Finnish roster in a best-on-best an absolute favorite together with the US and Canada?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
What's the format for that dumb NHL tournament? If it's a single round robin followed by single-game knockout, any of the four teams could win.

Me, I'm hoping for a Sweden-Finland final, which, at 0-0, goes into quadruple over time and ends with the two teams alternating icing the puck and laughing at Gary Bettman.
This 4 nation thing is nothing but a dress rehearsal for the big four to see where they stand going into 2026.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Sweden is much better. Their every defenceman is on Heiskanen's level or near it
Well if that's the case? I believe UPL is just as good as any Swedish goalie and he proved it this year with a shitty defense in front of him the most nights.
And you probably think every roster should contain 6 flashy D's, newsflash, I don't. That's why I'm mentioning one of Finlands big strengths that I consider a lot stronger than both Russias and also a bit stronger than Sweden and it's the center position.

Did you even read what I wrote? Finland have players who can buy roles but still maintain a high level. Määttä, Lindell, Hakanpää, Kakko, Lundell and Lehkonen are some of them. And yeah, that together with the elite players and Jalonens coaching? I consider Finland a bigger threat than both Sweden and Russia as a team. Sweden is close, Russia isn't.

You forgot about Russia
No I actually didn't. Malkin, Panarin, Kucherov, Svech, Ovechkin and others aren't enough for the lack of depth anymore. I consider Sweden and Finland as better and more complete teams. Easily.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
And that is without Russia in the mix. Otherwise something like this:
Canada/USA
Sweden

Russia

Finland

Finland has 4 maximum 5 skaters that would take a spot on team Sweden. They have like 3 skaters making the USA or Canadian roster. Laughable thread.

Canada with Finns:
Thomas-McDavid-Marner
Bedard-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Verhaege-Crosby-Point
Marchand-Barkov-Barzal

Toews-Makar
Morrisey-Dobson
Heiskanen-Pietrangelo

USA with Finns:
Tkachuk-Matthews-Tkachuk
Eichel-Hughes-Rantanen
Robertson-Barkov-Guentzel
Connor-Aho-Miller

Hughes-McAvoy
Slavin-Fox
Heiskanen-Hanifin

Sweden with Finns:
Forsberg - Pettersson - Rantanen
Bratt - Barkov - Nylander
Hintz - Eriksson Ek - Raymond
Karlsson - Aho - Kempe

Hedman - Karlsson
Brodin - Dahlin
Heiskanen - Lindholm
You are actually showing how silly you are. That's not how the games will be played isn't it? Also, when you put Heiskanen on your third pair and Aho behind E.EK? Lol! Barkov behind Pettersson isn't sure either. I would pick both Aho and Barkov before Pettersson but that's rather subjective. I rather pick Hintz than Forsberg too. Also, I'd pick Jalonen before a swedish coach. And... I have a strong feeling UPL is the best goalie from Sweden and Finland right now. If you've watched how lousy the Sabres has been in defense this year you would never believe UPL was able to bring good stats and those SO.

"
Luukkonen started a career-high 54 games for Buffalo and tied for fifth in the NHL with five shutouts and ninth among qualified goaltenders with a 2.57 goals-against average. His .910 save percentage ranked ninth among goaltenders with at least 50 games played.

His goals-against average was the lowest by a Sabres goaltender with at least 50 games played since Ryan Miller – another name Ruff is familiar with – in 2011-12. His 27 wins and five shutouts were also the most for a Sabres goaltender in a single season since Miller."

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden-Finland is very even, 0n paper

Well if that's the case? I believe UPL is just as good as any Swedish goalie and he proved it this year with a shitty defense in front of him the most nights.
And you probably think every roster should contain 6 flashy D's, newsflash, I don't. That's why I'm mentioning one of Finlands big strengths that I consider a lot stronger than both Russias and also a bit stronger than Sweden and it's the center position.

Did you even read what I wrote? Finland have players who can buy roles but still maintain a high level. Määttä, Lindell, Hakanpää, Kakko, Lundell and Lehkonen are some of them. And yeah, that together with the elite players and Jalonens coaching? I consider Finland a bigger threat than both Sweden and Russia as a team. Sweden is close, Russia isn't.

No I actually didn't. Malkin, Panarin, Kucherov, Svech, Ovechkin and others aren't enough for the lack of depth anymore. I consider Sweden and Finland as better and more complete teams. Easily.
Marcus Pettersson
Jonas Brodin
Adam Larsson
Hampus Lindholm
Mattias Ekholm

are not flashy. They are swedish versions of Lindell and Määtta.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Sweden-Finland is very even, 0n paper

Marcus Pettersson
Jonas Brodin
Adam Larsson
Hampus Lindholm
Mattias Ekholm

are not flashy. They are swedish versions of Lindell and Määtta.
Yeah, but half of them will not get to play for you in the end, or? Also, I really, really trust Hakanpää and Määttä in their defending ability. I would choose them before half of those players you mentioned. Especially under the Finnish system and if Jalonen is managing them.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lehkonen - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Laine
Tolvanen - Hintz - Kakko
Kotkaniemi - Granlund - Haula

Heiskanen - Hakanpää
Lindell - Jokiharju
Välimäki - Määttä
Mikkola

Saros
Lankinen
Luukkonen

Yeah, but half of them will not get to play for you in the end, or? Also, I really, really trust Hakanpää and Määttä in their defending ability. I would choose them before half of those players you mentioned. Especially under the Finnish system and if Jalonen is managing them.
No idea. We will see. Also the ongoing WC is Jalonens last tournament. Pennanen is the coach in the 4 nations.

Reactions: jj cale

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lehkonen - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Laine
Tolvanen - Hintz - Kakko
Kotkaniemi - Granlund - Haula

Heiskanen - Hakanpää
Lindell - Jokiharju
Välimäkii - Määttä
Mikkola

Saros
Lankinen
Luukkonen
Lehkonen-Aho-Rantanen
Teräväinen-Barkov-Kakko
Maccelli-Hintz-Laine
Tolvanen-Lundell-Granlund

Haula-Luostarinen-Lambert
Very well balanced.

Mentionable players: Kotkaniemi is unsure for now. Lambert has some serious potential. Aatu Räty could rise soon. Luostarinen is worth mentioning. Haula. Oliver Kapanen could be there in 2-3 years. Hyry, Kemell for the future and Tuomaala as well.

Heiskanen-Lindell
Välimäki- Hakanpää
Määttä-Mikkola
Vaakanainen-Jokiharju
Heinola (will bloom out soon I believe)- Niemelä (same as Heinola).
Defensively very sound.

1.UPL
2.Saros

Annunen, Blomqvist, Lankinen etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and Eye of Ra

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Ok. Conveniently leaving out Kaprizov, Nichushkin and Kuzmenko up front.

Sergachev, Orlov, Provorov, Zadorov and Gavrikov on the back end.

Vasilevski, Shesterkin, Sorokin and Bobrovski in net.

Not to mention the KHL additions.

While they are always a crap shoot as to whether they will gel, that's a makeup of a good team on paper.

Goal scoring ability up front, toughness and puck moving on the back end, as well as the best goaltending in the tournament.

Put your biases behind you.

Reactions: hn777

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Russia do have a good team

Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov
Kaprizov - Barbashev - Svechnikov
Ovechkin - Voronkov - Nichushkin
Buchnevich - Namestnikov - Tarasenko

Sergachyov - Zub
Provorov - Orlov
Romanov - Gavrikov

Bob/Sorokin/Vasilevsky/Kochetkov/Shestyorkin/Varlamov/Georgiyev

Not to mention the KHL additions.
Which?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Russia do have a good team

Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov
Kaprizov - Barbashev - Svechnikov
Ovechkin - Voronkov - Nichushkin
Buchnevich - Namestnikov - Tarasenko

Sergachyov - Zub
Provorov - Orlov
Romanov - Gavrikov

Bob/Sorokin/Vasilevsky/Kochetkov/Shestyorkin/Varlamov/Georgiyev

Which?
If I knew the insides and outs of the KHL, I would have listed them. Not exaxtly in my scope of expertise. They seem to always ice a few regardless.

As you proved earlier in your post, they would have a good team without additions from abroad.

Do you have any that you can contribute, or are you just testing my knowledge of the KHL?

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Switzerland will spank you all :sarcasm:

We will take over Milan in 2026 :sarcasm:

And if we don't, I hope Italian beer is good :laugh:

(yeah Finland could win it all on a best on best, no one would be shocked)

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If you completely ignore goaltending.

Russia doesn't really lack depth, they have a full roster and then some of pretty quality NHL players even without needing to dip into KHL.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
You are actually showing how silly you are. That's not how the games will be played isn't it? Also, when you put Heiskanen on your third pair and Aho behind E.EK? Lol! Barkov behind Pettersson isn't sure either. I would pick both Aho and Barkov before Pettersson but that's rather subjective. I rather pick Hintz than Forsberg too. Also, I'd pick Jalonen before a swedish coach. And... I have a strong feeling UPL is the best goalie from Sweden and Finland right now. If you've watched how lousy the Sabres has been in defense this year you would never believe UPL was able to bring good stats and those SO.

"
Luukkonen started a career-high 54 games for Buffalo and tied for fifth in the NHL with five shutouts and ninth among qualified goaltenders with a 2.57 goals-against average. His .910 save percentage ranked ninth among goaltenders with at least 50 games played.

His goals-against average was the lowest by a Sabres goaltender with at least 50 games played since Ryan Miller – another name Ruff is familiar with – in 2011-12. His 27 wins and five shutouts were also the most for a Sabres goaltender in a single season since Miller."
Even if your notes here would stand correct that doesn’t change my point one bit

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
In a one game elimination finland absolutely could win gold. Upsets happen quite often in international hockey just because the skill of players can be neutralized because of the game. Finland on paper would have the 4th best roster but the game isn’t played on paper.

Reactions: Czechboy

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
We'd have our best forward group ever right now, but at the same time, the defense would be the weakest of the big nations by far.

Even if they do a good job plugging in guys for the right roles, it doesn't change the fact that other nations can ice all-star caliber d-cores while we're sending out multiple #4-6 guys.

And yeah goaltending can make up for it, but since it's best on best, other countries have a good #1 guy as well.

Finland is obviously in the group of the best teams, but I wouldn't say they're one of the favorites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad