WC: Finland Roster 2024 U18 World Championship

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
when i look at that current WC camp roster... scary, nervous laughter with a shake and oy vey...

if we can't get any NHL/AHL guys, or not even the minimum from NA, which i think would be, 7 forwards and 3 d-men
no medal for us, its gonna look how team Sweden did at that one time... barely escaping the relegation fight...

bleak, bleak i tell ya
The difference is that thet had a clueless, inexperienced coach who as a player was known for bullying and seems to continue it as a coach.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
why in earth would we pick those shitty players? and if Jalonen picks those? i'm thinking both Jalonen and Lehtinen has lost
it and my image of both, especially Jalonen, is going down a notch or two....

also, lets wait the first NHL (and AHL) play-offs round before naming the team.. for once.. for crying out loud, now there's a huge chance for that,
because this year, the WC starts a bit later what previous years.

Who would you realistically pick then? It's not like we have that many defensive defenseman in NHL/AHL either.

Also do you even watch games? Seems like you are basing everything on stats on Eliteprospects. For example you call Mattila and Vittasmäki shitty while they both are playing on a level that none of our AHL guys have even been close of while they played in Liiga. If you honestly think someone like Ottavainen is a better player then wow..

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Surely, one can pick a team with 3 scoring line and 1 defensive line WC roster from these players
(or 2 x 2) and offensive/defensive d-pairs

why pick from Europe??? well one answer would be, Jukka Jalonen is a huge coward, probably biggest
reason why he is still a coach in Europe and rumors say he is going to Switzerland next... :(
Out of the AHLers only Merelä, Pärssinen and Heinola are kinds exciting. Matinpalo would be a nice add.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
After having lots of WC rookies in 2019 and 2021 there was a total of eight in 2022 and 2023 together - and that included one NHL player (Armia) and three others you can't call young players anymore (Friman, Oksanen and 2022 3rd goalie Tuohimaa)

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Also without Ohtamaa. This pretty much leaves Rissanen as the only quality DFD. Mattila or Vittasmäki then?
I would imagine that Määttä joins the team, he has a contract and during this season in Detroit he had a quite sheltered role and during the season he mentioned to finnish press that he would hope to play more. I'd be very surprised if he declines.

Määttä(A) - Kaski
Rissanen - Rindell
Vittasmäki - Saarijärvi
Riikola - Latvala

Riikola, Mattila, Winberg and Latvala fighting for the last spots. I see Lehtonen declining since all the other double-gold medalist declined. Kemiläinen and Leskinen might be in the mix but i think Kemiläinen is too slow. Leskinen is LHD, so i think Rindell and Saarijärvi suit better.

I'm a bit surprised that Erholtz was cut so soon, 6 EHT games and 5 points but then again Jääskä had the same and he can play in the middle if it's necessary.

Innala - Suomela - Armia(A)
Luoto - Kapanen - Nurmi
Puistola - Hyry - Pajuniemi
Mäenalanen - Björninen(C) - Oksanen
Helenius, Jääskä

Goalies are probably locked now.
Säteri
Larmi
Lehtinen

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
Then it could be something like this.

Maccelli - Granlund - Armia
Innala - Suomela - Pajuniemi
Puistola - Kapanen - Hyry
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Oksanen

Bubblers:
Borgström, Lammikko, Kossila, Levtchi, Nurmi, Luoto, Suomi, Puljujarvi, Jääskä, Helenius.

Reactions: MatBarzal

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I see Lehtonen declining since all the other double-gold medalist declined.
FWIW, Lehtonen has featured on EHT this season, unlike the other guys who have seen it all. Of course, this is no guarantee of anything, but usually players who appear on EHT but decline a WC invitation do so because they feel gassed at the end of the season (like Ohtamaa did), not because they feel like they've seen it all. So I wouldn't chalk Lehtonen out until he says he's out.

Also, it's not exactly true that all of the double gold guys declined. Björninen is there.

Reactions: Keke and mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
FWIW, Lehtonen has featured on EHT this season, unlike the other guys who have seen it all. Of course, this is no guarantee of anything, but usually players who appear on EHT but decline a WC invitation do so because they feel gassed at the end of the season (like Ohtamaa did), not because they feel like they've seen it all. So I wouldn't chalk Lehtonen out until he says he's out.

Also, it's not exactly true that all of the double gold guys declined. Björninen is there.
Lehtonen would be brilliant. So safe defensively and a great add offensively.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Everett Slivertips lost game 4 vs Portland Winterhawks in WHL playoffs last night.
Julius Miettinen is available for U18 WJC's.

Maalivahdit:
Kerkola Patrik, KalPa Kuopio
Rimpinen Petteri, K-Espoo
Saarinen Kim, HPK Hämeenlinna

Puolustajat:
Amhamdi Onni, Pelicans Lahti
Jokinen Mitja, TPS Turku
Kiviharju Aron, HIFK Helsinki
Mononen Veikka, KalPa Kuopio
Nieminen Daniel, Pelicans Lahti
Nykyri Niklas, HIFK Helsinki
Väisänen Veeti, KooKoo Kouvola

Hyökkääjät:
Helenius Konsta, Jukurit Mikkeli
Hemming Emil, TPS Turku
Kettunen Anton, Pelicans Lahti
Koivu Aatos, TPS Turku
Loponen Markus, Kärpät Oulu
Pietilä Benjamin, Kärpät Oulu
Pikkarainen Kasper, TPS Turku
Ruohonen Heikki, K-Espoo
Saarelainen Joona, KalPa Kuopio
Sinivuori Lauri, HIFK Helsinki
Suoniemi Tuomas, K-Espoo
Teshome Natan, Jokerit Helsinki
Vesterinen Roope, HPK Hämeenlinna
Väärälä Ville, Tappara Tampere

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009

Granlund confirmed to join. Puljujärvi given an EHT try-out.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
All/most/many etc, i didn't mean it literally. I just get a feeling that Lehtonen will be gassed out or "gassed out". Since there is many declines in the air.
One thing Jalonen should be looking to add to the roster is puck-moving d-men. Right now, the only ones on the camp who fit the bill are Kaski and Saarijärvi. The lack of this player type was glaring last year - Lehtonen was basically all we had. Although, last year it was largely bad luck, as Vatanen and Saarijärvi were onboard, but both got injured shortly before the tournament began. And Kemiläinen was in the preliminary squad too, but he ended up being, well, really awful and forced Jalonen to cut him.

So, if Jalonen is satisfied with just Kaski and Saarijärvi, he has learnt nothing from last year. And besides Lehtonen, who is still out there stuck with his day job? Kemiläinen, maybe. Leskinen? Ehh... maybe. Juolevi? Would be a surprise.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
One thing Jalonen should be looking to add to the roster is puck-moving d-men. Right now, the only ones on the camp who fit the bill are Kaski and Saarijärvi. The lack of this player type was glaring last year - Lehtonen was basically all we had. Although, last year it was largely bad luck, as Vatanen and Saarijärvi were onboard, but both got injured shortly before the tournament began. And Kemiläinen was in the preliminary squad too, but he ended up being, well, really awful and forced Jalonen to cut him.

So, if Jalonen is satisfied with just Kaski and Saarijärvi, he has learnt nothing from last year. And besides Lehtonen, who is still out there stuck with his day job? Kemiläinen, maybe. Leskinen? Ehh... maybe. Juolevi? Would be a surprise.
Juolevi needs a baby sitter. Maybe that is why Rissanen is still on the team though..

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Jesse Bustjärvi ain't good enough.
We don't need those bums anyway. Let them enjoy their NHL millions.

Let's just send team Tappara and win the Ŝkoda cup 5th time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad