Finish the Rebuild

The Fuhr*

I think the Sens best course if action is to take the year to finish the rebuild.

Look at the pieces on this club under 25 years of age

Turris 24, Hoffman 24, Zibanejad 21, Stone 21, Pageu 21,

Karlsson 23, Cowen 23, Wiercioch 22, Ceci 20

Lehner 22
---

Then down on Bingo you have a team poised to take another Calder Cup run with good prospects like Puempel, Prince, Dzingel, Classien, and Robinson... Guys 22 or younger that could all be NHL players
Have two older 23 year olds too that should be looked at in the NHL Schneider (69GP 54Pts) and defenseman Wideman (73GP 51Pts) may both have NHL potential.

Then there is other talent such as Lazar, Lindberg, Wikstrad, and Driedger poised to join Bingo/Ottawa in the next year or two

So why not take the year and see what the system has?

I'd like to extend MacArthur (5.0 per) but other then him could probably get 8-12 good young pieces (prospects/picks) for Anderson, Spezza, Ryan and Methot.

The team saves 20-25 million dollars a season not being tied into those four... Can systematically use that budget to target players the team can fit in long term... The farm system will be loaded.

And should the team struggle in 2014/15 then they will be rewarded with a top pick in an elite top end draft class.

The worst case to this plan is ending up with a Tavares/Stamkos/ Mackinnon type talent at the 2015 draft

How terrible

Last edited by a moderator:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think the Sens best course if action is to take the year to finish the rebuild.

Lehner 22
---

Then down on Bingo you have a team poised to take another Calder Cup run with good prospects like Puempel, Prince, Dzingel, Classien, and Robinson... Guys 22 or younger that could all be NHL players
Have two older 23 year olds too that should be looked at in the NHL Schneider (69GP 54Pts) and defenseman Wideman (73GP 51Pts) may both have NHL potential.

Then there is other talent such as Lazar, Lindberg, Wikstrad, and Driedger poised to join Bingo/Ottawa in the next year or two

I'd like to extend MacArthur (5.0 per) but other then him could probably get 8-12 good young pieces (prospects/picks) for Anderson, Spezza, Ryan and Methot.

The team saves 20-25 million dollars a season not being tied into those four... Can systematically use that budget to target players the team can fit in long term... The farm system will be loaded.

And should the team struggle in 2014/15 then they will be rewarded with a top pick in an elite top end draft class.

The worst case to this plan is ending up with a Tavares/Stamkos/ Mackinnon type talent at the 2015 draft

How terrible

So you get rid of a sure thing like Ryan to hopefully draft a guy who will be as good or a little better than Ryan in 4-5 years????
What about getting to the cap floor next year? What players are you going to target who fit in long term as you put it? You know most FA's are in their 30's; how do they fit in with a team of prospects?
As for the Sens core you have one great player in Karlsson and one very good player in Turris. The rest are varying degrees of potential. Did you ever think maybe Karlsson won't want to be part of a rebuild and ask for a trade??? How do you replace him???

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Lehner 22
---

How terrible

I sort of agree with this, but I don't see a point in moving Ryan/Methot as I see them as key pieces when we start to compete. My initial worry when our rebuild was announced in 2011 was that the rebuild would be rushed with Melnyk/Murray having a well known desire to compete ASAP, resulting in mediocrity coming out of the rebuild. I definitely felt year 3 was rushed and expectations were raised based on a fluke lockout shortened season. We essentially turned our rebuild into a 2 year rebuild instead of 3, without ever drafting in the top 5. I still like our pool and some of the pieces we have, but I'm not sure if we're poised to be a top team any time soon unless Murray can pull off some nice trades/ufa signings or some prospects take major steps forward. A potential Spezza trade will influence the direction of this club greatly, I hope Murray hits a home run if that's the route he takes. Just my 2 cents.

(Random side note, Phillips has no business playing hockey next year, that spot should be in competition between Wideman/Borowiecki/Claesson)

The Fuhr*

I could go either way with Ryan... I'm not really a big fan of his skating and defense if he's going to make 7-8 a season

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Of that group I would hang on to Methot & Ryan if I could sign them to reasonable deals. Would move Phillips to make room for youth.

Need some established players or you end up like Edmonton.

The Fuhr*

So you get rid of a sure thing like Ryan to hopefully draft a guy who will be as good or a little better than Ryan in 4-5 years????
What about getting to the cap floor next year? What players are you going to target who fit in long term as you put it? You know most FA's are in their 30's; how do they fit in with a team of prospects?
As for the Sens core you have one great player in Karlsson and one very good player in Turris. The rest are varying degrees of potential. Did you ever think maybe Karlsson won't want to be part of a rebuild and ask for a trade??? How do you replace him???

Hitting the cap floor is easy... Overpay one year vets if need be

- Id target strong two-way players like MacArthur... Rome was not built in a day... I'm sure over the next three years I'd be able to find players that fit via UFA or Trade

- UFAs in there 30's fit in perfect with a team of youth... They set the example... Adding guys like MaCathur to set the example is a perfect fit... Sprinkle 2-3 more vets into the forward group like him and I'm more then happy with leadership.

- Karlsson is signed for five more years... Sens own him and if this team is contending for a cup by year four them I'm sure he will sign an extension

The Fuhr*

Colorado Avalanche

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 54

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I could go either way with Ryan... I'm not really a big fan of his skating and defense if he's going to make 7-8 a season

I'm not a fan if Ryan makes that either, he deserves 6m right on. Anything over that is overpayment IMO. Guys like Sedin/Zetterberg make 6m.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I'm ok with this, as long as we retain Ryan and MacArthur.

Give the young guys a chance, and if they falter, draft McDavid.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Puempel-Smith-Lazar
Grant-Pageau-Neil

Cowen-Karlsson
Gryba-Weircioch
Borocop-Ceci

And that's not including any of the returns from Spezza, Methot, Anderson.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is the Sens we're talking about. Only time we get a high draft pick is during a crappy year...and then lose out on the lottery and get bumped down.

If we did the tanking this this season and traded away Spezza and Ryan, chances are the guys will go into Pesky mode again and we'll end up drafting 15th.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
This is the Sens we're talking about. Only time we get a high draft pick is during a crappy year...and then lose out on the lottery and get bumped down.

If we did the tanking this this season and traded away Spezza and Ryan, chances are the guys will go into Pesky mode again and we'll end up drafting 15th.

I'd still take Mika over Strome, Larson, Schiefele, Couturier.

In fact, if Jersey hadn't won, we would have had that **** Strome.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Although I've been a advocate towards keeping Spezza, if there was any year to move him it would be this year.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'd still take Mika over Strome, Larson, Schiefele, Couturier.

In fact, if Jersey hadn't won, we would have had that **** Strome.

I'd take Landeskog over Mika, we were in that range until we went on a winning streak.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What I'm saying is, if there's a way for things to go wrong in any way, shape or form, it will.

Things never seem to work out for the Sens. It's like we're cursed.

The Fuhr*

You say that scenario like its a bad thing... all that youth fighting till the very end for a playoff spot but coming up short would still be tremendous for that.

That means a lot of young players took nice steps in development... build off that adding more pieces... more development from those young players that took steps forward.

Use depth to move up at the draft if need be... there is absolutely no drawback for a rebuilding team to continue to rebuild

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Lehner 22
---

How terrible

Why not bring up the whole Bingo lineup? It is comical that you believe that there is so much talent down there that can compete and win and make the playoffs. And be veterans on and off the ice.

The worst case exists, it is called the Oilers. The best case hasn't proved anything yet, the Avalanche.

And of course you are banking on our fanbase watching crappy hockey for years. Sorry, wrong city.
:shakehead

The Fuhr*

Why not bring up the whole Bingo lineup? It is comical that you believe that there is so much talent down there that can compete and win and make the playoffs. And be veterans on and off the ice.

The worst case exists, it is called the Oilers. The best case hasn't proved anything yet, the Avalanche.

And of course you are banking on our fanbase watching crappy hockey for years. Sorry, wrong city.
:shakehead

Check the age out of this cup winning roster
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000402012.html

The idea that you need a bunch of oldies to win is comical... only need a couple

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You say that scenario like its a bad thing... all that youth fighting till the very end for a playoff spot but coming up short would still be tremendous for that.

That means a lot of young players took nice steps in development... build off that adding more pieces... more development from those young players that took steps forward.

Use depth to move up at the draft if need be... there is absolutely no drawback for a rebuilding team to continue to rebuild

Oh, it would be definitely fun to watch...if my heart could hold out for a full season. Half a season of Pesky Sens nearly killed me.

I just don't feel like any of the kids we have right now (Karlsson excluded) have any really elite qualities. The kids are great support and role players, but the only place you get the elite talent (most of the time) are in those top 5 picks. I doubt even in a tank we'd get there...the kids we have are good enough not to suck that badly. Spezza is a really frustrating guy, and Ryan is inconsistent (how much that was injury related is yet to be seen), but they have that elite talent we otherwise lack.

I just don't know what to do with this team. Watching the playoffs our group is light years (and a few talented players) away from really competing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just don't feel like any of the kids we have right now (Karlsson excluded) have any really elite qualities. The kids are great support and role players, but the only place you get the elite talent (most of the time) are in those top 5 picks. I doubt even in a tank we'd get there...the kids we have are good enough not to suck that badly. Spezza is a really frustrating guy, and Ryan is inconsistent (how much that was injury related is yet to be seen), but they have that elite talent we otherwise lack.

I just don't know what to do with this team. Watching the playoffs our group is light years (and a few talented players) away from really competing.

I hear what you are saying, but when I look at Boston, I see Bergeron, Chara and Rask.

We've got Turris, Karlsson and Lehner.

Everything else is done by committee.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Check the age out of this cup winning roster
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000402012.html

The idea that you need a bunch of oldies to win is comical... only need a couple

What have they done since? Zip and about to get swept. There are so many variables at play. Coaches, injuries, puck luck, bad bounces, missed calls, bad mathcups, etc...youth does not equate automatically to winning or else the Oilers, Panthers and Islanders would be dynasties.

My goodness, you want to get rid of Ryan, Methot, these guys are young, impact players, you don't make sense.

The Fuhr*

What have they done since? Zip and about to get swept. There are so many variables at play. Coaches, injuries, puck luck, bad bounces, missed calls, bad mathcups, etc...youth does not equate automatically to winning or else the Oilers, Panthers and Islanders would be dynasties.

My goodness, you want to get rid of Ryan, Methot, these guys are young, impact players, you don't make sense.

Those players are going to walk a year from now because the Sens don't have money.

If the Sens are struggiling at 55 million, how they going to afford 65?

If you go young then can hopefully sign players to Turris type extensions and keep the budget down while competing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad