Cochrane
Final rankings

1. Valimaki (70.6%)(+3)
2. Andersson (74.5%)(+1)
3. Dube (51.5%)(+5)
4. Kylington (58.3%)(+1)
5. Parsons (51.5%)(-2)
6. Mangiapane (58.1%) (+3)
7. Gillies (37.1%, 58.1% in runoff) (-1)
8. Foo (48.5%)(+2)
9. Phillips (53.8%) (+8)
10. Rittich (36.7%) (+5)
11. Klimchuk (45.5%) (+1)
12. Gawdin (50.0%) (NA)
13. Ruzicka (31.6%, 57.9% in runoff) (NR)
14. Rychel (56.5%) (NA)
15. Joly (36.4%) (NR)
16. Roman (30.4%) (NA)
17. Lindstrom (35.5%) (NR)
18. Tuulola (47.4%) (NR)
19. Zavgorodniy (26.1%, 42.1% in runoff) (NA)
20. Pospisil (36.8%) (NA)

2017 Top 20:
1. Mark Jankowski
2. Tyler Parsons
3. Rasmus Andersson
4. Juuso Valimaki
5. Oliver Kylington
6. Jon Gillies
7. Adam Fox
8. Dillon Dube
9. Andrew Mangiapane
10. Spencer Foo
11. Brett Kulak
12. Morgan Klimchuk
13. Hunter Shinkaruk
14. Emile Poirer
15. David Rittich
16. Tyler Wotherspoon
17. Matthew Phillips
18. Adam Ollas Mattson
19. Daniel Pribyl
20. Garnet Hathaway

Interesting amount of guys that moved up the list, especially considering Jankowski was the only graduate in the top 5, Fox the only minus in the 5-10 range and Kulak and Hathaway being the only other graduates. Poirier, Wotherspoon, AOM, Prybil definitely opened the latter half by being gone.

Biggest jumps belong to Phillips, Rittich and Dube.

For comparison sake, here is Flames Nation`s Top 20 and how they compare to our ranking:

1. Valimaki (Same)
2. Andersson (Same)
3. Mangiapane (+3)
4. Dube (-1)
5. Kylington (-1)
6. Foo (+2)
7. Phillips (+2)
8. Parsons (-3)
9. Gilles (-2)
10. Klimchuk (+1)
11. Gawdin (+1)
12. Lindstrom (+5)
13. Ruzicka (Same)
14. Joly (+1)
15. Zavgorodniy (+4)
16. Roman (Same)
17. Svenningsson (NR)
18. Petterssen (NR)
19. Koumontzis (NR)
20. Pospisil (Same)

So interesting notes:

- they were really close on their votes between Andersson and Valimaki
- They like Mangiapane more than us
- Goalies definitely less, and Rittich must be considered graduated by their ranking
- Lindstrom and Zavgorodniy more than us in the later rounds
- Tuulola didn`t make their top twenty. Rychel was acquired after they had begun.

FlamesNation Top 20 Prospects 2018: Final lists revealed

Overall, I feel mixed. Still really like Valimaki, Andersson and Dube`s chances overall, but the rest feel like longshots to be impact players outside of maybe the goalies. I feel like Gawdin and Phillips will either be much higher next year, or much lower, depending on how their first pro season goes. Interested to see who gets to play C on the first line amongst Dube, Gawdin, Phillips, or if it goes to a vet. Being between Mangiapane and Foo could be a really could line.

I definitely like our AHL depth a lot more this year than last, at least up front. We`ll see on the defensive side of things.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Parsons over Mangiapane after last season seems a bit crazy to me. And I would have the new draft picks higher.

But overall this is one of the better lists we’ve created IMO

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think it's pretty good :dunno:

While I think the pool is certainly lacking in bluechip forwards, it still has a lot of intriguing players. Some good variety anyway. Not a lot of size in the top forwards, but maybe that's signifying a shift in philosophy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think it's pretty good :dunno:

While I think the pool is certainly lacking in bluechip forwards, it still has a lot of intriguing players. Some good variety anyway. Not a lot of size in the top forwards, but maybe that's signifying a shift in philosophy.

The lacking of a bluechip forward, is what makes people undervalue our prospect pool.
A prospect pool with Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington should not be a bottom 5 pool.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The lacking of a bluechip forward, is what makes people undervalue our prospect pool.
A prospect pool with Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington should not be a bottom 5 pool.

I’d say we are right around 20.

Definitely we lack the star offensive power which hurts our pool to the common man. But we have two of the best two way prospects in Dube and Valimaki. And then if you looj at our 5-6 guys like Mangiapane and Kylington, and compare them to other teams, then I think our pool still looks pretty decent in comparison.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Final rankings

1. Valimaki (70.6%)(+3)
2. Andersson (74.5%)(+1)
3. Dube (51.5%)(+5)
4. Kylington (58.3%)(+1)
5. Parsons (51.5%)(-2)
6. Mangiapane (58.1%) (+3)
7. Gillies (37.1%, 58.1% in runoff) (-1)
8. Foo (48.5%)(+2)
9. Phillips (53.8%) (+8)
10. Rittich (36.7%) (+5)
11. Klimchuk (45.5%) (+1)
12. Gawdin (50.0%) (NA)
13. Ruzicka (31.6%, 57.9% in runoff) (NR)
14. Rychel (56.5%) (NA)
15. Joly (36.4%) (NR)
16. Roman (30.4%) (NA)
17. Lindstrom (35.5%) (NR)
18. Tuulola (47.4%) (NR)
19. Zavgorodniy (26.1%, 42.1% in runoff) (NA)
20. Pospisil (36.8%) (NA)

2017 Top 20:
1. Mark Jankowski
2. Tyler Parsons
3. Rasmus Andersson
4. Juuso Valimaki
5. Oliver Kylington
6. Jon Gillies
7. Adam Fox
8. Dillon Dube
9. Andrew Mangiapane
10. Spencer Foo
11. Brett Kulak
12. Morgan Klimchuk
13. Hunter Shinkaruk
14. Emile Poirer
15. David Rittich
16. Tyler Wotherspoon
17. Matthew Phillips
18. Adam Ollas Mattson
19. Daniel Pribyl
20. Garnet Hathaway

Interesting amount of guys that moved up the list, especially considering Jankowski was the only graduate in the top 5, Fox the only minus in the 5-10 range and Kulak and Hathaway being the only other graduates. Poirier, Wotherspoon, AOM, Prybil definitely opened the latter half by being gone.

Biggest jumps belong to Phillips, Rittich and Dube.

For comparison sake, here is Flames Nation`s Top 20 and how they compare to our ranking:

1. Valimaki (Same)
2. Andersson (Same)
3. Mangiapane (+3)
4. Dube (-1)
5. Kylington (-1)
6. Foo (+2)
7. Phillips (+2)
8. Parsons (-3)
9. Gilles (-2)
10. Klimchuk (+1)
11. Gawdin (+1)
12. Lindstrom (+5)
13. Ruzicka (Same)
14. Joly (+1)
15. Zavgorodniy (+4)
16. Roman (Same)
17. Svenningsson (NR)
18. Petterssen (NR)
19. Koumontzis (NR)
20. Pospisil (Same)

So interesting notes:

- they were really close on their votes between Andersson and Valimaki
- They like Mangiapane more than us
- Goalies definitely less, and Rittich must be considered graduated by their ranking
- Lindstrom and Zavgorodniy more than us in the later rounds
- Tuulola didn`t make their top twenty. Rychel was acquired after they had begun.

FlamesNation Top 20 Prospects 2018: Final lists revealed

Overall, I feel mixed. Still really like Valimaki, Andersson and Dube`s chances overall, but the rest feel like longshots to be impact players outside of maybe the goalies. I feel like Gawdin and Phillips will either be much higher next year, or much lower, depending on how their first pro season goes. Interested to see who gets to play C on the first line amongst Dube, Gawdin, Phillips, or if it goes to a vet. Being between Mangiapane and Foo could be a really could line.

I definitely like our AHL depth a lot more this year than last, at least up front. We`ll see on the defensive side of things.

what's the updated list look like halfway thru the season? biggest riser? disappointment? surprise?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
what's the updated list look like halfway thru the season? biggest riser? disappointment? surprise?

The top 4 of that list is dead on, maybe with Rittich moving into the top 3/4 discussion.
We got 4 surefire NHL'ers with even higher upsides alone from those 4 guys.

We undervalued Ritter, he was essentially the 3rd best goalie prospect we thought. He's clearly the number 1 guy.

Foo, Klimchuk were rated too high (Klimmer for sure I thought at that time).

On this board we tend not to include these late rounders from the previous draft, but the 5 guys we drafted last year would all have their stock increase.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
QYeah we actually had a sweet prospect pool and I think this year is proving that. Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington, 3 NHLers. Dillon Dube will be a stud one day, he’s basically the only prospect we have that is a lock NHLer after those 3 D-men.

After that there are some interesting names, specifically I like Mathias Emilio Pettersen, Pospisil and Zavgorodniy. I also think Ruzicka is a long term project but he also could be something in time.

At the pro level Andrew Mangiapane looks like a tweener NHLer but he definitely has some creativity. Matt Phillips would be my biggest riser.

Goaltending has gotta be the biggest dissapointment. But our D in the AHL is god awful and I don’t watch the games so who knows.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The top 4 of that list is dead on, maybe with Rittich moving into the top 3/4 discussion.
We got 4 surefire NHL'ers with even higher upsides alone from those 4 guys.

We undervalued Ritter, he was essentially the 3rd best goalie prospect we thought. He's clearly the number 1 guy.

Foo, Klimchuk were rated too high (Klimmer for sure I thought at that time).

On this board we tend not to include these late rounders from the previous draft, but the 5 guys we drafted last year would all have their stock increase.

it's pretty hard to rank a top 10 as most of these guys are probably leaning toward a "graduated" status.
valimaki, dube, mangiapane all played over 20 games already and look like legit NHLers to me.
andersson and kylington look like they belong, not sure what's happened with parsons/gillies but
figure they are both significantly lower. assuming those first 5 guys mentioned aren't included,
who would even be the top guy at this point? it's a testament to the flames drafting - they've quietly
done a really nice job compiling talent and have assimilated most of it already. i do love pettersen,
seems to have that "it" factor.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
it's pretty hard to rank a top 10 as most of these guys are probably leaning toward a "graduated" status.
valimaki, dube, mangiapane all played over 20 games already and look like legit NHLers to me.
andersson and kylington look like they belong, not sure what's happened with parsons/gillies but
figure they are both significantly lower. assuming those first 5 guys mentioned aren't included,
who would even be the top guy at this point? it's a testament to the flames drafting - they've quietly
done a really nice job compiling talent and have assimilated most of it already. i do love pettersen,
seems to have that "it" factor.

Depends on who you consider graduated to be honest.

If all the kids who’ve spent time in the NHL are considered graduates.. then... who knows. Right now probably Dubé as he’s playing in Stockton right now.

Reactions: neelynugs

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
What do you guys think of the upside of Peterson? Ppg in arguably the toughest NCAA division as a freshman. If this kid can continue improving, what kind of player have we got here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad