Finnish slang

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
What's Hesa like right now? Is it common with mask requirements etc? Other restrictions to keep track off? I will go with my sister on the 15th. Need to know how much stock to bring :D

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
What's Hesa like right now? Is it common with mask requirements etc? Other restrictions to keep track off? I will go with my sister on the 15th. Need to know how much stock to bring :D
Still in use but getting more relaxed. I believe they stated that HSL would keep the mask requirement longer as more people start commuting to work again (although more and more people have already stopped wearing masks on public transport). The only place that I have seen people still use masks regularly is in supermarkets. Stores are more or less 50/50. On another note, I can almost guarantee that roughly everyone is reusing their facemasks so it doesn't have any real effect anyway

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Still in use but getting more relaxed. I believe they stated that HSL would keep the mask requirement longer as more people start commuting to work again (although more and more people have already stopped wearing masks on public transport). The only place that I have seen people still use masks regularly is in supermarkets. Stores are more or less 50/50. On another note, I can almost guarantee that roughly everyone is reusing their facemasks so it doesn't have any real effect anyway
Thanks! Going to thrift stores so likely some of them have the requirement. Is it common to pay with card in smaller stores? Growing up in Sweden I really hate cash..

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Thanks! Going to thrift stores so likely some of them have the requirement. Is it common to pay with card in smaller stores? Growing up in Sweden I really hate cash..
I rarely go to thrift stores so I'm not completely sure in those environments, but overall the card option is the same as in Sweden, even in smaller stores

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I carry a few small bills in my wallet just in case, but I can't even recall when was the last time I had to hand one over. I can't speak for every establishment out there, naturally, but I'd imagine that not accepting card payment these days is really going to limit one's business.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I carry a few small bills in my wallet just in case, but I can't even recall when was the last time I had to hand one over. I can't speak for every establishment out there, naturally, but I'd imagine that not accepting card payment these days is really going to limit one's business.
Great! Sweden is an extreme when it comes to cashless payment so couldn't be sure. We had new bills 2016 and I haven't held any of them yet and wouldn't recognize them!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Great! Sweden is an extreme when it comes to cashless payment so couldn't be sure. We had new bills 2016 and I haven't held any of them yet and wouldn't recognize them!
Since practically every building in Finland has high-speed internet, there's no reason for any mom'n'pop store to not accept card payment. And on top of that, high-speed mobile networks cover the entire country (well, there may be some small white patches with more reindeer than people), so even the coffee sellers cycling around parks tend to have the necessary devices.

The only instance where some cash might come in handy are those mass flea market events with tons of individual sellers. (Self service flea markets where sellers just rent a table and leave their stuff for people to browse should all accept card payment.) And even then things may work out. My sister was selling some of her old junk this summer and came across a buyer who didn't have any cash at hand. However, the seller the next table over did have a mobile payment device. So the customer paid with that, the other seller instantly wired the funds to my sister's account, and the matter was settled within minutes.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It will be interesting to see Helsinki again. Last time I was there was pretty much an in and out operation where all my time went to training colleagues in the Helsinki office for my last job.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It will be interesting to see Helsinki again. Last time I was there was pretty much an in and out operation where all my time went to training colleagues in the Helsinki office for my last job.

How long will you be staying and what are planning to do if I may ask?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Vitosendivari was amazing. Found all but one

That's a good place if you need to find any kind of film. It's weird that the place is still up and running considering the age we live in. All the dvd rental places have steadily gone down or have gotten turned into candyshops, but Vitosen divari still lives on. Did you have nice time visiting Helsinki? When was the last time you were in Helsinki?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Just saw this thread randomly and I don't believe this is slang, but I say Pelipäivä to my teammates each time I'm at the rink while playing the Finnish International goal song in the background in the locker room because it's so hip before hitting the ice. :laugh:

I believe it means Game day, which is what google translate told me lol.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
That's a good place if you need to find any kind of film. It's weird that the place is still up and running considering the age we live in. All the dvd rental places have steadily gone down or have gotten turned into candyshops, but Vitosen divari still lives on. Did you have nice time visiting Helsinki? When was the last time you were in Helsinki?
Last time before this was in 2016 on a business trip! We went to Coty museum and hesburger and bought lots of finnish candy and foods :D

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Just saw this thread randomly and I don't believe this is slang, but I say Pelipäivä to my teammates each time I'm at the rink while playing the Finnish International goal song in the background in the locker room because it's so hip before hitting the ice. :laugh:

I believe it means Game day, which is what google translate told me lol.
Not slang at all :)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Now, now. I'm sure there's nothing like a forceful "Fy sjutton!" to convince any Finn that now you're really, really upset...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I am kinda half thinking about taking a cruise to Turku on thursday before midsummer.. but are all restaurants and all shops that aren't for groceries closed on juhannusaatto?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Going on a cruise with my nephew this weekend, he likes Halpahalli and other stores with cheap misc items. Anything like that close to Hesa center? Is Tokmanni city center or Kaisaniemi my best bet?

Is Konsolinet the place to go for used games and stuff?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad