Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH - Part 2 (Feb 29th, 2024 Release Date) - Reviews are Out! (NO SPOILERS - See Post 385)

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
f*** this game.

Did all the Shina Battle simulators only to have the game glitch in a stupid f***ing air vent. Save your game before going into the bathroom.

f*** you Square!

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
I am fighting Hellhouse right now. I like the game but wish they did not add shitty characters like Roche and that Cowboy or the massage lady. Like wtf is that shit?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I am fighting Hellhouse right now. I like the game but wish they did not add shitty characters like Roche and that Cowboy or the massage lady. Like wtf is that shit?
Absolutely love this part of the game. Just beat hellhouse yesterday, what a fight that was!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Dunkey went for the throat. He summed up most of my feelings. Don't watch if you haven't finished the game yet.

Wont watch but since you said “went for the throat” makes me think he’s just a little baby who probably didnt like the ending knowing full well its. 3-4 part game :rolleyes:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Unpopular opinion in the other direction: As someone who thinks that subs are better 99% of the time and that English voice acting is generally bad, the English voice acting in this game (while still far form perfect) is much better than the Japanese voice acting, IMO. There's much less unique characterization and charm in the Japanese-- everyone sounds like generic Anime character, and the over the top cheesy stuff is actually much worse and more awkward in Japanese (Barrett being the biggest offender).
Wont watch but since you said “went for the throat” makes me think he’s just a little baby who probably didnt like the ending knowing full well its. 3-4 part game :rolleyes:
Please finish the rest of the game first-- I'm very curious about what your opinion will be then. I get that you love what you've played so far (so did I at that point), but you're prematurely defensive and dismissive about criticism before you even have an idea of how off the rails it gets/how steep the decline in coherence/sensibility is and how badly it undermines a lot of what was initially good about it.

For the record, the video has too much of a "make silly wrong-headed criticisms for the sake of a cheap joke" attitude (not unlike nonsensical crap like CinemaSins) for my liking and seems oddly proud of how narrowminded it's being, but the game really does deserve to have someone go for the throat for at least certain individual aspects, IMO (whether or not the good stuff makes up for it or allows people to overlook them is another story).

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Unpopular opinion in the other direction: As someone who thinks that subs are better 99% of the time and that English voice acting is generally bad, the English voice acting in this game (while still far form perfect) is much better than the Japanese voice acting, IMO. There's much less unique characterization and charm in the Japanese-- everyone sounds like generic Anime character, and the over the top cheesy stuff is actually much worse and more awkward in Japanese (Barrett being the biggest offender).
Please finish the rest of the game first-- I'm very curious about what your opinion will be then. I get that you love what you've played so far (so did I at that point), but you're prematurely defensive and dismissive about criticism before you even have an idea of how off the rails it gets/how steep the decline in coherence/sensibility is and how badly it undermines a lot of what was initially good about it.

For the record, the video has too much of a "make silly wrong-headed criticisms for the sake of a cheap joke" attitude (not unlike nonsensical crap like CinemaSins) for my liking and seems oddly proud of how narrowminded it's being, but the game really does deserve to have someone go for the throat for at least certain individual aspects, IMO (whether or not the good stuff makes up for it or allows people to overlook them is another story).
Haha deal. I’m a slow player, usually when i’m working the midnight shift i’m able to play 2-3 hours a night so i get in 6 hours a week. Give me another month ;)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That Reno fight is such horseshit. Like I don't mind tough fights, but doing it right after you fought a long bout against Airbuster is extremely poor planning on the producers part.

Unpopular opinion in the other direction: As someone who thinks that subs are better 99% of the time and that English voice acting is generally bad, the English voice acting in this game (while still far form perfect) is much better than the Japanese voice acting, IMO.
Granted I am still in the very beginning of this game, but every voice has been absolutely on point in the English. Only one I would give some complaint towards is Barrett and that's more due to his over the top theatrics where going to the bathroom is considered a war zone.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think the English voice actors did a poor job at all. I think they were actually pretty good. Its not their fault the script has so many awkward lines and anime grunts left right and center.

The review is pretty spot on. The story is stretched paper thin, there is too much filler and bloat that takes away from the superior original characters and story beats.

The whole thing falls flat and the changes that were made before the ending robs the two better moments of this part of the story of their emotional weight.

That three hour video of three FF fanboys doing a blog said just as much, but they bent over backwards trying to soften that because they want to love this game so badly and clearly don't want to deal with the backlash on their channels.

And yeah Jessie is annoying with how obnoxiously thirsty she is. Its a bad anime trope. Game was two steps from becoming a harem anime with Cloud.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think the English voice actors did a poor job at all. I think they were actually pretty good. Its not their fault the script has so many awkward lines and anime grunts left right and center.

The review is pretty spot on. The story is stretched paper thin, there is too much filler and bloat that takes away from the superior original characters and story beats.

The whole thing falls flat and the changes that were made before the ending robs the two better moments of this part of the story of their emotional weight.

That three hour video of three FF fanboys doing a blog said just as much, but they bent over backwards trying to soften that because they want to love this game so badly and clearly don't want to deal with the backlash on their channels.

And yeah Jessie is annoying with how obnoxiously thirsty she is. Its a bad anime trope. Game was two steps from becoming a harem anime with Cloud.
While I obviously agree with some of the easy-to-pick-out criticisms, my issue with the video is that the guy has zero appreciation for camp and anything that isn't traditional serious acting or plausible realism/naturalism (using games like God of War/Firewatch as the standard), and kept either disingenuously or ignorantly using examples of scenes that merely look bad out of context (but is deliberately awkward for an effective purpose) in order to cheaply and misleadingly emphasize the joke and make things look worse than they are. This is especially egregious considering that the game is packed with moments that are actually guilty of what he's saying.

For example, the Shinra Middle Manager/clapping scene was clearly deliberate camp used to great effect as a comedic device, but it's treated like an example of bad acting/lack of self awareness (the same type of moment is used in the original in the same way). The "getting up Shinra HQ by stairs" scene was used as an example of uninspired level design when that very thing is the whole comedic point, resulting in one of the better moments in the game (used to the same effect in the original too). The ultra slow high-five was also intentionally comedic and served a consistent and effective character purpose, but was passed off as a design nuisance because of how silly and slow it looks without context. Also, the "bathed in Mako" line sounded pretty correct and audible to me-- He didn't say "mana".

Beyond that, what generally bothered me about the video is that he kept focusing on all these superficial surface level elements that ultimately don't matter (an unrealistic/campy soap-opera-esque tone can be used effectively, and the original often ignored this factor as well while focusing on getting the bigger picture factors right) and brushing past the heart of the actual grander problems that surrounded them. Namely, convenient, cop-out outcomes undermining stakes and rendering build-up inconsequential, and anti-thetical and valueless themes/meaning communicated-- Only vaguely grazed upon without elaboration, if they were noticed at all. Aerith being overly calm and not manically man-handling children in a crisis was instead the type of thing he focused on.

It just struck me as rattling through easy pot-shots/oddities in the game without paying much attention to the actual validity of each example being faulty, the same way Cinema Sins does and always ends up looking foolish for.

Regarding the Resonant Arc video, while the other two seemed hesitant (they truly are fanboys with little choice but to concede to negative takes), the guy driving the conversation was much more eloquent, ruthless, knowledgable of different writing styles, and fair in getting to the actual root of the game's issues without sugar-coating it, IMO. The audience considerations you're accusing him of is not his MO at all, either (his videos and his audience are traditionally very skeptical and ambivalent about this type of project in the first place).

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm sorry, what? 6+ games? Can you link the article where he said that because that's honestly ridiculous.
That would be insane.

4 should be the absolute max but i still think 3 is perfect.
He's basing it on this podcast (timestamped):

In relation to how many parts Final Fantasy 7 Remake will eventually comprise, Kitase said, “We have a general idea of how the story will play out, but we haven’t decided exactly [how many parts], nor can we confirm anything.”

“There’s speculation that it will be three parts, but we’re just doing things one step at a time.”

Nomura also commented on when we can expect the next part of Final Fantasy 7 Remake to drop, although the answer is typically ambiguous: “Depends on how many parts the overall story will be. If we divide the story into large parts, it’ll take longer to make. If we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster. I hope to release the next one as soon as possible.”

The translator in question summed up their thread in a final tweet, breaking down the core of what transpired in the interview:
“Basically Nomura is saying that if they focus on shorter stories within the overall story (let’s say, focusing entirely on Junon alone as a crazy idea), it’ll be much faster to develop as opposed to taking the OG story in big chunks and developing those as whole installments.”
Nomura says Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be released in small chunks to speed up development - VG247

It seems like thin speculation based on very little to me.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like he thinks 3 in that but maybe more. How did he get 6+ games from that?
Well, no, I wouldn't go that far. He said that he's hearing a lot of people speculate that it will be a trilogy (in other words, people like us), but he seemed hesitant about installments being that dense. 6+ seems baseless, though. It's also a stretch to take his personal preference and assume that that's the direction the team as a whole will agree on.

The worrying thing is that it sounds like they haven't planned out the structure and are deciding things like this on the fly.

While I think three is perfect and 4+ would be structurally unsatisfying, I'm expecting 4+ based on what we've heard. In order to do 3, parts 2 and 3 would have to be much bigger than part 1.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well, no, I wouldn't go that far. He said that he's hearing a lot of people speculate that it will be a trilogy (in other words, people like us), but he seemed hesitant about installments being that dense. 6+ seems baseless, though. It's also a stretch to take what he's pushing for and assuming that that's the direction the team as a whole will agree on.

The worrying thing is that it sounds like they haven't planned out the structure and are deciding things like this on the fly.
Thank goodness he didn't outright say 6+. If Nomura ever does say that, that'll be the moment I'll duck out of the new FFVII games. I can justify buying a trilogy of games based on a previous title, but I can't justify more than that.

I get that due to the success of Remake, Square wants to push as many new FFVII games as they can into the market, but there comes a point where the game becomes inaccessible if there are a ton of titles that you have to play in order to get the full story.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thank goodness he didn't outright say 6+. If Nomura ever does say that, that'll be the moment I'll duck out of the new FFVII games. I can justify buying a trilogy of games based on a previous title, but I can't justify more than that.

I get that due to the success of Remake, Square wants to push as many new FFVII games as they can into the market, but there comes a point where the game becomes inaccessible if there are a ton of titles that you have to play in order to get the full story.
I'm already in "watch/read and decide if I like the narrative direction before buying" mode, myself.

On a reassuring note, from the same source as the Nomura interview, in response to concerns about the ending:
"We’re not drastically changing the story and making it into something completely different than the original. Even though it’s a Remake, please assume the story of FF7 will continue as FF7 always has."
- Yoshinori Kitase
Kitase Assures Fans Concerned About Final Fantasy 7 Remake Changes

Seems like a lot of disingenuous/contradictory mixed messaging, but if they actually follow through on that, it would be better than doubling down on what the game implies, IMO.

Based on interviews and the way different creatives speak about the project, it almost feels as though Nomura and Kitase have been pushing in completely opposite directions.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Did Kitase play this game? I don't see how that comment makes any sense in the context of the product we got.
Could be a sign that they're trying to have their cake and eat it too, by drumming up all this controversy to generate continued intrigue/novelty only to have it be inconsequential to future installments.
with all the alternate dimension reveals remaining inconsequential to THIS dimension and Sephiroth/Aerith's ability to see what's to come ultimately resulting in the same major events.

Either way, it's going to be a pretty flimsy narrative in this respect, but I wouldn't put it past them to do it anyways.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Could be a sign that they're trying to have their cake and eat it too, by drumming up all this controversy to generate continued intrigue/novelty only to have it be inconsequential to future installments.
with all the alternate dimension reveals remaining inconsequential to THIS dimension and Sephiroth/Aerith's ability to see what's to come ultimately resulting in the same major events.

Either way, it's going to be a pretty flimsy narrative in this respect, but I wouldn't put it past them to do it anyways.
I have a feeling it's going to end up like Final Fantasy VIII, where you get to certain points and play the Laguna segments. And if they do that, where you play both timelines, it's going to get real f***in messy.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

To me that sounds more like they are leaning towards the DLC route than the full game release route, but this is all obviously speculation based on Nomura's musings.

I guess mass amounts of DLC would clear up the "why didn't they call this Final Fantasy VII-1 or Part 1 etc. etc." conversation, but also probably stir up more controversy?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm already in "watch/read and decide if I like the narrative direction before buying" mode, myself.

On a reassuring note, from the same source as the Nomura interview, in response to concerns about the ending:
Kitase Assures Fans Concerned About Final Fantasy 7 Remake Changes

Seems like a lot of disingenuous/contradictory mixed messaging, but if they actually follow through on that, it would be better than doubling down on what the game implies, IMO.

Based on interviews and the way different creatives speak about the project, it almost feels as though Nomura and Kitase have been pushing in completely opposite directions.

Yeesh...that is exactly what you don't want to hear when it comes to a project of this magnitude. If your producer wants to go one way and your director wants to go a different direction, I could see there being patchwork sections of future games, or "compromises" where the only people who suffer from their disagreements are the fans.

For me, this all goes back to the idea that Square didn't have a plan for this series before they started making it. I don't know if that's true or not, but they seem to be writing and developing the Remake series by the seat of their pants, and that's not very reassuring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad