GDT: Finland vs Sweden (U18 Semis)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This will be awesome! 50-50 IMO. I'm not sure if the match or the commentary will be more exciting.

I have no idea who wins but think it'll be a great match by 2 very good teams and 2 very passionate hockey nations.

If Sweden wins they can say they beat the Finn's TWICE in the same tourney to prove they are better!
If the Finn's win they can point to their Gold's and use this is proof they are more clutch.

Oh boy!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Finland is a pretty clear favorite but you never know what might happen, Finland vs Sweden games tend to be less about which team is better and more about which team comes into it with a better attitude.

• Haha
Reactions: Ippenator

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden is a pretty clear favorite but you never know what might happen, Finland vs Sweden games tend to be less about which team is better and more about which team comes into it with better attitude.

• Haha
Reactions: Keke and Ippenator

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
No but seriously I feel Sweden have a slightly better roster. More firepower, high end skill and offensive depth. Defence and goaltending is close (both teams are not very reliable). Sweden beat Finland by 4-3 both in the Hlinka bronze medal game and in the group stages so we have to be considered favorites. Don’t think we beat them again though. You rarely beat the same twice. Finland will be motivated and my gut feeling is bad.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
This game is a tight one that will come down to goaltending IMHO. But one thing I know for sure is that it's very hard to beat the same team twice in international tournies. Let's see what happens.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I also predict Kiviharju gets a goal. Was so close vs Canada. This time he ends up on the scoreboard.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Sweden is a favourite but I like our chances. For me its not a big disaster if we happen to lose this one. USA will kick the winners ass in the final anyway.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm feeling like Finland wins but I'll copy paste from another thread what worries me:

#1 Hugo Havelid - 90.91 save % - 2.35 goals against average
#6 Leinonen - 86.84 save % - 3.35 goals against average

An unlikely goalie swap could improve Finland's chances but I think that Finland can win the hard way too.

Reactions: illone84

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Vs Canada too was it 3 times that Leinonen was completely out of position and the net was empty but Finland managed to clear. Finland's in trouble if Sweden gets any sort of rebound or broken play in front of the net, Leinonen's move is to slide out of the net and leave it open instead of being big and covering as much as he can, so Sweden can score some empty net goals if they battle hard.

Reactions: illone84

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I'm feeling like Finland wins but I'll copy paste from another thread what worries me:

#1 Hugo Havelid - 90.91 save % - 2.35 goals against average
#6 Leinonen - 86.84 save % - 3.35 goals against average

An unlikely goalie swap could improve Finland's chances but I think that Finland can win the hard way too.
I don't like throwing the goalie under the bus, but his positioning makes me worry about our chances.

Reactions: Mestaruus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Perhaps it's an advantage for Finland that Finland had to play such a tough close game in the quarters, while Sweden essentially had a sleepwalking game without real effort required. Perhaps it'll be tough for Sweden to switch gears.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Very open game. Sweden was slightly better vs. Finland when they played each other a few days ago. On the other hand Joakim Kemell was to be honest quite horrible in that game (possibly because of his illness). Goaltending was not impressive either.

Sweden's PK is mediocre and the defensemen have a hard time handling any type of forecheck. The game vs. Germany was the first time they weren't really tested in the tournament and they did okay. In the round robin games D was pretty bad to be honest.

On the plus side for Sweden, they have one heck of a top line... which is looking better for each game. And the most offensively gifted defenseman in the tournament in Hävelid.

Predicting SWE vs. FIN games is always difficult. Doesn't matter if one of the teams have a superior roster on paper. It won't be 8-0 Sweden like in the bronze game last year, for sure.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Lekkerimäki is an interesting player and has shown to be able to compete among men in SHL. He has Finnish roots aswell right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad