GDT: Finally Hockey is Back - Caps vs Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
What happened to the offensive game from the start of the season? It's like looking at two totally different teams right now.

Lavi's bullshit system hasn't sunk into the players' heads yet so they were just out their playing hockey.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I still can’t get over how badly Backstrom played that second goal, just before the two on one.

There have been two watershed moments this season where things just collapsed. One was Backstrom’s return. The second has been this trade.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We call them stupid but they just show up, aimlessly skate around and cash their checks. It's paying fans that are suckers.

I don't really know what all MacLellan does as a day-to-day manager. It doesn't seem like much of anything based on results. All of MacLellan, Laviolette and the core appear to be losing their fastball. So it goes. If they get swept or something they can't really just run it back. Business has to kick in at some level to send a message that their approach has been unacceptable. It's going to take much more than trading Eller, letting Schultz walk and doing something different in net. There's an identity/talent/cohesiveness problem that may not be an easy fix. Not to say they should rebuild, in part because it would be useless to do so with Laviolette still employed, but they're going to need to re-evaluate a lot should they continue to stumble along finishing the season out.

Larsson looked slow and ineffective. Another likely L there unless he can quickly find his form in what may be unfavorable conditions. I could see AJF taking his place next game if they want to re-think his readiness.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Too many passengers to sit them all, but you gotta at least sit Mojo in favor of McMichael. I’d give Larsson another game or two before sitting him as he is just coming back from injury and on a new team. mojo has had his chances for sure. Sit his ass!

Jun 15, 2007
How many "burn the tape and move on" games are you allowed to have in one season?

Reactions: Langway

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Paid good money to watch the home team's "don't give a shit" performance tonight.
Lavi is not the answer. If he ever was, I think the league has passed him by.
Question is, whether missing the playoffs or losing in the first round after at most one single victory will change 1) who sits in the GM chair 2) who stands behind the bench and 3) who skates in the top 6 forwards and top 4 d. I'm guessing that it'll take a fold in the manner of the '64 Phillies for Ted and Dick to decide that the team needs a new GM &/or HC and that some of those top 6F/4D need to be out of the home team locker room. If they make the playoffs, I don't expect much to change regardless of how quickly they hit the links.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Championship? Pffft. The only ‘ship I care about is friendship! And you know what? These guys are a tightly knit group of friends. That makes them winners in my book!

It was a shameful display by the fans booing the team off the ice. Camaraderie like that is worth the price of admission alone.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Capital One Arena had a little bit of a FedEx Field vibe to it tonight. Seemed like a lot of visiting fans in the stands, a decent number of empty seats, and no real home-ice advantage.

There have been a lot of nights like that this year.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Should be an interesting off-season if things go the way we think it will.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'll say it again. This is a road team and the road is it's only hope. Too much laid back and country club at home. Glad they will be on the road in Florida.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The cul-de-sac the Caps are in is the consequence of Ted affirming again this year that the core purpose of the organization is to help Ovie score goals and break the record. That misshapen focus produces in a team that has no real identity and plays with sporadic bits of cohesion. And it stems from a complacent organization that simply allows gaping holes to go unaddressed because it doesn't value actual playoff success the way other organizations do. As a result
* Nothing is done about the Caps glaring lack of NHL-goaltending, a massive hole that has been obvious since Thanksgiving and has been evident since last year. Both Sammy and VV have huge flaws in their game and both (in different ways) are head cases, but zilch has been done about it;
* The organization does little to nothing about the team's inability to play with pace and efforts to play an up-tempo 5-man game have, at best, episodic bits of success;
* There is a stunning lack of creativity, innovation and adaptiveness - most glaringly exposed by the stale power play but evident by an overall inability to evolve in the manner the game is evolving.
* BMac was hired supposedly because he was willing to tell Ted inconvenient truths, about what was not happening with his team. But he seems to have become trapped by the limits of Ted's vision and unable to do the sort of upending that's needed to make the Caps competitive with upper-tier NHL organizations.

This isn't on Ovie. It's on Ted and the front office - they've been on the Ovie-scores-goals-and-that's-what-matters-most for a long time, and that train now seems to have wondered off any plausible path to playoff success. Their approach to the game actually disserves Ovie, and it certainly makes for some hard-to-watch hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad