jere Lehtinen, but i think little better offensively and much better hitter than what Lehtinen was in his age. I think he has all the tools come to 1 line defensively playing forward who can score goals but also make play. I think he is total backage, but it's still little bit a question mark what is he's upside. I think that if he can't produced that well what i think it's very sure that he's still come to a regular NHL player 2nd or 3rd line because he's that good in defensively and IMO he is potential future selke winner. I like Nokelainen's play very much and i don't see nothing wrong in his game. Maybe only little concern what someones see him play is he's speed, but thats not that bad at all and i don't see that is nothin but a that people have to find allways something little wrongs in players and my opinion is that's he's speed not a concern. Many times when big players play in Europeans big ice they look that they are slow, but peoples don't understand that it's not same thing play in smaller ring and thi's is the same concern what they say about also Tukonen, but i don't agree that they are slow cause i now they aren't. Also Nokelainen plays very much in NHL style and that is very good thing for him plays.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Why is Koivu continually ranked higher than a guy like Jokinen on these kinds of lists? Jokinen has continually outplayed and outproduced Koivu since their draft year. I guess thats what being a high pick and having a brother whose a star in the NHL can get you.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Starsfan09 said:
Why is Koivu continually ranked higher than a guy like Jokinen on these kinds of lists? Jokinen has continually outplayed and outproduced Koivu since their draft year. I guess thats what being a high pick and having a brother whose a star in the NHL can get you.

Cause Koivu has more potential than Jokinen. I now that Jokinen has been better player this far, but you have to think how far he can be go in NHL and i see that Koivu has more talent, skills and potential coming to much better player than Jokinen. Koivu is big player who type player's offen gets more time to produced than what takes Jokinen's type "little" fast wingers.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Brock said:
Just a question,

if Janne Laakkonen was drafted, where would he fit on that list?

He is born 82' so nowhere, but if i have to put him somewhere then i think it's not very high cause i'dont see him coming nothing but a very good European forward.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
IFK said:
Cause Koivu has more potential than Jokinen. I now that Jokinen has been better player this far, but you have to think how far he can be go in NHL and i see that Koivu has more talent, skills and potential coming to much better player than Jokinen. Koivu is big player who type player's offen gets more time to produced than what takes Jokinen's type "little" fast wingers.

5'11 isnt exactly small. And Koivu's lack of footspeed(according to his HF profile) will limit him in the NHL. Not a lot of slow forwards ever do anything nowadays.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Jyssy said:
Mikkonen at 32 and Akkanen at 36 LOL :D Besides that it was a good list. Marko Anttila makes the list just because he was drafted? Would you have put him on your list if he has not been drafted? I mean, draft pick does not make him any better player? Whats wrong with TOP-50?

Yes, that list is finnish drafted palyers who was born 83' or later. There is all finnish prospects who was drafted and born after 82'. Where do you put Mikkonen or Akkanen on that list? HF:board rank Akkanen's rate 5.5 and i think he is maybe 5. Akkanen is same than Anttila that they both can play hockey and when they are 6'7-6'9 tall monster forwards it's that why i see that they have a chance to come 4th line NHL players. Mikkonen has a some potential, but he has not produced that well what he has to if he want to be ranked higher and i ranked him higher than Akkanen and HF give him only rate 5 so i think that i'm not only alone whit my thinkings that he hasn't deserve be higher that list.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Starsfan09 said:
5'11 isnt exactly small. And Koivu's lack of footspeed(according to his HF profile) will limit him in the NHL. Not a lot of slow forwards ever do anything nowadays.

Yes, i now he isn't small and i think he is very good player, but he don't play big like Saku Koivu do and if you are not a big player you going to need that hard play in NHL. He is maybe more like future very good European player and he reminds Ville Peltonen who also haven't that hard play gear. He has still chance to come NHL player and i like very much his play.

I'think Mikko Koivu has not lack footspeed and this is the same thing what i talk about whit my post to this thread of Nokelainen and Tukonen speed.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
How big of a steal was Tukkonen at 11?

I think he was big steal and i think he was top 5 in this draft. I think some teams (Atlanta, Anaheim?) was take tey choice who they going to wanna take first when draft start so they think keep they choice, but i say that they make big mistakes. Tukonen was youngest player in the whole draft and he's fall was little miracle and early christmas present for Los Angeles. Tukonen is much better what many understand yet and i think he is real deal who can make big impact in the NHL. Tukonen and Nokelainen look very much same, but Tukonen has more upside and he is much better offensively. Nokelainen is better defensively, but Tukonen is also good in the defensive zone.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
IFK said:
I think Nokelainen is just like Jere Lehtinen, but i think little better offensively and much better hitter than what Lehtinen was in his age.

With all due respect, I really have to say that it might be wise to be careful with the stataments you make. Lehtinen is a Selke Throphy winner and 30 goal scorer in NHL. With that comment you are placing quite high expectations on Nokelainen. I's bet that since many people like to believe what they read, and take it literally there might be threads of Nokelainen busting in couple of years time.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
MaV said:
With all due respect, I really have to say that it might be wise to be careful with the stataments you make. Lehtinen is a Selke Throphy winner and 30 goal scorer in NHL. With that comment you are placing quite high expectations on Nokelainen. I's bet that since many people like to believe what they read, and take it literally there might be threads of Nokelainen busting in couple of years time.

So? Of course player who was drafted 16th in first round has expectations. I now that Jere Lehtinen is Selke winner but i think Nokelainen has potential to be better player offensively than what Lehtinen is now and Lehtinen is not 30 goal scorer still that he was made 30 goals in one season. . I also believe that everyone in this site has brain that much that they can make they own decision who and what they going to believe. I also now and i think everyone else now that there is only one Jere Lehtinen, but that not was the question. Question was that what is Nokelainen upside and i see he has upside be a better player offensively than what Lehtinen is, still that Nokelainen's upside is little question mark and i think Islanders scouts think same cause they take him first 16.

Last edited:

Chased By Trolls

Generational Talent
Mar 18, 2002
Tampere, Finland
Visit site
Jyssy said:
Mikkonen at 32 and Akkanen at 36 LOL :D Besides that it was a good list.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but having watched Akkanen score the game winner in overtime in game five of the best-of-five series in the junior A semi finals (and a beautiful breakaway goal it was, too) and then go on to score the game winner late in the third of the game five of the best-of-five junior league finals, I'm fairly confident he will surprise a lot of people in the future. He was a very reliable and important player in the other games I saw in the playoffs, too, always playing with a lot of heart and determination. His biggest weakness is his skating but I don't think it actually is half as bad as it looks. He could use a set of of softer hands too, although it's not a huge weakness in his game. He's currently still training with the Tappara junior A team but I would expect him to get a few games in the big league later next season or in Mestis (tier II men's league) on some sort of a loan deal.

Anyway, what I meant to say was that I think he should maybe be a little higher on the list, along with Kilpeläinen. Players that are too high IMO: Marjamäki, Lepistö, Mäki, Anttila. I'm not really too familiar with all the players on the list but to me the list looks otherwise pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad