WC: Finland 2024 roster talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
One thing they could have done is wait and see if Carolina goes down 3-0 tonight. If they do, keep a spot open. If they don't, lock down the team.

Although, it might be that they already know that Aho would be a no-show no matter what. If so, this is the right move.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
One thing they could have done is wait and see if Carolina goes down 3-0 tonight. If they do, keep a spot open. If they don't, lock down the team.

Although, it might be that they already know that Aho would be a no-show no matter what. If so, this is the right move.
Big mistake this unless Aho already has declined

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I don't think the likes of Aho, Teräväinen, Heiskanen or Hintz would even have too much interest in this Škoda Cup after a super long season in the NHL.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I mean I don't like it either but to me it does make sense. Mostly it was what I expected and tbf, now we can actually see Helenius play because Jalonen said he will get time on the lineup.

I rather see Aho than Helenius though, but you agree on that so yeah. It is what it is.

Indeed, that's what I hope was the reason behind it, but we'll most likely never know. Perhaps Aho is indeed playing with a small injury. In Aho's case I'd actually believe that, so I wouldn't assume it's an excuse, because of the forwards of Carolina he does play the biggest minutes, so that surely increases the chance of him having an injury.

It is a bit frustrating that we most likely won't ever know what happened, but on the other hand, Carolina isn't out yet. It'll feel much better if Carolina goes to 3-1 or 3-2.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maybe Jalonen knows that no star player actually wants to play for his team. Finland has turned into the team with by far the most international team decliners. It used to be that we would laugh at Sweden for how little nationalism their star players have, but in the recent years, Sweden's star players have been far more eager to play in the world championships than Finland's.

Currently, Finland's star player participation is on the level of teams like USA and Canada. Or at least I say that, but if I just look at their rosters, we can see that both teams have far more star power than Finland would hope to have. Even Switzerland's roster is far more impressive. And Slovakia's.

Finland might be competitive with Germany, at least.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
OT, but let's see next year if Pennanen builds his team with some of our AHLers if available. We have plenty of them and he is familiar with most of them.

Funny is that Jalonens first few Skoda Cup Teams always had AHL players.

In 2009 for example Ville Koistinen and Anssi Salmela were very much AHL players with the odd NHL game behind them.

Reactions: illone84

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Maybe Jalonen knows that no star player actually wants to play for his team. Finland has turned into the team with by far the most international team decliners. It used to be that we would laugh at Sweden for how little nationalism their star players have, but in the recent years, Sweden's star players have been far more eager to play in the world championships than Finland's.

Currently, Finland's star player participation is on the level of teams like USA and Canada. Or at least I say that, but if I just look at their rosters, we can see that both teams have far more star power than Finland would hope to have. Even Switzerland's roster is far more impressive. And Slovakia's.

Finland might be competitive with Germany, at least.
Not much we can do when our best players carry their teams far into the NHL playoffs. It's literally the same few guys every year saying no and we were unlucky this year with injuries and other family/health matters. Or contract.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not much we can do when our best players carry their teams far into the NHL playoffs. It's literally the same few guys every year saying no and we were unlucky this year with injuries and other family/health matters. Or contract.
But it's not just this isolated incident and many other countries have their players go out of their way to join the world championships whereas Finland seems to have very few players eager to do so and who oftentimes use any excuse they can to decline.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Vatanen declined because he wanted to play golf instead :D It's a strange trend, Finnish players don't actually care about this tournament anymore, and many of the other teams players seem to have much increased interest.

But i'd argue that publics interest is also lesser now, i remember times when this tournament was just one big festival in Finland, when YLE broadcasted it. People still watch it but it isn't as big as before.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Vatanen declined because he wanted to play golf instead :D It's a strange trend, Finnish players don't actually care about this tournament anymore, and many of the other teams players seem to have much increased interest.

But i'd argue that publics interest is also lesser now, i remember times when this tournament was just one big festival in Finland, when YLE broadcasted it. People still watch it but it isn't as big as before.
the stomach is full from enough wins in recent years so one more feels meaningless.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
All four of Finland's gold medals have been with no-name teams. You could say the first one in 1995 was not truly a no-name team as many of the players went on to have good or even great NHL careers (Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen, Janne Niinimaa, Ville Peltonen, Sami Kapanen) But the same could be said now - who knows if many of the young no-name players will be HHOF players in the future.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Why does Sweden get more NHLers at the WHC than we do?

This season, 48 Finns got at least one NHL game. For Sweden, the figure was 101. Sweden also has roughly double the amount of established NHLers over us. It gets even more narrow if we leave the bubble players out of the figure. Out of those 48 Finns, 33 got a minimum of 30 games. For Sweden the same figure is 67.

In a best-on-best tournament, these figures are not so important, because all countries can only pick 25 players, and our top-shelf selection can rival that of the other top countries. In this spring carnival, however, those figures make a world of difference in player availability. Out of Sweden's mass, some will always be eliminated from the playoffs. To add insult to injury, our NHLers happen to be much more tightly grouped together. Out of the 33, 14 play in either Carolina, Florida, Dallas or Colorado. In fact, there were only two Finnish non-bubble players available this year who didn't cite one of the obvious reasons - injury or out of contract - Saros and Armia.

All of this also means that for Sweden, the competition for spots on best-on-best teams is much tougher. This adds the incentive of players joining when they can - gotta impress the coach. Our next best-on-best team could well be the best one on paper we've ever iced, but that team still very much builds itself. When Pennanen announces his selection for the four-team tournament around next Christmas, most of us can already list the names of 2 goalies, 6 d-men and 10 forwards it'll feature, barring injuries of course. And the names of the remaining players is largely cosmetics.

Okay, that's it for Sweden. But this doesn't explain the situation for countries with fewer NHLers than us, such as Czechia, Slovakia and Switzerland. At-least-one-game-in-the-NHL figures for them are 32, 10 and 10, respectively.

Here the difference could be that unlike NHLers, we have a very deep pool of quality Euro players to pick from. For these countries, the pickings in that regard are much slimmer. So these few NHLers are acutely aware that they are very much the difference-makers between their team being a step behind the elite and a medal contender. Ours? Well, everything they've seen tells them otherwise. And while I find it a frivolous thought that our top shelf NHLers find Jukka Jalonen disagreeable (might have been true in 2010, but hardly onwards), he has arguably been a big contributing factor to this.

And that's the story. We are in an unlucky spot: not that many NHLers so that a decent selection of them will be regularly available, and those that are do have a double-whammy reason to not see the annual WHC as that important - no need to compete for spots at upcoming best-on-bests, and nothing tells them they are necessary pieces when history is being written.

Reactions: FinPanda

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
His dad is the GM of Timra and it seems the Habs are fine with him playing in the SHL for a year before coming over.
Yeah and I get it. Sometimes this road is better. For example Artturi Lehkonen took few years in stronger league. You do not need to be just drafted to sign NHL contract.

Reactions: illone84

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lines in practice:

Granlund - Helenius - Puustinen
Oksanen - Kapanen - Puljujärvi
Innala - Hyry - Jormakka
Jääskä - Björninen - Pakarinen

D pairs the same.

PP1: Oksanen - Granlund - Innala - Pakarinen - Lehtonen

PP2: Puustinen - Helenius - Jormakka - Puljujärvi - Kaski

Also, Mäenalanen's tournament is not over, but he's resting the next game as a precaution.

It was expected that Jalonen will make room for Helenius, but somewhat unexpected how much he shook up the lineup otherwise. Putting that flexibility to use right away. It's especially funny considering how gosh darn conservative he was a year ago. If there's one thing that arched my eyebrows, it's booting Kapanen from the PP units altogether. And Puistola completely out of the lineup. Although, with so many games to go, there will likely be more rotation.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Lines in practice:

Granlund - Helenius - Puustinen
Oksanen - Kapanen - Puljujärvi
Innala - Hyry - Jormakka
Jääskä - Björninen - Pakarinen

D pairs the same.

PP1: Oksanen - Granlund - Innala - Pakarinen - Lehtonen

PP2: Puustinen - Helenius - Jormakka - Puljujärvi - Kaski

Also, Mäenalanen's tournament is not over, but he's resting the next game as a precaution.

It was expected that Jalonen will make room for Helenius, but somewhat unexpected how much he shook up the lineup otherwise. Putting that flexibility to use right away. It's especially funny considering how gosh darn conservative he was a year ago. If there's one thing that arched my eyebrows, it's booting Kapanen from the PP units altogether. And Puistola completely out of the lineup. Although, with so many games to go, there will likely be more rotation.

The young centers method. Risky business if it stays like this until the deciding games. The three next games aren't that high level opponents and could make some lines and players look better than they really are and then we could be in trouble vs real teams later. Then it gets ackward changing the lines so late in the tournament.

But hopefully Jalonen will make a miracle once again. Just have to avoid being 4th in the group, because that means Sweden in the QF. Sweden basically already won that group yesterday when they beat not so surprisingly the only real top country in their group, USA. If I'd bet, I'd bet that the battle between 3rd and 4th place in the group will be between Finland and Switzerland, because Canada's roster looks pretty good. I'd say we beat Switzerland in depth and coaching and they beat us with their top players, so it's not far from a coin toss game on who wins.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I have a bad feeling about these games....

After seeing all of the teams play so far... we look/played, 2nd worst hockey..
only,.. i think France was worse... maybe Austria as well

I only see us beating GB and Austria...
One thing about GB though, if our defense sleeps, GB can hurt us,
they have 2-3 good goal scorers.

After the 1st game, i don't see us finish top 4 in group a..
i hope we could improve our game, that roster is pretty bad though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad