WWE: Finn Balor: "To get called up to the main roster would be a step back right now"

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
On a Possible Main Roster Move: “I really believe that what we’re doing here in the [WWE] Performance Center [and] what we’re doing with NXT is something that’s going to be remembered for years. I feel like to get quote, unquote called up to the main roster would be, maybe, like a step back for my career right [now]. Obviously, instant gratification, you get called up to the main roster, that’s great, but I think what we’re doing here in NXT will stand longer in history as kind of like a revolutionary period and to kind of pull myself out of that would be detrimental to my career in the long term.â€

- Sam Roberts' Wrestling Podcast.

I didn't think I'd hear anyone in NXT utter those words, but it should send a message to the CEO that his developmental talents would rather stay in "developmental" than go to the main roster. With Triple H saying Finn still has a lot to learn as well, I wouldn't even count on a post-WM debut at this point.

Of course, it's not Finn's call in the end, but I don't really see it happening. I see Enzo and Cass and/or Bayley getting that post-WM call up, and maybe even Sami Zayn.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Doesn't Balor have a more guaranteed contract, and isn't on a traditional developmental contract ?

Makes it easier for someone to say stuff like that when they don't have to worry as much

That's not to take away what he said by any means though, as it's very true
Glad he's speaking up like that

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Doesn't Balor have a more guaranteed contract, and isn't on a traditional developmental contract ?

Makes it easier for someone to say stuff like that when they don't have to worry as much

That's not to take away what he said by any means though, as it's very true
Glad he's speaking up like that

He probably makes the most money of anyone on a developmental deal.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He isn't wrong. He is THE guy in NXT.

He would get buried on the main roster. Look at Breeze? KO is doing alright, but not much. Would take a while for Finn to get out of the mid card.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
He isn't wrong. He is THE guy in NXT.

He would get buried on the main roster. Look at Breeze? KO is doing alright, but not much. Would take a while for Finn to get out of the mid card.

To be honest...
I think Breeze is just Ziggler-light...
And Ziggler is still on the roster.

Unfortunately...
The model gimmick...
Which had not gone over that well on the main roster...
Is the only thing that separates him from the rest.

In other words...
The guy is screwed...
Which is unfortunate.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I wouldn't have thought he'd have a say in the matter.

Always figured it was similar to hockey, where a player would sign a two-way deal and get called up when needed. Balor finally gets called up, he reports to Raw. That sort of thing. :dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's said it before. I guess the questions are surfacing since people are anticipating it given all the injuries.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
I'm interested in what he means by this. He could be saying that he wants to build up the NXT brand to the potential that HHH envisions, or if he just wants to wait it out until there's a creative spark on the main roster.

If it's the latter, well, he's 34 years old and not getting any younger.

HeymanGuy

Sep 10, 2014
Kitchener, Ontario
Even if true, he has to be an idiot to say that. EVentually, he will be working with the writers, producers and talent on that main roster. Finn is a great worker, but he isn't bullet proof, pardon the pun. His mic work is the *****.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
He's said things like this for ages, and everyone in the company (rightfully) still hype him up. HHH even says it during business calls.

They want to grow NXT, and he's their guy right now. They know NXT is hot, they want people to want to be there. They want people to think it's important and not something that's 'just developmental'.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He knows he's a top guy in NXT and won't be on the main roster. He's probably enjoying the hell out of NXT why go be a jobber/mid carder when he can remain on top of the mountain.

He could still debut after Mania tho... I still see him as champ going into the NXT TakeOver before Mania and probably losing it to Apollo Crews

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He's doing great things in NXT at the top of the mountain there and NXT is receiving a lot of praise. He is the NXT Champion and main event shows.

A move to the main roster IS a step back for him right now. He sees what's happened to Neville, and Tyler Breeze, they are insignificant. Rusev and Owens have bee fed to the Cena machine, and the show has been **** for weeks.

Last night seemed to be a step in the right direction, but really where would Balor fit on the roster?

I'm not expecting him in the main event when he gets there, but I think right now with what's happening with NXT it is not the right time, and that's all he saying. It's not the right time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If everyone's so intent on having that Mania moment of seeing his demon entrance, then have it as a one off NXT vs WWE type of match, where he might be member of a tag team. That would raise interest in NXT as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure they wouldn't do anything until Finn Balor has a nice long heel run, which I'm sure will be awesome as well.

Oct 18, 2011
Finn likes being a big fish in a small pond.....

But generally nxt talents are not getting over much in wwe but i think finn could be the exception

it's easy to see why neville and tyler breeze are where they are.

Neville has zero personality, he has great moves but he is a channel changer for me most of the time, hopefully the miz will help him

tyler breeze is not going to go anywhere as long as he keeps doing duck faces and wears that crap around his boots that **** is just not going to get over

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
tyler breeze is not going to go anywhere as long as he keeps doing duck faces and wears that crap around his boots that **** is just not going to get over

The problem is...
Without the model gimmick...
What does Breeze have?
He would just be Ziggler-light...
Even more than he already is.

It is what it is.
I am not surprised at all...
Because I thought that gimmick was a dud...
Even when he was killing it in NXT.
He is basically this year's Fandango.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't think it's about being a big fish in a small pond, I think he is a bit of a purist and cares about "wrestling" rather than "sports entertainment" and sees NXT as something special with regards to wrestling.

He can better ply his craft in NXT than on the main roster. He's leading the charge for a show that is forging a bigger and bigger following for the things he probably enjoys from the business.

It's not like New Japan was a small pond.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think it's about being a big fish in a small pond, I think he is a bit of a purist and cares about "wrestling" rather than "sports entertainment" and sees NXT as something special with regards to wrestling.

He can better ply his craft in NXT than on the main roster. He's leading the charge for a show that is forging a bigger and bigger following for the things he probably enjoys from the business.

It's not like New Japan was a small pond.

That's one of the things Triple H sort of hinted at in his conference call when describing Balor's situation. He's seasoned and has been everywhere, but the way he did things before NXT is different from the way the WWE brand is and he still has more to learn in regards to the "sports entertainment" aspect of it all.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Finn likes being a big fish in a small pond.....

But generally nxt talents are not getting over much in wwe but i think finn could be the exception

it's easy to see why neville and tyler breeze are where they are.

Neville has zero personality, he has great moves but he is a channel changer for me most of the time, hopefully the miz will help him

Breeze has been in developmental for about 5 years and was on the verge of management giving up on him and that's when he invented the Breeze character. You'd be asking him to give up the thing that saved his career.

He can get over but he hasn't been given much help. He's been given almost no time to show the character and he lost roughly 17 matches go Ziggler.

Outside of Kevin Owens has there been a truly successful NXT graduate since the era of Rollins and the Wyatt Family? I can't think of any so there are really 3 options.

1) the talent is meh
2) creative and booking is doing nothing to help these guys
3) NXT is actually doing a bad job at preparing these guys for the main roster. They get TV time...the focus is on the wrestling... Ring work matters and the crowd is white hot. NXT is everything WWE isnt so how can these guys ever really be prepared for it?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If everyone's so intent on having that Mania moment of seeing his demon entrance, then have it as a one off NXT vs WWE type of match, where he might be member of a tag team. That would raise interest in NXT as well.

Imagine Finn as NXT champion winning the Rumble and fighting Cena as WWE World Heavyweight Champion in the main event of Wrestlemania, and Finn going over.

What a statement that would be, too bad it would never happen.

Oct 18, 2011
Breeze has been in developmental for about 5 years and was on the verge of management giving up on him and that's when he invented the Breeze character. You'd be asking him to give up the thing that saved his career.

He can get over but he hasn't been given much help. He's been given almost no time to show the character and he lost roughly 17 matches go Ziggler.

Outside of Kevin Owens has there been a truly successful NXT graduate since the era of Rollins and the Wyatt Family? I can't think of any so there are really 3 options.

1) the talent is meh
2) creative and booking is doing nothing to help these guys
3) NXT is actually doing a bad job at preparing these guys for the main roster. They get TV time...the focus is on the wrestling... Ring work matters and the crowd is white hot. NXT is everything WWE isnt so how can these guys ever really be prepared for it?

i think breeze can get over if he makes some changes...he's basically trying to be an ambiguously gay character, let's call it what it is, but it's too G-rated to work as is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad