Finland's ties with the Minnesota Wild?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
This is maybe one of the best threads ever.

Ran into some Fins at the Ranger game who grabbed me because of my Koivu jersey. Super nice.

Funny that my Wild following has made me pro-Finland in international competitions. I oddly cheer for them more than Team USA. That and the Czechs because I have a strong Czech last name.

Same here. Bohemians unite!:laugh:

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
We also have Finntown up North in Virginia (as well as other parts of bigger cities, but that's Finntown U.S.A.).

Oh, and a Finland, MN. Yeah, that exists.

As for the bars up in the Range, I go up there every once and awhile and several times in the last few weeks -- Virginia actually has a few decent places, just don't expect them to be open until 2am.

I'm not Finnish, but my Gramps grew up in Finntown as a Croat. The Finns struck against the mining companies, and they brought in the Croatians to combat that effort with the reasoning different language and different church. Yeah, that backfired because the Croatians and Finns united likely because they were both treated like crap, so I've always had a positive feeling towards the country and people, as well as Finnish-Americans.

To me, in terms of smaller ethnic groups in the US, they are the closest to the Irish in terms of celebrating their ancestry than most others.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Really cool to hear peoples stories about how they first became fans. Especially after a loss like tonights. It's good to remember how you got to that first emotional attachment with a team. Really great stuff guys. I'm glad you are all on the good team. The Wild's side.

And it' really nice to hear stories from overseas too . About roots, culture, language and accents, cities and villages, even bars.. While I've never been to America, I think it's easier to imagine how's living there up north than for example in Texas or California.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
This is maybe one of the best threads ever.

Ran into some Fins at the Ranger game who grabbed me because of my Koivu jersey. Super nice.

Funny that my Wild following has made me pro-Finland in international competitions. I oddly cheer for them more than Team USA. That and the Czechs because I have a strong Czech last name.

You live in New York, IIRC..? How did you become a Wild fan? Are you native Minnesotan then moved or something?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
lets put it this way, right after last nights shootout i went to outside for cigarette. i am living middle of nowhere and i have one neighbour and he came exactly same time about 5am to doing same thing. apparently there is two things for us fins to do middle of week at that time, and watching wild game is number one. cheers.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You live in New York, IIRC..? How did you become a Wild fan? Are you native Minnesotan then moved or something?
Grew up in Twin Cities metro area (well just across the border in WI). Married a girl from Manhattan. It's another planet here in NYC.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Ha, somebody shared this article on my FB feed.

#21 is St. Urho’s Celebration in Finland, MN. I had never heard of Finland, MN before. But I've seen it referenced twice in the last week (once in this thread, and once in that article) :laugh:

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
I can admit than I am a "bandwagoner" since I started to support Wild pretty late, and only beacuse of Granny and the other Finns. But maybe I'll grow to be a fan of the team itself, even if it had no finns at all.

I was Red Wings fan since 1990 to 2010 and the didn't have many Finns at all. There has been too many swedes for a long time now and I just can't support them like before since all my favorite players have retired already.

Also...
Team Finland:
Usually controls the game, good skating and possession
Hard nosed, hard working team but not overly physical or big
Can not score goals
If leading in 3rd, turtle is coming
Have potential to epic meltdowns and comebacks

Sound familiar?

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
thought I would give this a bump after revisiting these posts. I'm always excited to see the Finns represented well at the X, which has been the case at the games i've attended recently. Lots of quality posts in this thread.

& happy belated b-day Lapa! That's an awesome and passionate story about traveling long distances to see Koivu. One love.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
thought I would give this a bump after revisiting these posts. I'm always excited to see the Finns represented well at the X, which has been the case at the games i've attended recently. Lots of quality posts in this thread.

& happy belated b-day Lapa! That's an awesome and passionate story about traveling long distances to see Koivu. One love.

We have Finnish rap in the warm ups now. :yo:

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
:help:

I thought there is a place called Finland in somewhere in Minnesota?

But I guess both places are alike; got high hopes that will never realize :(

There is, my fake ID at uni was a Minnesota one from there. :laugh:

I also have a "Pesäpallo" hat from up North too that my Gramps always wore (he is a Croat who grew up in Finntown).

Cheek is pretty much the Finnish version of Pitbull. :laugh:

IT'S SO FITTING.

Next we need some Apulanta, Happoradio, Kotiteollisuus and Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Finns are a good group to have supporting us! Always had a lot of respect for the way Finns and Scandinavians in general do things. I like the dry sense of humor and I respect that every Finn out there is tough and just quietly does his part. Seems like Finns are tough, practical people.

Also the Finnish defense of Russia in WWII was ridiculously impressive and probably saved Europe when you think about it. If the Red Army wasn't stymied by the Finns in such embarrassing fashion, it is arguable that Stalin never would've realized how inept his army really was and wouldn't have been able to punish the Nazis on the eastern front. So yeah Finland is awesome in my book.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Finns are a good group to have supporting us! Always had a lot of respect for the way Finns and Scandinavians in general do things. I like the dry sense of humor and I respect that every Finn out there is tough and just quietly does his part. Seems like Finns are tough, practical people.

Also the Finnish defense of Russia in WWII was ridiculously impressive and probably saved Europe when you think about it. If the Red Army wasn't stymied by the Finns in such embarrassing fashion, it is arguable that Stalin never would've realized how inept his army really was and wouldn't have been able to punish the Nazis on the eastern front. So yeah Finland is awesome in my book.

I remember reading once that our losses at 39-40 were 25 thousand and they were somewhere in the 126 000 range, we won't give up no matter what :laugh:
It was embarrassing to read how they tried to make it that we started the war against them even though Russia+Hitler had made a deal how to split europe and Finland was meant for Russia. Our guns were nowhere near the spot they claimed them to be.

You see that attitude in hockey, if there's a finn in your team he is probably one of the hardest working players on your team, won't cry
when it hurts rather says I wanna go back. The plan is to outwork your opponent every time because we just can't score :laugh:

I started to watch Wilds games right away when I was able mainly due to Granlund and wanting to see how he will do but didn't take long for me to become a fan, also for some reason I really like to watch your home games, I don't know why but I like the Xcel energy center.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Some of them are just plain badass.

Like the White Death. Over 500 sniper kills during the winter war with a plain old rifle. Got his face shot up and lived through it. One of the toughest S.O.B.'s I've ever read about. You'd have to tone down his kill count if you made a movie about him just to keep it within suspension of disbelief range for the audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00