Final Fantasy VIII Remaster - 9/3/2019

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The draw system is just so bad. This is where the 3x speed increase might be a huge quality of life improvement, if you can manage the menu enough while sped up to zoom through the excruciating process of filling up your magic.

It's also ridiculous how little attention and development the characters in your party receive outside of Squall and Rinoa. They're just there. I know they were focusing on a love story, but you have no reason to care about them at all.

Having got that out of the way, I still love this game. Best setpieces in a Final Fantasy, from the initial SEED exam, the train mission, the assassination attempt, to the invasion of the rival Garden...man those moments were so hype for me back then. I also have the very unpopular opinion of loving the card game. It's a lot of fun if you know how to keep the weird rules from spreading. And can save you from having to draw your magic if you refine the cards into items.
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. 8's card game is well received and 9s is hated, from what I remember.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
So here's a clip I recorded awhile back of my FF7 remaster acting all janky.

The same thing happened with my FF9 remaster and now it's happening in my FF8 remaster. Apparently I'm the only one having this problem because everyone I've asked if they've experienced this has said no. So I'm hoping someone here has this issue and or at least can give me an idea on how to fix it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So here's a clip I recorded awhile back of my FF7 remaster acting all janky.

The same thing happened with my FF9 remaster and now it's happening in my FF8 remaster. Apparently I'm the only one having this problem because everyone I've asked if they've experienced this has said no. So I'm hoping someone here has this issue and or at least can give me an idea on how to fix it.

I presume you are playing the PC version?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ugh, i forgot the enemies continue to attack while it’s your turn to attack. f***ing hate that, let me sit there and figure something out and not get rushed the entire time.

Hensch

Dec 30, 2010
Nanaimo
Well, i have it and YIKES.. you are stuck in the 4:3 aspect ratio settings, you can control in game volume settings, but you can't adjust music volume what-so-ever (Streamers have been complaining about the music volume... it's ear rape), the open world looks horrendous. the 3 x speed is huge, especially when drawing for magic... which still to this day is painful... it's cheap it's worth the buy

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
$20 bucks is cheap for stuff modders could do in an hour? Gotta disagree.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Well, i have it and YIKES.. you are stuck in the 4:3 aspect ratio settings, you can control in game volume settings, but you can't adjust music volume what-so-ever (Streamers have been complaining about the music volume... it's ear rape), the open world looks horrendous. the 3 x speed is huge, especially when drawing for magic... which still to this day is painful... it's cheap it's worth the buy
Don't know why you'd want to play in anything but 4:3. You'd be stretching it out just to play it in widescreen. There's plenty of videos where they've done this and it looks like garbage.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-6_16-10-41.png
    upload_2019-9-6_16-10-41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I forgot why I loved this game so much. You can play it so many different ways. The draw/junction system gets a bad rep but you don't really even need to use it. I've replayed this game a few times already so I know all the little tricks that most people probably don't, but learning different ways to play the game adds to the fun. Also, I get adding 3x speed but adding no encounters and restore hp too? So lame.

Reactions: Ho Kogan

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I forgot why I loved this game so much. You can play it so many different ways. The draw/junction system gets a bad rep but you don't really even need to use it. I've replayed this game a few times already so I know all the little tricks that most people probably don't, but learning different ways to play the game adds to the fun. Also, I get adding 3x speed but adding no encounters and restore hp too? So lame.
You can get pretty OP fairly early once you can use Balamb as a ship because of the draw system.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm doing no exp until I can get to cactuar island, then farm cactuars until GF skills are maxed and I get those sweet stat bonus abilities. Those 80+ stat points for each stat are huge.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
One unfortunate and frustrating but unsurprising thing about these remasters is that the technology already exists and has been used by modders to ACTUALLY upscale everything properly, but the developers haven't caught onto it yet. Imagine the same game with this level of detail/fidelity. The backgrounds are clearly the weakest part of the remaster, and they could easily have fixed that if they wanted to (especially if the reports are true that they lost the source code and had to do a lot of work to put it back together anyways).

1-1548532725-1062120774.png

1-1548532843-34035223.png

1-1548532780-765730296.png

1-1548532939-836779383.png

Reactions: Suxnet

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can't time the button press correctly. When do I press the R1 button?
Do you get the indicator? You press it when the wave-y thing enters the grey rectangle.
maxresdefault.jpg

If you don't get the indicator, turn it on in Squall's status menu.
TF3br.png

Typically, you press it when you hear the sword-swipe sound effect, but that may not apply to the limit.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Do you get the indicator? You press it when the wave-y thing enters the grey rectangle.
maxresdefault.jpg

If you don't get the indicator, turn it on in Squall's status menu.
TF3br.png

Typically, you press it when you hear the sword-swipe sound effect, but that may not apply to the limit.

Thanks. I was really pressing the R1 like crazy. I did get the indicator, but I was just impatient.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Thanks. I was really pressing the R1 like crazy. I did get the indicator, but I was just impatient.

Additionally, because of the frame rate changes in the the "remaster", the timing is a bit more difficult than it was in the original. As someone who has beaten the game no less than 10 times, even I had trouble at first getting the trigger to activate correctly in the remaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad