Final Top 50 Ranking of OHL Players Eligible for the 2021 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Scouting this year's OHL crop for the NHL draft has been...different. No Ontario Hockey League games this year which means the scouting community has had to get creative. Without question the most difficult thing about evaluating players from Ontario this year has been weighing the different circumstances and leagues against each other. We have some players who went overseas to play in various different leagues. We have some players who played at the U18's, (helping Canada win Gold). We have some players who played at the PBHH Invitational in Erie. We have some players who did not play at all. The one thing that all of these players do have in common is that scouts had to go back and look at their U17 seasons. And even that was a challenge, given some players saw 6 minutes of ice time a night on deep rosters. Needless to say, I hope I never have to scout a draft crop like this ever again.

One thing that I will not be doing this year is my annual re-entry article. Just not enough of these players, previously passed over, have had the chance to truly show progression. As per usual, I will also not be including them in my Top 50 rankings. Obviously guys like Ethan Cardwell or James Hardie have a chance to be drafted this time around (and should have been drafted in 2020), but if you are searching for information on them, you can simply consult my final 2020 rankings.

One thing you will notice is that I have included some Import players...and omitted others. Here was how I drew the line on who to include and who not to include. If they played in the league last year (like Chanton) and had intended to return, they were included. Additionally, if they signed and committed to the league, but they did not play elsewhere (like Grushnikov or Sobolev), I included them (out of fairness to them). However, if they had not played in the league yet and played elsewhere this year (like Kuzmin, Kolosov or Petrov), they were not included.

Lastly, as I always state, this ranking is meant to serve as my own list or ranking if I were drafting for an NHL club. It is not a prediction of where I think these players will get drafted. If I did that, the list would look different. If you want a draft projection and a better overall picture of the 2021 NHL Draft crop, be sure to subscribe to McKeen's Hockey and pick up our draft guide, (which I have a large hand in).

Here is the Top 10:
1. Brandt Clarke
2. Mason McTavish
3. Brennan Othmann
4. Francesco Pinelli
5. Ben Gaudreau
6. Chase Stillman
7. Ethan Del Mastro
8. Ryan Winterton
9. Wyatt Johnston
10. Daniil Chakya

Here are the four parts:

1 - HM's - OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Part 1: Honorable Mentions

2- 50-31 - OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Part 2: 50-31

3 - 30-11 - OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

4 - Top 10 - OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

As always, happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I admit my bias, but Deni Goure is severly under rated. He was one 10th among rookie scorers and the best Attack rooke since Dudas (hes more complete then Dudas). Im surprised to see players with half his production ahead of him. Im a fan of what guys like Cam Charron did when they did the Dave Nonis vs the Potato entry, which was one of the things that got him hired in Toronto, that seems like this here.

Deni may not be 'flashy' per say as some others, but he gets way more done.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I admit my bias, but Deni Goure is severly under rated. He was one 10th among rookie scorers and the best Attack rooke since Dudas (hes more complete then Dudas). Im surprised to see players with half his production ahead of him. Im a fan of what guys like Cam Charron did when they did the Dave Nonis vs the Potato entry, which was one of the things that got him hired in Toronto, that seems like this here.

Deni may not be 'flashy' per say as some others, but he gets way more done.

He does get more done, but at the OHL level. Going off of only his U16 season (and a couple games in Erie), his lack of physical tools makes it difficult to project him as an NHL player. At least IMO. I know Corey Pronman at the Athletic is a big fan, but I think the lack of the OHL season hurts kids like Goure the most. Is a kid like Nick DeGrazia a better player? No. But he has a true standout quality (his skating) that makes it easy to see him becoming an NHL player in some capacity with the right development. Meanwhile, someone like Goure, who is well rounded and not blessed with high end speed or other physical characteristics, is harder to project.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
He does get more done, but at the OHL level. Going off of only his U16 season (and a couple games in Erie), his lack of physical tools makes it difficult to project him as an NHL player. At least IMO. I know Corey Pronman at the Athletic is a big fan, but I think the lack of the OHL season hurts kids like Goure the most. Is a kid like Nick DeGrazia a better player? No. But he has a true standout quality (his skating) that makes it easy to see him becoming an NHL player in some capacity with the right development. Meanwhile, someone like Goure, who is well rounded and not blessed with high end speed or other physical characteristics, is harder to project.

Thanks for the relpy,

As I stated, I think that there is alot of evidence that scouts do tend to over think it and not put enough into what players actually do, not necessaely tools (The Cam Charron Project, just take players who produce and youll probably end up fine), but we all see the game differently.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Unfortunately Goure didn’t ‘produce’ at PBHH and looked less developed relative to the competition. Not what you would expect for a first rounder gunning to impress.

NHL teams have good reason to pause and reflect.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

I think biased opinions on who will be picked is something this year's draft will likely throw out the window. There are definitely higher profile names than Deni Goure in this draft and that are more favorable to get picked in the higer rounds then Goure but let's not count on the simple fact the players had limited to no games played for the past 2 years due to a global pandemic.

That will likely play a massive factor in who is picked in the draft. As you mentioned the lack of a season hurts but Goure isn't the only prospect who this hurts.

There's the players like Goure who should be in the prime of his OHL stint, theres players who should be developed for big steps into 2nd years in the OHL, there are players who have moved on who lost their chances to have one last kick at the NHL draft.

We will see how these young prospects shake out when they do get back to the ice this fall. Players will be older and more mature and if NHL teams take into consideration that these kids didn't have a traditional junior careers then the best players will get selected no matter where they are in the NA Rankings. We may see teams take flyers on guys this time around do to the fact they had limited viewings then they normally would in a typical few seasons.

Using the obvious assumption that age equals likely better results a player like Deni Goure at 18 who was a 1st round OHL pick would yield a beer likelihood then a player who was picked in a later round in the same draft in the junior ranks.

Lots of guess work this year for the NHL teams.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Except there were players at PBHH that were the same age as Goure, played the same or fewer games, yet they significantly outplayed him.

Scouting is a lot about relative comparison, and while it's interesting that Goure was a first round pick in the 2019 draft, scouts are more interested in where he is on a relative basis now and how he projects at the next level.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Except there were players at PBHH that were the same age as Goure, played the same or fewer games, yet they significantly outplayed him.

Scouting is a lot about relative comparison, and while it's interesting that Goure was a first round pick in the 2019 draft, scouts are more interested in where he is on a relative basis now and how he projects at the next level.

He played in 2 games before he left with an injury I believe. I would think that context would be needed regarding the PBHH.

No question its all relative, Corey Pronman of the Athletic has him in the 4/5th I believe. I think that based on past history, 16 year olds with that level of production (10th among 16 year olds) do very well at the draft (reletively speaking).

I have my bias, you have yours, great thing is it all comes out in the wash come end of the month.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
The only thing we know for sure is we are both wrong!

It will be an interesting draft and I wish all the players — Goure included — nothing but the best, as it has been a difficult year for OHL players, particularly those that are first year draft eligible players.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’d call this years nhl draft an utter failure for the O!! Yes covid made this tough but the draft happened and only 30 players made the cut!! Just when the CHL needs every chance to try and lure fans back this happens. This league is struggling and Branch needs to figure out how to fix it if hand the reigns over to someone that can!!!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’d call this years nhl draft an utter failure for the O!! Yes covid made this tough but the draft happened and only 30 players made the cut!! Just when the CHL needs every chance to try and lure fans back this happens. This league is struggling and Branch needs to figure out how to fix it if hand the reigns over to someone that can!!!

Lol come on. The league still had more draftees than just about any other league after being one of the only ones not playing a single game.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Lol come on. The league still had more draftees than just about any other league after being one of the only ones not playing a single game.
Yeah and not only that but other leagues, including US leagues, continue to develop. The OHL or CHL can only do so much. There are other opportunities for players to play now and it’s 2021, kids are just better at hockey and being noticed in other leagues

This is like complaining about Big 10 football teams not doing enough to compete with the SEC. OHL can’t control US players getting better and going the college route. Just like BIG schools can’t control southern kids staying south and going to SEC teams. Kids in all sports have more options than ever before. There isn’t just one way to do it. OHL can no longer monopolize talent

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yeah and not only that but other leagues, including US leagues, continue to develop. The OHL or CHL can only do so much. There are other opportunities for players to play now and it’s 2021, kids are just better at hockey and being noticed in other leagues

This is like complaining about Big 10 football teams not doing enough to compete with the SEC. OHL can’t control US players getting better and going the college route. Just like BIG schools can’t control southern kids staying south and going to SEC teams. Kids in all sports have more options than ever before. There isn’t just one way to do it. OHL can no longer monopolize talent

And having said that, if you're an NHL team and were only allowed to draft from 1 league, you'd pick the OHL lol

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
And having said that, if you're an NHL team and were only allowed to draft from 1 league, you'd pick the OHL lol
Exactly. All things considered and they still the best league.
I’ll admit Branch and company could be better with PR and marketing but regardless, their league still produces the most talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad