WJC: Finland WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Anything more than a quarterfinal-spot would be great imo, i can´t see that happening though. Finland is in the same group as Canada, USA and the czechs. A third place spot in that group would be my guess, the czechs could be an underdog though. Then Finland faces either Sweden or Russia in the quarters, and thats where it probably ends.:(

Pretty much the way I see it too or at least it's the most likely scenario at this point. Luckily that team has some potential to cause an upset if the opponent isn't fully ready coming to the game.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Anything more than a quarterfinal-spot would be great imo, i can´t see that happening though. Finland is in the same group as Canada, USA and the czechs. A third place spot in that group would be my guess, the czechs could be an underdog though. Then Finland faces either Sweden or Russia in the quarters, and thats where it probably ends.:(

I agree with you. But it's always the same story at olympics, WC and all. I think that we could beat russia very well. Sweden? slim chances. I don't expect anything i just want to see how Barkov Jr. fares in that tournament shutting down star junior players. Medal would be great. I know 1 thing that we gonna have beastly Powerplay.

Fulcrum

Hopefully Russia can win their group and avoid the Qfinals alltogether.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Granlund - Granlund - Armia
Pulkkinen - Ristolainen/Määttä

would like to see that as PP1

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Even though we should have also pretty good team (considering our situation with youth) we´re still an outsider here and it would be quite a big surprise for me to make quarterfinal. Other teams are just better IMO (too bad we´re not in group with Switzerland). Anyway, if we really don´t succeed in making it, I´ll be rooting for Finland for sure. I´m a big fan of these Granlunds kids. :yo:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It’s questionable whether Finland will have a better team than last year. Last year’s team had solid goaltending, good defensive core and overall better depth players. Every player on that team could be relied on in difficult situations.

The 4 nations tournament game in Vaasa between Finland and Sweden was played in a relatively small rink (28m x 58m), so in a way that game showed what some of the Finnish players could do in a small rink against a tough opponent; not a whole lot.

My guess is that Kuznetsov will be the top offensive player in the upcoming WJC’s, not Granlund.

Don't worry about Aittokallio. The guy at times outplayed Varlamov at our training camp.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Don't worry about Aittokallio. The guy at times outplayed Varlamov at our training camp.

Like with many younger goalies Aittokallio's performances vary quite a lot from period to period, game to game. He's simply letting in a few too many soft goals. With better consistency/concentration he could do the same as Joni Ortio did last year, but at this point he's one of the question marks surrounding this team.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I guess Aittokallio is pretty high if not 1st on the goalie list since he's a Ilves kid and all. When I saw him play last season he looked really good but this year he hasn't performed as well. Looking at stats, it seems like Gibson has had a weak start to the season as well, so our goaltending is definitely the biggest question mark right now as well as Raipe.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Don't forget in what team Aittokallio plays in, currently 13th of 14 and still decent 0.911 percentage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Like with many younger goalies Aittokallio's performances vary quite a lot from period to period, game to game. He's simply letting in a few too many soft goals. With better consistency/concentration he could do the same as Joni Ortio did last year, but at this point he's one of the question marks surrounding this team.

Nope, he was the best goaler overall in our camp against NHL players. In all the games I saw there was 1-2 weak goals he let in, but this was from 5-6 games.

Very calm and well positioned. Seemed he never made a mistake.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Don't forget in what team Aittokallio plays in, currently 13th of 14 and still decent 0.911 percentage.
This is very true. I saw one of his games with LeKi which was not so good so I guess that had a rather large influence on my view of his performance this season.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Finns have a good set of talented forwards, but our young defense core is a questionmark along with goalies.

How we fared against Sweden last couple of times doesnt get my hopes up. Quarterfinals and after that anything can happen.

Rimbe

Sep 20, 2011
Finland
Which team would you guys prefer in the quarterfinals if you finish third, Russia or Sweden?

I don't know. I would really wanna have revenge against Russia but when we play against Sweden it's just magical and I love playing against Sweden. Of course I'll get pissed if we lose but our rivalry with Sweden is amazing :handclap:

So maybe Sweden. (and it's not anything that the other team is worse than the other)

E: And we will play against Sweden in finals :nod::yo:

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Aittokallio has made a lot of mistakes this season. He is not a SM-Liiga quality goalie.

Oh and Russia for the quaterfinal opponent for the obvious reasons.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

I thought same about ortio last year. He wasn't consistent at all before that. He suprised me and everyone else. Why Aittokallio can't do the same? I know, we live or die with our goaltending. I hope it works.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
It’s questionable whether Finland will have a better team than last year. Last year’s team had solid goaltending, good defensive core and overall better depth players. Every player on that team could be relied on in difficult situations.
Pros and cons time!

+ Granlund is probably the best player Finland has ever had in a u20 tournament
+ Pulkkinen, Donskoi, Armia, Määttä are all a year older. Especially we should see a big improvement with Määttä and Armia.
+ Especially improved Salomäki, who will be very important for the team
+ Center position is very deep this year. Haula, Nättinen, Virkkunen, Tuominen <<<<<< Granlund, Mustonen, Barkov, Salomäki

- No Vatanen
- Less depth in forwards, after top 9 the level drops drastically,
- Defense is young and unexperienced. Still, not as big of a minus as some people make it out to be. Määttä, Hakanpää and Pokka in my books are solid SM-liiga calibre defensemen, maybe Ristolainen as well. Last year Vatanen, Jokipakka, and Kivistö were SM-liiga regulars, of which Kivistö was brutal in last years tournament.
- Ortio > Aittokallio, Aittokallio and Gibson are questionmarks

I still take this years team over last years pretty clearly, this year we have way more game braking talent and offense. While our defense isn't as solid as last year, it is a lot more talented, and there are guys that can raise their game to the next level.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
I thought same about ortio last year. He wasn't consistent at all before that. He suprised me and everyone else. Why Aittokallio can't do the same? I know, we live or die with our goaltending. I hope it works.

Ortio had trained under the best goaltender coach in Finland, Urpo Ylönen.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I don't know. I would really wanna have revenge against Russia but when we play against Sweden it's just magical and I love playing against Sweden. Of course I'll get pissed if we lose but our rivalry with Sweden is amazing :handclap:

So maybe Sweden. (and it's not anything that the other team is worse than the other)

E: And we will play against Sweden in finals :nod::yo:

Indeed, playing Finland is somethin special! But I was thinking more in a go as far as possible in the tournament perspective this time :)

Well he's a Swede so it's understandable :sarcasm:.

:sarcasm::laugh:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Even though we should have also pretty good team (considering our situation with youth) we´re still an outsider here and it would be quite a big surprise for me to make quarterfinal. Other teams are just better IMO (too bad we´re not in group with Switzerland). Anyway, if we really don´t succeed in making it, I´ll be rooting for Finland for sure. I´m a big fan of these Granlunds kids. :yo:

Swiss has very good team this year, could surprise some people.
Goaltending is questionmark though.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Nope, he was the best goaler overall in our camp against NHL players. In all the games I saw there was 1-2 weak goals he let in, but this was from 5-6 games.

Very calm and well positioned. Seemed he never made a mistake.
Aittokallio alongside with Samu Perhonen is probably the most naturally talented U20 goalie in Finland at the moment. He has size, quickness, athleticism and a good foundation to further develop his butterfly, but his game is still somewhat raw. Based on his season so far in Finland it’s slightly optimistic to expect him to perform steadily for a longer period of time (like a whole tournament), but hopefully he rises to the occasion.

Yep, the situation was the same with Ortio last year. One can only hope that Aittokallio also finds the right rhythm at the crucial moment.

I still take this years team over last years pretty clearly, this year we have way more game braking talent and offense. While our defense isn't as solid as last year, it is a lot more talented, and there are guys that can raise their game to the next level.
Last year many of the forwards were right at home in a NA rink and it seemed that most of the players knew what to do and what was expected from them. It’s surprising how well that team gelled. This year’s team is younger, smaller from up front and I have a feeling that it would perform better in a bigger European rink. This year's team has better puck skills, but in other aspects of the game it might not be as strong. Nevertheless it’ll be interesting to see so many promising players in a same team, many of them could be future Olympic Lions.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
It's normal for Finnish fans to think that they have the best team. Russians think the same, as do Canadians and so on. This really is going to be a very talented Finnish team, unfrotunately for the Fins, this is the same year that the Russians will bring their most talented team in in years.

No, the Finnish way is to spam how sucky the team is and will probably drop from the tournament as early as possible, then troll the 10% that believe that the team can actually make in to the medals. After that if/when Finland gets in to the medals, jump in to the bandwagon.

Recipt for not needing to face dissapointment. Also remember to bet for the opposite team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad