Final Fantasy VII REBIRTH - Part 2 (Feb 29th, 2024 Release Date) - Reviews are Out! (NO SPOILERS - See Post 385)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've dipped back into the game here and there on my quest to platinum this thing. It's going to take a while, some of the trophies are reallllly f***ing difficult to get. Finally knocked out
the 3rd glide de chocobo mini game. Had to look up how to do it because I kept on failing in the same spot.

On another note...

f***KKKKKKKK Chadley's Legendary challenges.

Agreed, I watched the whole thing before the game came out, ALL cutscenes from Remake, and was still left confused by the end and start of Rebirth.

Actually I should just ask now. Without too many major spoilers, but the scenes with Zack are f***ing confusing, is that a flashback or flashforward? I'm so confused :laugh:

In Rebirth?

Uhh... I don't know that this can be answered with out really dropping quasi serious spoilers.

Finished it at 95 hours while leaving most of the chapter 12 side stuff alone. I thought the temple was a great dungeon, probably the best out of the two games plus Yuffie DLC. Now to go read up on the ending to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Chapter 13 and 9 were my favorites which is saying alot because I didn't think chapter 4 would be able to be beat.

Lots of fantastic lore in both.

Reactions: Jovavic

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Here's a really great spoiler-filled discussion about the game. It's a doozy, but worth it.

I feel like his Jenova theory has to be a massive stretch, no? It doesn't really seem to add up to me, and his evidence for it seemed like it could just as easily apply to any of the other possibilities (for example, why Aerith at the end only uses dialogue from past moments in the game-- that could really mean anything). But it is pretty neat how the game managed to leave it SO open to interpretation that there are legitimately like 5 different Aeriths that it could possibly be at the end (that are each equally likely, and that COULD change from scene to scene within the same sequence) and we just don't know which one it is. It is nutty.

Maybe it's just me, but honestly, I had a lot of frustrations trying to follow his thoughts in this podcast, though. I thought Max was a little less coherent in this discussion than he was in Remake. Considering how convoluted the ambiguities of the game are and the fact that we didn't know his take going into this talk, I wish he would be more upfront and less mysterious/theatrical about how he presents his theories. He kept doing this thing where he starts out framing things a certain way that made you assume it was his genuine opinion of what was going on, and then possibly but unclearly under-cutting it as a fake-out by suggesting something completely different from that, implying that the former was just the natural but wrong assumption and the latter is what he actually thinks is happening, and when follow-up questions are asked to try to make sense of that actual theory (because oh boy, do they need to be), he may or may not do the same thing again (or even suggest a theory that he DOESN'T necessarily believe but is also a possibility), which kept making me lose track and go "Wait, so which one of the two different things that you said is the thing that you think?! How does it connect with that other ambiguous thing you said earlier? Was the earlier thing I'm thinking of one of the real takes or one of the fake-out takes or one of the 'who-knows?' takes?" several times. I feel like the Easy Allies guys also got lost a few times as well.

Also, man, this guy always bends over backwards to be as hyped/forgiving as possible for this stuff (although admittedly, I have sort of similarly started to 180 on a lot of my initial criticisms as well). He's fun, charismatic, passionate, and knowledgeable, but I always have to take his takeaways with a grain of salt.

It is a fun listen regardless, though.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
2027 for part 3 looks very possible according to recent interviews. The story is written and they'll begin voice acting soon, hopefully Chandley doesn't get as many lines as a main character in this one. 2027 would be the 30th anniversary of the OG game.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Beat it! And I thought the last boss gauntlet in the first one was long.
I don't think the core story has actually strayed from the original all that much. We're just getting a lot more details on what was going on in the background. They're incorporating more stuff from the other games, especially Crisis Core and the movie Advent Children(Roche was Sepiroth Clone 4). I interpret a lot of the "Multiverse" stuff as just the Lifestream and the battle going on there with Sephiroth slowly taking control of it.

There's a lot to look forward to in the next game. Lucrecia and Hojo being Sephiroth's birth parents. Professor Gast(Aerith's father) and all his research that led to the S-Project and G-Project. Probably not going to get any Genesis as that's resolved in Dirge of Cerebus I'm pretty sure. The Highwind. The Northern Crater. Snowboarding. Tifa and Scarlet having a slap fight in Junon. Rocket town and Wutai! Weapons! Gonna be awesome.

2027 for part 3 looks very possible according to recent interviews. The story is written and they'll begin voice acting soon, hopefully Chandley doesn't get as many lines as a main character in this one. 2027 would be the 30th anniversary of the OG game.
They also retained the development team. I really liked this game's system more than the first one. I hope they smooth it out even more.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
About to board the tram to go to the Gold Saucer. My only gripe so far would have to be the weapons. Every new one I pick up is not an improvement. I'm still using the Buster Sword with Cloud.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
About to board the tram to go to the Gold Saucer. My only gripe so far would have to be the weapons. Every new one I pick up is not an improvement. I'm still using the Buster Sword with Cloud.
Are you using the weapon skill slots? They're under the materia in the equip menu, and in the upgrade weapon menu.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's actually one thing I really like about the game. It's not just constant escalation, where previous things become antiquated-- new weapons just have different situational uses depending on how you want to use your character, and they give you new abilities. An iconic sword like the Buster Sword remains viable the whole way through.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Are you using the weapon skill slots? They're under the materia in the equip menu, and in the upgrade weapon menu.
Which is why I am still using the Buster Sword. I can add magic or physical damage to it and it is still the strongest weapon.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This video better verbalized the theory/clues I mentioned earlier that makes me potentially really optimistic (but still cautious because it might not happen) about the direction that the FFVII Remake trilogy might be heading, and that would no longer lead me to feel that it betrays the original game's themes, or that the weird "nonsensical stuff" is actually dumb/tasteless.

In my opinion, this is the only path forward that justifies any of the more seemingly nonsensical elements of the game. Timelines/"resisting fate" being the true objective of the trilogy I feel would really really suck, would be really childish, and would be completely antithetical to the original game's more mature themes, which is actually a little closer to the opposite idea-- "accepting fate and how it's beyond your control, but moving forward anyways."

Crossing my fingers hard that this is what they're actually doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad