Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH - Part 2 (Feb 29th, 2024 Release Date) - Reviews are Out! (NO SPOILERS - See Post 385)

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
The story will follow the same, the key moments will be there it just might happen differently.

Like instead of Aerith dying at the altar, she'll die around the Icicle Inn/North Crater. There's a lot of evidence that suggests this was the original intent.

Remember it's not so much a remake as it is a reimagining. They've been saying this since day 1, and everyone getting mad about it clearly hasn't been paying attention.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The story will follow the same, the key moments will be there it just might happen differently.

Like instead of Aerith dying at the altar, she'll die around the Icicle Inn/North Crater. There's a lot of evidence that suggests this was the original intent.

Remember it's not so much a remake as it is a reimagining. They've been saying this since day 1, and everyone getting mad about it clearly hasn't been paying attention.
Something isn't free from criticism simply because the decision is telegraphed and forewarned.

I'm crossing my fingers that they'll approach it the way you describe rather than the ideas that they injected into the end of this one (and I think that the way it happens should be adjusted, personally). Most people will be pleasantly surprised if it's actually a spiritually faithful re-imagining rather than something more extreme, which is what the actual fear is. It'll be strange if they abandon some of the seeds they've planted, but that's better than fully committing to them, IMO.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I am not at all convinced Aerith is going to die. Which is most likely exactly what they want. I could see them doing a fake out like it isnt happening then it happens later when you don't expect it, someone else dies in her place, or no one dies because that seems to be this stories theme

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Something isn't free from criticism simply because the decision is telegraphed and forewarned.

I'm crossing my fingers that they'll approach it the way you describe rather than the ideas that they injected into the end of this one (and I think that the way it happens should be adjusted, personally). Most people will be pleasantly surprised if it's actually a spiritually faithful re-imagining rather than something more extreme, which is what the actual fear is. It'll be strange if they abandon some of the seeds they've planted, but that's better than fully committing to them, IMO.
Yeah, no absolutely. I guess it's more directed towards people expecting a 1:1 remake. I can understand the concerns of some of these ideas, because it could end up making it a convoluted mess depending on how they implement everything. But I'm excited to see where it goes for now.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Chapter 14 is so far my least fav, the last couple parts of it were cool but those side quests, meh.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I just don't like the gameplay. Don't like the combat style they've gone to between XV and now this. I find myself so in love with how the game looks and how expanded it is, but then I have to do the combat and I'm just deflated.

A real bummer for me personally.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I just don't like the gameplay. Don't like the combat style they've gone to between XV and now this. I find myself so in love with how the game looks and how expanded it is, but then I have to do the combat and I'm just deflated.

A real bummer for me personally.
How far are you into the game?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I am not at all convinced Aerith is going to die. Which is most likely exactly what they want. I could see them doing a fake out like it isnt happening then it happens later when you don't expect it, someone else dies in her place, or no one dies because that seems to be this stories theme

I'd bet my balls on all the major shit that happened in the 1st game happening in the remake project. Maybe not exactly as they happened (as you mentioned) but they will still happen.

I don't understand the 'no one dies' comment though? In the regular timeline, Zack and Biggs are dead. In fact everyone who is dead at that point in the game in the OG is dead (assuming that Wedge died at Shinra HQ, which hasn't been confirmed but it was implied.)

The alt timeline shit can 100% get messy, but I wouldn't get too worked up on them deviating from the main story all that much. I think it gives Sephiroth an avenue to be even more of a manipulative master mind than he was in the OG. We've already seen him play that role 10000x harder in this first installment.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just finished the game. The combat is just a train wreck.
That's literally like one of the strongest points of the game almost in complete agreement around the gaming world...but to each their own. Maybe you never full grasped it or were just smashing buttons without putting any strategy into it?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
That's literally like one of the strongest points of the game almost in complete agreement around the gaming world...but to each their own. Maybe you never full grasped it or were just smashing buttons without putting any strategy into it?

yeah I just mashed buttons all the way to the end of the game....

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
On easy and with grinding in the arena you absolutely could have.

Maybe you got a version of the game where magic actually casts when you ask it to, and actually hits the enemy. Or one where when you use an ability it actually goes through.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'd bet my balls on all the major shit that happened in the 1st game happening in the remake project. Maybe not exactly as they happened (as you mentioned) but they will still happen.

I don't understand the 'no one dies' comment though? In the regular timeline, Zack and Biggs are dead. In fact everyone who is dead at that point in the game in the OG is dead (assuming that Wedge died at Shinra HQ, which hasn't been confirmed but it was implied.)

The alt timeline shit can 100% get messy, but I wouldn't get too worked up on them deviating from the main story all that much. I think it gives Sephiroth an avenue to be even more of a manipulative master mind than he was in the OG. We've already seen him play that role 10000x harder in this first installment.
While I'm not sure what was happening in the scene, I highly doubt that that was actually an off-screen Wedge death. Also, what gives you the impression that Biggs surviving was in an alternate timeline? I'm under the impression that only the Zack part is non-applicable to the reality that the story takes place in (and I'm crossing my fingers that it has no further implications on the remake moving forward). They even left a hint that Jessie might be alive by showing her gear next to Biggs.

But even beyond that, the illusion of stakes is completely shattered even by something as simple as leaving it open to speculation in the first place, and just by the fact that the plate comes down and is milked for emotional power/consequences, only to end up with pretty much every notable NPC that you would even recognize from Sector 7 apparently evacuated and survived. By the end of the game, it feels like the only definitive notable loss was the infrastructure. Like, not that it would be enough, but at least have the balls to definitively kill off someone like Marle or that angry weapons guy, so that it feels like SOMETHING.

Technical outcomes that may or may not turn out a certain way later aren't necessarily the entire issue anyways, IMO. Even if they end up going on a big detour to somehow end up with the exact same outcome, as far as actual storytelling goes, it's very compromised, hesitant, and half-hearted delivery of something absolutely pivotal to the game. The fact that death as a concept is presented as something uncertain, wishy washy, has a ton of dimensional silver linings, or may even potentially be reversible in some cases completely goes against what should be the primary theme of the project. Ironically, this is to "accept fate/the finality of life/death" and accept what isn't under your control while doing your part with whatever is."-- A much more beautiful and real idea then "Let's fight against fate and make everything turn out how we ideally want it to!"
This is my biggest gripe with the game, personally. Everything else can be forgiven to certain degrees, given how good the rest of the game is. Like, I don't care about textures or gameplay imperfections/frustrations so much, and even stuff like Roche and pointless filler areas aren't that big of deal, in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
While I'm not sure what was happening in the scene, I highly doubt that that was actually an off-screen Wedge death. Also, what gives you the impression that Biggs surviving was in an alternate timeline? I'm under the impression that only the Zack part is non-applicable to the reality that the story takes place in (and I'm crossing my fingers that it has no further implications on the remake moving forward). They even left a hint that Jessie might be alive by showing her gear next to Biggs.

But even beyond that, the illusion of stakes is completely shattered by even leaving it open to speculation in the first place, and just by the fact that the plate comes down and is milked for emotional power, only to end up with pretty much every notable NPC that you would even recognize from Sector 7 apparently evacuated and survived. By the end of the game, it feels like the only definitive notable loss was the infrastructure. Like, at least have the balls to definitively kill off someone like Marle or the Weapons guy, so that it feels like SOMETHING.

"Technical" outcomes alone don't cut it, IMO. It's very compromised and half-hearted delivery of something absolutely pivotal to the game either way. And the fact that death is uncertain or potentially reversible completely goes against what should be the primary theme of the game (which is ironically to "accept fate/the finality of life/death" and accept what isn't under your control while doing your part with whatever is."-- A much more beautiful and real idea then "Let's fight against fate and make everything turn out how we ideally want it to!")

Jesse is toast and I don't think that was her gear. The implication that Zack is the only non timeline sequence at the end is incorrect IMO.

I put this together on the VG thread in our home board, it's clear that they showed other stuff that was not part of the regular timeline during the ending sequence.

Reference the images below for context.

1. The 7th Heaven sign post plate collapse (Chapter 13)

2. Same sign during the ending sequence... It's not nearly as f***ed up insinuating that this is a different timeline than the one we just played in.

3. Is that the pillar still in tact? Is this showing a different timeline in which perhaps Zack is actually able to stop Shinra from dropping the plate? There would still be collateral damage from the fight (and maybe even a chopper that still crashes, which could explain some of the damage to the sec 7 slums.) Maybe this is where we also see that Biggs is still alive (seriously injured on the pillar, but since it doesn't fall, he lives.)

upload_2020-5-4_17-23-43-png.344959

They showed Biggs at the leaf house right after the last image. Now they hopped around everywhere but with all the sparkly fate spirits raining down I thought that it was clear for sure that this wasn't the Regular timeline. Whether or not it's tied to Zack's or the one referenced above (If the above isn't Zack's timeline and/or I'm not completely wrong about it.)

I mean people still obviously died during the plate falling on the lower section of sector 7 (everyone on the top plate, along with others on the bottom.) Their deaths, as it pertains to the story and the characters that it revolves around, are irrelevant.

Just because the message of this one is that tomorrow isn't written doesn't mean that the rest of the story will follow suit. They may very well end up playing things out with the theme that no matter what you do, you can't outrun fate.

Also, I think people are overlooking the very likely possibility that by defeating the arbiters of fate, the crew did exactly what Sephiroth wanted them to do. If anything the stakes are higher now, because Sephiroth has basically erased history and obviously has some knowledge of the future.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jesse is toast and I don't think that was her gear. The implication that Zack is the only non timeline sequence at the end is incorrect IMO.

I put this together on the VG thread in our home board, it's clear that they showed other stuff that was not part of the regular timeline during the ending sequence.

Reference the images below for context.

1. The 7th Heaven sign post plate collapse (Chapter 13)

2. Same sign during the ending sequence... It's not nearly as f***ed up insinuating that this is a different timeline than the one we just played in.

3. Is that the pillar still in tact? Is this showing a different timeline in which perhaps Zack is actually able to stop Shinra from dropping the plate? There would still be collateral damage from the fight (and maybe even a chopper that still crashes, which could explain some of the damage to the sec 7 slums.) Maybe this is where we also see that Biggs is still alive (seriously injured on the pillar, but since it doesn't fall, he lives.)

upload_2020-5-4_17-23-43-png.344959

They showed Biggs at the leaf house right after the last image. Now they hopped around everywhere but with all the sparkly fate spirits raining down I thought that it was clear for sure that this wasn't the Regular timeline. Whether or not it's tied to Zack's or the one referenced above (If the above isn't Zack's timeline and/or I'm not completely wrong about it.)

I mean people still obviously died during the plate falling on the lower section of sector 7 (everyone on the top plate, along with others on the bottom.) Their deaths, as it pertains to the story and the characters that it revolves around, are irrelevant.

Just because the message of this one is that tomorrow isn't written doesn't mean that the rest of the story will follow suit. They may very well end up playing things out with the theme that no matter what you do, you can't outrun fate.

Also, I think people are overlooking the very likely possibility that by defeating the arbiters of fate, the crew did exactly what Sephiroth wanted them to do. If anything the stakes are higher now, because Sephiroth has basically erased history and obviously has some knowledge of the future.
  • Who else's gear can it be? The pattern's the same, and it doesn't look like Biggs' glove. I think the only other justification for it that I can think of would be that Biggs just found her gear and brought it back to commemorate her death or something, but that would be a reach. And again, regardless of round-a-bout outcome, the fact that they're even planting that seed of doubt/hope in your mind undercuts the weight of it.
    is_jessie_alive_at_the_end_of_the_ff7_remake_1542736.jpg
    final-fantasy-7-remake-characters-biggs-6.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2019-06-10-at-6.19.07-PM-640x400.png
  • While your evidence leaves open the possibility of this theory, you must admit that it's pretty wild and not exceptionally convincing (also makes everything messier). And even if it does turn out to be correct, I'm sure you can see how going "Biggs is alive!"--> "Oh no wait, that's just another timeline, he's actually dead" would be cheap in the opposite direction, right?
  • I interpreted the sparkly bits as being something that happened across all timelines to signify that destiny no longer really exists in any reality-- everything's unbound now.
  • I don't know if you phrased this part wrong, but I agree that the fact that unrecognizable red shirts definitely died is irrelevant to the impact of their deaths and of the event itself. What's somewhat ironic because most people wouldn't even notice this is that the only meaningful death I can think of that the game doesn't second-guess or leave up in the air would probably be Jessie's parents.
  • Regarding everything eventually cycling back to what it should be, sure, there's some possibility to salvage what we're left with moving forward, but it's certainly a clumsy and ineloquent way to do it, not to mention one that sends a lot of mixed messages ("Okay, it's about denying fate" --> "Oh no wait, it's actually not about that at all, its about accepting fate."). In some respects, it's already been compromised even in this installment alone, with Barrett dying and then immediately being revived. I suppose it's technically consistent because "fate did it", but that's so non-applicable and counter-intuitive to the real life parallel that would make it a compelling theme in the first place.
  • I don't have any disagreement on the last point-- that could very well be the case and it's not really one of my gripes. Sephiroth's motives, regardless of what they are, are very pie in the sky right now, so while there may end up being high stakes in some way (in fact, I think that there probably will be), it doesn't really change anything regarding how impactful, uncompromising or purposeful this installment feels.
While there's certainly a part of me that WANTS to deny all the things I'm concerned about and hopes that it will all work out in the end (and think there's still some possibility of these things being somewhat salvaged), I just don't think there's much reason to believe that any of this justification is actually likely at the moment. Jessie and Zack we can all agree is anyone's guess, but everything else that one would naturally glean from experiencing the ending communicates a lack of real stakes/consequences that is inherently unsatisfying, IMO.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
  • Who else's gear can it be? The pattern's the same, and it doesn't look like Biggs' glove. I think the only other justification for it that I can think of would be that Biggs just found her gear and brought it back to commemorate her death or something, but that would be a reach. And again, regardless of round-a-bout outcome, the fact that they're even planting that seed of doubt/hope in your mind undercuts the weight of it.
    is_jessie_alive_at_the_end_of_the_ff7_remake_1542736.jpg
    final-fantasy-7-remake-characters-biggs-6.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2019-06-10-at-6.19.07-PM-640x400.png
  • While your evidence leaves open the possibility of this theory, you must admit that it's pretty wild and not exceptionally convincing (also makes everything messier). And even if it does turn out to be correct, you must agree that going "Biggs is alive!"--> "Oh no wait, that's just another timeline, he's actually dead" would be cheap in the opposite direction, right?
  • I interpreted the sparkly bits as being something that happened across all timelines to signify that destiny no longer really exists in any reality.
  • I don't know if you phrased this part wrong, but I agree that the fact that unrecognizable red shirts definitely died is irrelevant to the impact of their deaths and of the event itself. What's somewhat ironic because most people wouldn't even notice this is that the only meaningful death I can think of that the game doesn't second-guess or leave up in the air would probably be Jessie's parents.
  • Regarding everything eventually cycling back to what it should be, sure, there's some possibility to salvage what we're left with moving forward, but it's certainly a clumsy and ineloquent way to do it, not to mention one that sends a lot of mixed messages. In some respects, it's already been compromised even in this installment alone, with Barrett dying and then immediately being revived.
  • I don't have any disagreement on the last point-- that could very well be the case and it's not really one of my gripes.
While there's certainly a part of me that is in denial and wants it all to work out in the end (and think there's still that possibility), I just don't think there's much reason to believe that any of this justification is actually likely at the moment. Jessie and Zack we can all agee is anyone's guess, but everything else that one would naturally glean from the ending communicates a lack of real stakes that is inherently unsatisfying, IMO.

I don't think it looks like Jessie's gear at all. I'm also pretty sure that the devs confirmed that shes dead, like dead across the board but I could be misremembering. I know that the chapter select confirms that shes dead in the current TL.

I don't think that Biggs in an alternate timeline cheapens anything. It may, but we don't know what or where they're going to go with that. Also to suggest that Wedge is probably alive is eh... I dunno quite the leap of faith. He died from a great fall in the OG. Implied that the same thing happened here, though later in the story. It's much more likely that he is dead than not (Real TL, I have no idea what his deal is in the Alt.)

Barret's scene was really a way of making it clear to the players that the whispers are there to keep everything in tact. I know that it was obvious beforehand, but there are people out there who need to be beat over the head a dozen times before they understand something. I don't really see what this has to do with anything though? He's still around as he was in the OG. If this were to happen again (it won't) he'd be dead for real.

Again, totally disagree with the lack of stakes. They've broken what was seemingly a cycle of Sephiroth being handed assured defeat despite meteor still dropping and f***ing shit up (and the planet ultimately wiping out human existence.) A more powerful, knowledgeable version has broken that cycle and if he succeeds, both the planet AND mankind are toast. It's really the same story as it was before with an even more omniscent and powerful villain (and potential multiverse f***ery.)

I understand the trepidation over the alternate timeline, but I still think the story itself is going to stay mostly the same. Events may transpire differently, but the end results and major story beats most likely will not change until maybe the very end.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it looks like Jessie's gear at all. I'm also pretty sure that the devs confirmed that shes dead, like dead across the board but I could be misremembering. I know that the chapter select confirms that shes dead in the current TL.

I don't think that Biggs in an alternate timeline cheapens anything. It may, but we don't know what or where they're going to go with that. Also to suggest that Wedge is probably alive is eh... I dunno quite the leap of faith. He died from a great fall in the OG. Implied that the same thing happened here, though later in the story. It's much more likely that he is dead than not (Real TL, I have no idea what his deal is in the Alt.)

Barret's scene was really a way of making it clear to the players that the whispers are there to keep everything in tact. I know that it was obvious beforehand, but there are people out there who need to be beat over the head a dozen times before they understand something. I don't really see what this has to do with anything though? He's still around as he was in the OG. If this were to happen again (it won't) he'd be dead for real.

Again, totally disagree with the lack of stakes. They've broken what was seemingly a cycle of Sephiroth being handed assured defeat despite meteor still dropping and f***ing shit up (and the planet ultimately wiping out human existence.) A more powerful, knowledgeable version has broken that cycle and if he succeeds, both the planet AND mankind are toast. It's really the same story as it was before with an even more omniscent and powerful villain (and potential multiverse f***ery.)

I understand the trepidation over the alternate timeline, but I still think the story itself is going to stay mostly the same. Events may transpire differently, but the end results and major story beats most likely will not change until maybe the very end.
I don't really get what you find ambiguous about that being Jessie's gear. It's a fingerless black glove with two red overlapping wristbands, and an angular arrow-shaped plate with a protruding edge down the middle and indentations on its corners. What else could it be and why else would they show it if not to plant that seed in your mind?

You could very well be right about Wedge possibly being dead, but it certainly didn't cross my mind when I saw it happen (and still doesn't, really-- feels more like another fakeout). It kind of just cuts away after Ghosts push him away and fades to black as glass breaks. Far from definitive. The first Wedge death fake-out was actually LESS vague than that (a piece of a building was landing above his head for crying out loud), and he turned out to be fine for some reason.

I know what the purpose of the Barrett scene is, but it still cheapens the concept of death/finality in this game and the drama that they briefly milk from it. What matters to me is execution and effectiveness of the game's themes and ideas, not some purist attachment to whether or not Barrett's survival matches the outcome of the original.

And again, you're referring to potential stakes and consequences in future installments-- This doesn't change the effects of what was communicated in the first game. On top of that, "something genuinely bad/worse than you can possibly imagine is a real threat to happen, but hasn't yet" is not demonstration of real stakes and consequences anyways. By that measure, the plate potentially coming down would have been evidence of real stakes even if hypothetically Rude doesn't end up pushing the button or everyone ended up surviving with absolute certainty.

I think there's a possibility that the events will still remain more or less the same moving forward, but I think damage has already been done by the ending of the first installment regardless, in terms of execution and meaning conveyed, for all the reasons I've already laid out. I agree that whether or not the implications of everything are additionally distastrous moving forward remains to be seen (although as you say there are very real reasons for trepidation and concern).

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I saw the sparky bits as something happening through out time (if you ever saw the last episode of Star Trek Next Generations, something like that) its an event that echos through time that has released the world from its destined fate. Its why Biggs, and more importantly Zach are shown alive. Aerith meta line after sensing Zach is her acknowledging this (and being the audience surrogate in fearing the story going into uncharted waters)

Taking all the stakes out of the plate collapse hurt the story and it mostly had nothing to do with the time travel nonsense. It's meant to be this huge gut punch that starts the rapid change in stakes the plot goes in. You failed and everyone (minus Marlene) died. Seeing all the NPCs escape and alive in the ending (not only alive but rebuilding?!?!) along with erasing Biggs death is a cope out. Wedge got an ambiguous death that might not be a death. Jessie was the only hard death in that sequence and even that might not stick.

It just goes against the theme of the original game a lot, and if they don't kill Aerith (or worse, make it a plot element to reverse her death) then this is just bad fan fiction at this point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Hell House battle legitimately gave me a headache lol.

The lack of dodging prowess - even though the characters are equipped with dodging materia - when you're locked onto an enemy is hilariously frustrating.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I've played about 6-8 hours now. I think I'm around chapter 7/8. So, figured I'd give my thoughts as someone who never played the original and this game has zero nostalgic value for me. Take with a grain of salt, as I'm sure somethings that I don't like will be parts that others really enjoy, especially if they are JRPG fans (I'm not particularly big on the genre). Spoiler-free.

Pros:
- Combat - This was actually the part I was most worried about coming in after playing the demo. I worried it would get boring and repetitive. After playing a good chunk of the game I still crave the combat moments. I've pretty much controlled Cloud exclusively, besides parts with flying enemies when I switch to Barret. The combat just feels satisfying and responsive. My only complaint is that I feel blocking is fairly useless (maybe better if slotting block materia, but I haven't found any yet)
- Graphics - The game is absolutely stunning. Not much more to say on that, it just looks great.
- Materia System - I love the materia system. I really enjoy being able to customize the stats and abilities of each party member, and leveling the materia (and that you can swap the leveled materia to another character). The different materia so far seem pretty varied as well and I find myself often staring at the equip slots trying to min-max in my head.

Cons:
- Dialogue - Pretty common with all JRPGs, but the dialogue has me cringing almost everytime someone speaks. Cloud isn't so bad, but I imagine thats because he has so few lines. For me though, I get taken out of the moment by some of the anime grunts/sighs and maniacal laughs that the bad guys do. Some of the female characters seem like a 12-year old boy wrote their dialogue (looking at you Jesse).
- Pacing/Between Combat - There are significant chunks of this game where you are moving at a snails pace doing a fetch quest or something with an NPC and the game forces you to walk. Sometimes these sequences can take upwards of 20 minutes to complete. I get that you need some of these moments and sequences to provide exposition and context, but I think this game has really stretched out some of it. I've found myself bored and frustrated a few times with some of the slower parts of the story.

Undecided:
- Story - I'll withhold judgement on this until I've finished the game. Seems like a pretty straightforward story so far, but I've heard there are twists I haven't come to yet.
- Characters - I love some of the characters (Cloud, Biggs, Wedge, Tifa) and really don't enjoy others (Heidegger, Aerith, Barrett seems like a character out of Tropic Thunder). I'll leave judgement here again until I finish the game.

So far, I think I'd put the game at a 7.5 or 8.

TLDR: Combat Good. Graphics GOOD. Walking quests BAD.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
How far are you into the game?
I just started Chapter 9 I think? I'm in the tunnel leading to Sector 6.

I am so charmed by this game, I really am. I wanted to hate this game. Went into it fully expecting to hate it, especially after what I'd seen about the ending and how they've kind of altered the story. I feel happy when I play that game. When I'm watching a scene between Aerith and Cloud discussing how the Wall Market came to be, I feel happiness in my heart because the original FF7 was such an enormous part of my childhood. To see it expanded upon as an adult makes me feel really happy inside.

And then, as I said, I get to the combat and I am immediately taken out of all of it. It's not for me. This remake wasn't made for me. It was made for people who maybe grew out of the traditional JRPG mold. It wasn't made for people who played the new DQ game and felt refreshed because there's still old school JRPGs coming out with modern conveniences.

If this game had a mode (similar to how DQ has a full out 16 bit mode in it) where I could have actual turn based, old school combat (not whatever this game tries to pass off as turn based) within the frame of what this game is, it would legitimately be my favorite game of all time. Even just this slice.

As it stands, it's an incredible experience for 50% of the time when I'm not actually playing the game.

I fully understand that this is a personal gripe. I understand that the combat has been largely well received. It is objectively good, IMO. It feels tight, it feels fast and responsive. It's just not what I want from Final Fantasy. I'm glad the game has been well received. It's just not for me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just started Chapter 9 I think? I'm in the tunnel leading to Sector 6.

I am so charmed by this game, I really am. I wanted to hate this game. Went into it fully expecting to hate it, especially after what I'd seen about the ending and how they've kind of altered the story. I feel happy when I play that game. When I'm watching a scene between Aerith and Cloud discussing how the Wall Market came to be, I feel happiness in my heart because the original FF7 was such an enormous part of my childhood. To see it expanded upon as an adult makes me feel really happy inside.

And then, as I said, I get to the combat and I am immediately taken out of all of it. It's not for me. This remake wasn't made for me. It was made for people who maybe grew out of the traditional JRPG mold. It wasn't made for people who played the new DQ game and felt refreshed because there's still old school JRPGs coming out with modern conveniences.

If this game had a mode (similar to how DQ has a full out 16 bit mode in it) where I could have actual turn based, old school combat (not whatever this game tries to pass off as turn based) within the frame of what this game is, it would legitimately be my favorite game of all time. Even just this slice.

As it stands, it's an incredible experience for 50% of the time when I'm not actually playing the game.

I fully understand that this is a personal gripe. I understand that the combat has been largely well received. It is objectively good, IMO. It feels tight, it feels fast and responsive. It's just not what I want from Final Fantasy. I'm glad the game has been well received. It's just not for me.
I would reserve judgement on it potentially being your favorite game of all time until you finish it. Generally speaking, even people who hate the end like myself generally feel the same things you do up until that point (that happy feeling is just unexpectedly met with sourness).

That said, I think that if you fully buy in with an open mind and get into the groove of the gameplay, it essentially is still turn-based in spirit. It sure as hell isn't anything close to an action game, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad