Olympics: Final qualification - 26 to 29 August 2021

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
and? denmark and norway are small countries aswell and not big hockey nations and yet they have leagues that are good. if they can have a good league then latvia could have it too. the potential is there.

There's small and then there's really small. Big difference in per capita incomes too.

Norway GDP - 400 billion $.
Denmark GDP - 350 billion $.
Latvia GDP - 34 billion $.

So even if you imagine that Latvians are willing to spend twice as much of their incomes on hockey tickets and supporting teams in some way, as compared to Norwegians and Danes, they will overall spend less than 20% as much as either Norway or Denmark. That's a lot less money for journeyman hockey players in Latvia, not enough to support an entire good pro league.

There's also less than a million people who live outside of Riga Metro area. It lends itself perfectly to having one good KHL team and not much else.

Reactions: Jan

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
you do realise that poland have won over belarus and kazaksthan? they are not as bad as you make it sound. yes latvia is better and should win 19 of 20 games against poland but latvia b and latvia c would not crush poland a
You do realize Latvia has defeated Canada/USA/Russia/Finland/Sweden? No way Canada B/USA B/Russia B/Finland B/Sweden B would beat Latvia.

Just look at the quality of their players. All of their players are worse. It's pretty simple.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
There's small and then there's really small. Big difference in per capita incomes too.

Norway GDP - 400 billion $.
Denmark GDP - 350 billion $.
Latvia GDP - 34 billion $.

So even if you imagine that Latvians are willing to spend twice as much of their incomes on hockey tickets and supporting teams in some way, as compared to Norwegians and Danes, they will overall spend less than 20% as much as either Norway or Denmark. That's a lot less money for journeyman hockey players in Latvia, not enough to support an entire good pro league.

There's also less than a million people who live outside of Riga Metro area. It lends itself perfectly to having one good KHL team and not much else.
And even Norway and Denmark don't have leagues that are *good*. They're mediocre DivIA/B quality teams.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yikes, well it’s clear now why they take shots at Slovak players as well as overall attitude of Belarus team.
I'll bite.... What shots you are talking about? One dumb/clumsy boarding? Feistiest player on Belarus roster was Shane Prince and I can assure you he doesn't give two **** about Lukashenko. You are seeing things that are not there.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
And even Norway and Denmark don't have leagues that are *good*. They're mediocre DivIA/B quality teams.
I think the best teams from Norway and Denmark would handidly beat the best teams from Latvia, not including your KHL team.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Biezais signed with a DEL3 team for ... some reason. Given that he played well in DEL2 who knows why he went to a league lower, but I think it's safe to say his career is not going towards making Team Latvia.

Batna was making the team due to his KHL experience but if he stays in France and doesn't move on from there somewhere up, he is also unlikely to be a frequent guest in the team any more, no matter how well he looked in the last WC. French league is simply too weak for Team Latvia nowadays.

They are sort of building a little Latvian colony on that team. After he signed, Biezais said that he wanted to remain in Germany and that he knew Ralf Rinke, another player on that team, very well. And Rinke is part Latvian. Since then the team has also signed Rustams Begovs. Not sure how that will affect his national team career, but the contact with Rinke was the reason Biezais himself gave, for signing with Herford in Germany's third tier league.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
I think the best teams from Norway and Denmark would handidly beat the best teams from Latvia, not including your KHL team.
The last time teams from these leagues met, Kurbads won Rungsted 8:4 in the 2017 Continental Cup. So, probably not always that easily.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
The last time teams from these leagues met, Kurbads won Rungsted 8:4 in the 2017 Continental Cup. So, probably not always that easily.
Well in 2017 Rungsted wasn’t a top team.

Finished on the last PO spot in the league, got some hugeinvestments over winter, and some new players before 2018 and then finished 3 in the PO.

I am guesssing they played the Latvian team before they got this - And before that, it would be generous to call them a top team - Edit, they played in late 2016/early 2017, and this time Rungsted was definitely not a top team.

Also, isn’t this an exhibition tourney?

But, the top team in Latvia, could from time to time beat a top NO or DK team, just not on a regular basis imo.

Probably better chance of beating a Danish team, as the Norwegian league is better - Has alot more
money.

The Danish league is mostly a development league.

Last edited:

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Maybe it's a language barrier thing, but all of the replies to your post are

make our C roster. The entire Polish national team consists of Polish domestic league players.
I know I know our player is always better than the others.

And I think that the discussion started with Belorussia.
Are truly sure, that you could beat Belarussia, if you removed your five best player, including your top goalies?

First I am neither Polish and neither is I Belorussian, My wife is Latvian but has nothing to do with this.
But Namejs, I am not so sure.
I has often seen your team be the second best, except for excellent goaltending. So I would not bet on either way.

The entire Polish national team consists of Polish domestic league players.
Witch in NO doubt mean they are all Garbage right?

Still they qualified to play for the qualification of the Olympic....

All Garbage right?

And All Hockey players in Latvia is just Elite, right?

So there will never come a time, when Poland could beat your team, right. A Country of only elite players and a country of only garbage.

So You from Poland, I will not judge your player all garbage...

I am at least honest and know at some time the players of my country, will come down to that level, if I remove enough.
After all, I do not come from one of the big hockey countries.

I guess, Latvia is in the world number four, since their second League team could beat Poland.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
You do realize Latvia has defeated Canada/USA/Russia/Finland/Sweden? No way Canada B/USA B/Russia B/Finland B/Sweden B would beat Latvia.

Just look at the quality of their players. All of their players are worse. It's pretty simple.
And so?

So did almost every other team that are constantly present in the A group.

We all has good years and we have bad years.

So, what?

What did you actually win, except beating one of the good team once or twice?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I know I know our player is always better than the others.

And I think that the discussion started with Belorussia.
Are truly sure, that you could beat Belarussia, if you removed your five best player, including your top goalies?

First I am neither Polish and neither is I Belorussian, My wife is Latvian but has nothing to do with this.
But Namejs, I am not so sure.
I has often seen your team be the second best, except for excellent goaltending. So I would not bet on either way.

Witch in NO doubt mean they are all Garbage right?

Still they qualified to play for the qualification of the Olympic....

All Garbage right?

And All Hockey players in Latvia is just Elite, right?

So there will never come a time, when Poland could beat your team, right. A Country of only elite players and a country of only garbage.

So You from Poland, I will not judge your player all garbage...

I am at least honest and know at some time the players of my country, will come down to that level, if I remove enough.
After all, I do not come from one of the big hockey countries.

I guess, Latvia is in the world number four, since their second League team could beat Poland.
Great personal story there, bud.

You are unable to string together a single coherent line of thought.

Nearly all the Polish players are worse than the ones on Latvia B. What are your counter-arguments, aside from the fact that you might have the chance to introduce some good genes in your family tree for the first time since you crawled down from the trees?

member 305909

I must admit that I was surprised to learn that Norway and especially Denmark even have hockey-leagues of their own.

Such an esoteric sport in both countries in the view of the wider public.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008

Nearly all the Polish players are worse than the ones on Latvia B. What are your counter-arguments, aside from the fact that you might have the chance to introduce some good genes in your family tree for the first time since you crawled down from the trees?
Well, I might not agree with all that Jan says, but please play nice dude.

Reactions: Czechboy

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I must admit that I was surprised to learn that Norway and especially Denmark even have hockey-leagues of their own.

Such an esoteric sport in both countries in the view of the wider public.
Hockey has always had a league in Denmark.

And the sport has been growing steadily for a good while now.

Dofs

Jun 25, 2021
Batna was making the team due to his size which is something Hartley is borderline obsessed about.
Well, yes, but Hartley looked at him in the first place because he was playing in KHL. If those years Batna played in KHL he played in France instead, Hartley wouldn't even have glanced at him, size or not.

Well, now that Dzerins got signed to the IceHL who knows maybe Biezais will get a NT call up, knowing how embarrassing it'd be for Latvia to call up an IceHL player I assume Dzerins' NT career is over.
Why would it be embarrassing, am I missing some context here? Latvia already had Krastenbergs from IceHL in Olympics Qualifier already. It's not that bad of a league, and if Dzerinsh plays really well there, I am pretty certain he would still make the team, especially in tournaments when all the best wouldn't be available anyway.

They are sort of building a little Latvian colony on that team. After he signed, Biezais said that he wanted to remain in Germany and that he knew Ralf Rinke, another player on that team, very well. And Rinke is part Latvian. Since then the team has also signed Rustams Begovs. Not sure how that will affect his national team career, but the contact with Rinke was the reason Biezais himself gave, for signing with Herford in Germany's third tier league.
Right, interesting, thanks. We'll see how their little "project" will continue. Seems like a very risky move more the career of Biezais though.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021

Yes you player is the worlds best.

Canada go home.

Your are tight and I get peace.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012

when Latvia beats Canada or any other good hockey country its like 1 in 10 games. I can make 4-5 CAN rosters that would be better then Latvian A. Other better countries 2-3. You are always overestimating mediocre Latvian team

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
when Latvia beats Canada or any other good hockey country its like 1 in 10 games. I can make 4-5 CAN rosters that would be better then Latvian A. Other better countries 2-3.
Great to see that we both agree with each other entirely.

Actually, you could ice about 8-10 Canadian rosters that are better than team Latvia.

Which, once again, was my entire point. Beating someone once or twice doesn't in any way imply their B team is worse than your A team.

Thanks for supporting my point.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Why don't they try a Baltic hockey League with Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia?
Much bigger market and also short travel distances. Could be a decent devolpment league.
The funny thing about having a decent domestic league is that it actually impedes the development of your most talented young players, which makes your national team worse, not better.

The UK, Poland, France, Belarus, Austria all have pro leagues. Their kids stay home instead of playing in the best Swedish/Finnish/Canadian/Russian/etc. junior leagues.

So what you get is Latvia whooping their ass for decades, because the majority of our prospects play abroad from a certain age.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wish I shared your enthusiasm considering both U18/U20 results and player development have been pretty underwhelming in Latvia's case over the last 10 years. Defense is kinda terrible already at the men's level and at forward, who are the guys that are going to replace all those 30+ dudes? Daugavins, Indrasis, Kenins, Darzins, Dzerins? Redlihs and Karsums are as good as gone already. All I see is a bunch of mediocre minor leaguers.

I find the "ass-whooping" arrogance heavily misplaced when the country has entered one of the more dramatic roster turnovers in recent memory. You are kicking those asses until you aren't, for more examples see Germany. And the margins setting you apart from Belarus, Austria or Kazakhstan are going to get even thinner.

Yes, maybe not having a good pro league pushes kids to go to more competitive environments. However, it also destroys the careers of future NT players. Even someone like Kalnins has barely survived his immediate post-junior years.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well in 2017 Rungsted wasn’t a top team.

Finished on the last PO spot in the league, got some hugeinvestments over winter, and some new players before 2018 and then finished 3 in the PO.

I am guesssing they played the Latvian team before they got this - And before that, it would be generous to call them a top team - Edit, they played in late 2016/early 2017, and this time Rungsted was definitely not a top team.

Also, isn’t this an exhibition tourney?

But, the top team in Latvia, could from time to time beat a top NO or DK team, just not on a regular basis imo.

Probably better chance of beating a Danish team, as the Norwegian league is better - Has alot more
money.

The Danish league is mostly a development league.

would you say danish and norway league is stronger than allsvenskan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad