Finals Refs and Linesman

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
NHL Referees and Linesmen for 2018 Stanley Cup Final

Refs: Marc Joannette, Wes McCauley, Chris Rooney, and Kelly Sutherland

Out from Conference Final: Gord Dwyer, Eric Furlatt, Brad Meier, and Dan O’Halloran
All four referees have worked a Stanley Cup Final before: Joannette (2008), McCauley (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), Rooney (2012, 2013), Sutherland (2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017)
This is the first Stanley Cup Final in nine years without referee Dan O’Halloran. O’Halloran’s last final miss came in 2009, when he made it as far as the Conference Final after working the Cup Final in 2007 and 2008. Meier is also sidelined after working the 2017 Cup Final.

Linesman: Derek Amell, Greg Devorski, Matt MacPherson, and Jonny Murray

Out from Conference Final: Scott Cherrey, Michel Cormier, Ryan Gibbons, and Brian Murphy
Veteran linesmen Amell (2009, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), Devorski (2010), and Murray (2012) have all made previous trips to the Final.
MacPherson is making his first appearance in the Stanley Cup Final. In his seventh season, MacPherson has worked nearly 500 regular season games and over 40 playoff games.
“Hockey players have the same dream of making it to the NHL Finals and officials are no different, I’m sure. We’ve talked to Matt and he’s just thrilled to be where he’s at,” says Shaun Smith, a friend of MacPherson’s, as reported by CTV. McPherson will be the lone representative of the Maritimes, as Vegas and Washington have no players from the provinces.
Veteran Brian Murphy is out after having worked the last three Cup Finals.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
"This is the first Stanley Cup Final in nine years without referee Dan O’Halloran"

Good... the guy is trash.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"This is the first Stanley Cup Final in nine years without referee Dan O’Halloran"

Good... the guy is trash.
O’Halloran is one of the worst.

Pretty happy with the selections.

This is a bit surprising. I don't particularly like ANY of the refs today, as I think they're all incompetent. But O'Halloran seemed to me to be the least offensive of the bunch.

I think Wes McCauley is overrated. Everyone seems to think he's great, but he has a tendency to let obvious stuff go only to then randomly call some stupid minor thing halfway through the game.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'm surprised Pierre Racicot didn't make it to the conference finals. I don't get the O'Halloran hate. I also personally think the officials tend to do a pretty good job, their actual job being to call the games the way the league tells them to call the games.

Derek Amell is always funny to me as well because of how loud his calls can be. He could be lining a game in Boston and I attribute random shouts off in the distance to his close line calls when I'm not even watching on TV.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
This is a bit surprising. I don't particularly like ANY of the refs today, as I think they're all incompetent. But O'Halloran seemed to me to be the least offensive of the bunch.

I think Wes McCauley is overrated. Everyone seems to think he's great, but he has a tendency to let obvious stuff go only to then randomly call some stupid minor thing halfway through the game.

I am not surprised you feel that way about O’Halloran as a Pens fan.

If refs are biased against certain teams, i’d say Steve Kozari, FSL, and Dan O’Halloran are biased against the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad