Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm a little confused about how they could integrate it into actual gameplay though. There's no story reason for them to ever go up on the upper plate unless they create a new one, and it probably shouldn't even be trivial for someone from the slums to be able to get up there, should it? Is it going to be a sidequests only area, are they going to shoehorn something into the main plot, or is it just going to be something that they show you but that you can't explore?

Everything they've shown so far other than this has been underneath it, right?
They gotta fill out ~40hrs of RPG in Midgar alone, so I can't imagine being stuck in the slums most of that time. I think we're going to get more and longer Avalanche missions in the upper plate. They showed off a lot of combat there.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Whoa, what the.... they're tacking that on as an extra scene in the opening with a full One Winged Angel segment? That's.... going to take some getting used to.

Edit: Is most of that first part meant to be the upper plate? Maybe that's why it looks so foreign and bright.
Yes.

The first part is the upper plate. It is meant to show the disparity between life on the upper plate and the slums.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Yes.

The first part is the upper plate. It is meant to show the disparity between life on the upper plate and the slums.
Well, actually the whole opening is the upper plate. It's a transition from day into night. There is some speculation that the girl is a younger Aerith and she's remembering watching the reactors when she was young, but I don't believe it's her because she grew up in the slums.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes.

Makes sense.
They gotta fill out ~40hrs of RPG in Midgar alone, so I can't imagine being stuck in the slums most of that time. I think we're going to get more and longer Avalanche missions in the upper plate. They showed off a lot of combat there.
By the way, did they ever actually specifically say 40 hours? Everyone keeps throwing that number around, but the only thing I heard them clarify was "not episodic-- full-sized game on two Blu Ray discs." Are people just making the assumption that two Blu Ray discs wouldn't be shorter than 40 hours?

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
By the way, did they ever actually specifically say 40 hours? Everyone keeps throwing that number around, but the only thing I heard them clarify was "not episodic-- full-sized game on two Blu Ray discs." Are people just making the assumption that two Blu Ray discs wouldn't be shorter than 40 hours?
They specified that it would be the same gameplay length as any other mainline FF game - which has led to the 35-40 hours speculation.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Well, actually the whole opening is the upper plate. It's a transition from day into night. There is some speculation that the girl is a younger Aerith and she's remembering watching the reactors when she was young, but I don't believe it's her because she grew up in the slums.

Yes I knew that :) . His question was specifically around the first part although I suppose I could have been more specific.

They (SE) are really trying to play up the life on the upper plate vs. the slums angle. We never really got to see what life on the upper plate was like in the original FF7, only getting to experience the slums.

Actually... not it wasn't. Unless they changed something, they showed the playground during the opening scene which was in the slums. Now I am confusing myself :laugh:

maxresdefault.jpg

upload_2020-2-14_13-32-56.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kingsholygrail

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They specified that it would be the same gameplay length as any other mainline FF game - which has led to the 35-40 hours speculation.
Wasn't XV only like 20-30 hours? I think I'd prefer if it was closer to that length, personally, so I'm glad there's some ambiguity there rather than a concrete 40.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Yes I knew that :) . His question was specifically around the first part although I suppose I could have been more specific.

They (SE) are really trying to play up the life on the upper plate vs. the slums angle. We never really got to see what life on the upper plate was like in the original FF7, only getting to experience the slums.

Actually... not it wasn't. Unless they changed something, they showed the playground during the opening scene which was in the slums. Now I am confusing myself :laugh:

maxresdefault.jpg

View attachment 320703

It's not unreasonable to think there's more than one playground in the city and they're deliberately creating a parallel to Aerith with the girl. The slums, while they likely did get some daylight, they definitely couldn't see the reactors from there.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Wasn't XV only like 20-30 hours? I think I'd prefer if it was closer to that length, personally, so I'm glad there's some ambiguity there rather than a concrete 40.
Yeah I think some people said it took them as little as 25 and some as much as 35 for the main story. So even if we just put it at a flat 30, I think that is a reasonable expectation.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
To be honest, I think I'm done looking at anything else for this game and I want to be blown away by when it comes out, not from the trailers. I've seen enough and I want so much more, but only from playing :).

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's not unreasonable to think there's more than one playground in the city and they're deliberately creating a parallel to Aerith with the girl. The slums, while they likely did get some daylight, they definitely couldn't see the reactors from there.
Yeah I dunno. They are the same exact slide, which is why I am now confused :laugh:

The quote from Aerith in the picture I posted alludes to the fact that it could be her, although I don't know if we will ever get confirmation one way or another.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
To be honest, I think I'm done looking at anything else for this game and I want to be blown away by when it comes out, not from the trailers. I've seen enough and I want so much more, but only from playing :).
I've been only looking at a few photos when they pop up on social media, but I'm in the same boat. I don't want to see too much before the game actually comes out.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Yeah I dunno. They are the same exact slide, which is why I am now confused :laugh:

The quote from Aerith in the picture I posted alludes to the fact that it could be her, although I don't know if we will ever get confirmation one way or another.
I think it's meant to make you think of Aerith more than actually be her.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Don't forget racing. If they do the racing well, I may end up playing that most of the time.
I've been thinking more about the Golden Saucer. So many of the mini-games could be absolutely epic when re-done. I'm thinking of the Submarine game, Battle Square, and Chocobo Racing in particular.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Don't forget racing. If they do the racing well, I may end up playing that most of the time.

I used a Gameshark to give myself unlimited money to get the best food for Chocobo breeding. I always got the best ones from the Snow village area (same place as snowboarding). They had both the best and worst chocobos there.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I've been thinking more about the Golden Saucer. So many of the mini-games could be absolutely epic when re-done. I'm thinking of the Submarine game, Battle Square, and Chocobo Racing in particular.

Maybe the 3D battler game isn't so f***ing cheap this time and you can actually get past the final guy lol. I would also be SHOCKED if they didn't add in new mini-games.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Maybe the 3D battler game isn't so ****ing cheap this time and you can actually get past the final guy lol. I would also be SHOCKED if they didn't add in new mini-games.
Ugh, I literally spent hours as a kid once trying so desperately to 'beat' that 3D battler game. Then my mom (who had played through it) walks by and goes "oh, you can't beat this game"

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I keep seeing updates to this thread and get excited, and then I come in to the thread and have no idea what anyone is talking about. :laugh:

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I used a Gameshark to give myself unlimited money to get the best food for Chocobo breeding. I always got the best ones from the Snow village area (same place as snowboarding). They had both the best and worst chocobos there.
“Gameshark”

ohh the memories:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

i am guessing this is before the plates were built, but it’s entirely possible it’s just Nomura getting details wrong or making needless changes.

The idea it is a separate, identical playground above the plate would be beyond stupid.

I am guessing it’s just pre-plate and some of Midgard’s history is being retconned (the towns that got crushed were more developed cities and the process of it becoming what it eventually became was more gradual).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm a little confused about how they could integrate it into actual gameplay though. There's no story reason for them to ever go up on the upper plate unless they create a new one, and it probably shouldn't even be trivial for someone from the slums to be able to get up there, should it? Is it going to be a sidequests only area, are they going to shoehorn something into the main plot, or is it just going to be something that they show you but that you can't explore?

Everything they've shown so far other than this has been underneath it, right?

Seeing it actually makes Aerith's house make a bit more sense than what it felt like in the game.

everything before this in trailers has basically been wholesale lifted from the original. I don’t think we have seen any absolutely brand new locations or story scenarios. We see that new Solider briefly but it looks like that is either outside one of the reactors or outside the Shinra building.

I think one of the new screenshots showed some side quests in the daylight? So that must be above the plates.

IDK. It would be interesting to see more of the city, but like you said I don’t see a proper storyline reason to be up there. Plus crawling around in the dark, dank, cyber punk slums was just so effective, and made the final moment when you get to the end of the highway and finally see the sky as the party declares they will find Sephy, it’s just a great moment as the game ramps up.

IDK

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Why do you guys think the playground is an inconsistency/retconn? The beginning of the opening focused on the upper plate but ended with a shot of the playground in the slums before transitioning into the original opening. There's no reason to think it's before the plate was built or is on the upper plate.

The shot of the playground in the trailer looked like someone on the bottom looking up at the reactor, surrounded by the upper plates to me (that's what all the houses and bridges up above are, aren't they?). It's not like every square inch of the slums is covered by ceiling. There are gigantic gaps between each sector/pizza slice (at least the width of a reactor), where the reactor is in view, and that's just about where I assume the playground is, right?

Here's a visualization:

Pizza Slice #7 (covered by upper plate that comes down):
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
----------------------------------------------------

REACTOR ---------- Empty space between 2 slices (no plate above, natural light can reach slums from here) ------------ SHINRA TOWER

-----------------------------------------------------

Edge of Pizza Slice #6 that's right up against the empty space, directly in view of reactor, only partially covered by plate, partially lit by natural light

^
|
<--- Little girl is looking this way at reactor after coming down slide
Climb to Shinra tower this way -->​
UaVXoArjCe7TSXp4vHvD1cUMynpScQdRF4_ysZ9alGR6TH-i4ipcWF9QSRp_5F7uFL1KmgG3fM57SEJh5FAW
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Deeper into pizza slice #6 (completely covered by upper plate):
latest

----------------------------------------------------

REACTOR ---------- Empty space between 2 slices ------------ SHINRA TOWER
(I assume this space is why Aeris' house is bright and sunny)
-----------------------------------------------------

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You can see the kids biking down the street towards it in an earlier shot. It’s connected to this nice part of town with the cafes and stuff and you can see the open sky in all those shots including when they look up at the reactor.

so there is no plate above this part of town so they either have to be on top of the plate in a different park, it’s the past, or they retconned that some of the pizza slices don’t have an upper plate and a slum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad