16. Joonas Korpisalo
  17. Daniel Zaar
  18. Blake Siebenaler
  19. Oliver Leblanc
  20. Elvis Merzlikins

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We killed it last year, only underrating Voronkov (and berni too if you want to be picky). We’re typically pretty good.

As for this year, the prospects themselves aren’t much to talk about after 7-8 people.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The ascents of Gavrikov and Peeke are interesting. Gavrikov: unranked -> 15 -> 5 -> 3 -> 2. Peeke: 18 -> 11 -> 8 -> 6 -> 4. A bit peculiar Peeke was ever ranked as low as he was when he was an early second-round pick.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The ascents of Gavrikov and Peeke are interesting. Gavrikov: unranked -> 15 -> 5 -> 3 -> 2. Peeke: 18 -> 11 -> 8 -> 6 -> 4. A bit peculiar Peeke was ever ranked as low as he was when he was an early second-round pick.

Peeke was seen as a reach at the time. I think he was thought of as a 3rd-4th rounder at the time.

Five picks after him in the draft? Alex DeBrincat.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think Peeke was seen as a huge reach where he was drafted, he was just on the high end of his expected range. You have a couple things pushing Peeke down the list - 1) extremely good depth, and 2) people overreacted to some of Jarmo's misses.

There was this idea that Jarmo couldn't draft D-men and couldn't draft in the late 1st/ 2nd round. He whiffed on Heatherington and Collins. Peeke was immediately labelled as the next in that series by several posters here.

Peeke was seen as a reach at the time. I think he was thought of as a 3rd-4th rounder at the time.

Five picks after him in the draft? Alex DeBrincat.

I wouldn't be shocked if a few years from now Peeke is seen as the better player compared to DeBrincat. Hawks fans sure seem to be trying to sell high on DeBrincat.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A *lot* of NHLers off of those '16 and '17 lists.

NHLers by year:
-'15: 8 if you count Sonny Milano and Dillon Heatherington, we were all sleeping on Elvis
-'16: 12 if you count Milano, Heatherington, and Andrew Peeke.
-'17: 10 if you include Milano, Peeke, and Kevin Stenlund (Tex and Bemstrom included), plus Kivlenieks is not included
'18: 7 + Foudy not included

Pretty impressive to have more than half of the list end up as regular or semi-regular NHLers. I stand by my prediction that the '20 pool will be viewed as pretty poor outside that top 7 or so. Maybe you get one surprise outside of that, but it still looks poor to me - and poorer than almost any of the previous 5+ years.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don't think Peeke was seen as a huge reach where he was drafted, he was just on the high end of his expected range. You have a couple things pushing Peeke down the list - 1) extremely good depth, and 2) people overreacted to some of Jarmo's misses.

There was this idea that Jarmo couldn't draft D-men and couldn't draft in the late 1st/ 2nd round. He whiffed on Heatherington and Collins. Peeke was immediately labelled as the next in that series by several posters here..

It was a fair label. They (Peeke and Collins) were extremely similar players in college. Had the same strengths and weaknesses. Peeke has just panned out better to this part of his career. I believe Peeke was supposed to be a third rounder or fourth before the draft. I could be wrong though.

Jarmo and CBJ scouts still do have a hard on for old style defensive defenseman with almost no offensive upside. Heatherington, Collins, Peeke, Carlsson, etc. only one of these guys MIGHT pan out. And the jackets are really banking on it working out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It was a fair label. They (Peeke and Collins) were extremely similar players in college. Had the same strengths and weaknesses. Peeke has just panned out better to this part of his career.

Maybe if you are just reading vaguely written scouting reports. I don't think you can watch them move ten feet on the ice and see a similar player. I'm not saying I knew Peeke was going to be much better, but he wasn't of the same type as Collins. The skating in particular was always on a different level.

I believe Peeke was supposed to be a third rounder or fourth before the draft. I could be wrong though.

I think his value ranged from something like 30-100 in that draft. A lot of players are all over the place like that. Anyways, I don't think there was/is anything wrong with some skepticism on Peeke, I just never liked the Heatherington = Collins = Peeke line of thinking.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Maybe if you are just reading vaguely written scouting reports. I don't think you can watch them move ten feet on the ice and see a similar player. I'm not saying I knew Peeke was going to be much better, but he wasn't of the same type as Collins. The skating in particular was always on a different level.

I think his value ranged from something like 30-100 in that draft. A lot of players are all over the place like that. Anyways, I don't think there was/is anything wrong with some skepticism on Peeke, I just never liked the Heatherington = Collins = Peeke line of thinking.

I’ll give you that Peekes skating was always above Collins’, and that he had higher upside. But Peeke was picked as a defense first guy, and while I know pinning all guys into three categories (OFD, DFD, TWD) is lazy and not accounting for each individual players specific skills and weaknesses. They weren’t carbon copies of each other, as evident by Peeke continuing to play well in college, and improve as a pro, while Collins was always very mediocre at best in college, and worse as a pro. The comparisons (at least in overall style of play) was still valid in my eyes, at least partially.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Final top-20 - with two tiebreakers that had to be run. :scared:
  1. Liam Foudy (LW/C)
  2. Kirill Marchenko (LW)
  3. Yegor Chinakhov (RW)
  4. Andrew Peeke (D)
  5. Dmitri Voronkov (LW)
  6. Daniil Tarasov (G)
  7. Veini Vehviläinen (G)
  8. Kevin Stenlund (C)
  9. Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
  10. Tim Berni (D)
  11. Samuel Knazko (D)
  12. Mikael Pyyhtia (C)
  13. Eric Hjorth (D)
  14. Gabriel Carlsson (D)
  15. Matiss Kivlenieks (G)
  16. Jacob Christiansen (D)
  17. Ryan MacInnis (C)
  18. Samuel Johannesson (D)
  19. Ole Julian Bjorgvik Holm (D)
  20. Kole Sherwood (RW)
[/spoiler]

@AndBoomGoesTheCannon - i'll ask the question here, since it's the better spot for it.
how much has changed since november? who's the biggest riser and biggest disappointment?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
@AndBoomGoesTheCannon - i'll ask the question here, since it's the better spot for it.
how much has changed since november? who's the biggest riser and biggest disappointment?

I think the rankings were fairly spot on, +/- a few spots. Foudy is probably the biggest disappointment, just because there are others on the list getting regular NHL time and he's in the AHL now. I suppose you could say Stenlund should be up a couple spot because he's an NHL regular now, though hasn't blown the doors off. Gabriel Carlsson and Ryan MacInnis, similarly, have had *some* NHL time this season, though they are older than others on the list ahead of them.

Reactions: neelynugs

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think the rankings were fairly spot on, +/- a few spots. Foudy is probably the biggest disappointment, just because there are others on the list getting regular NHL time and he's in the AHL now. I suppose you could say Stenlund should be up a couple spot because he's an NHL regular now, though hasn't blown the doors off. Gabriel Carlsson and Ryan MacInnis, similarly, have had *some* NHL time this season, though they are older than others on the list ahead of them.

really like marchenko and tarasov, think they don't get enough respect when talking prospects
around the league.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Good question. Not that much has changed, honestly.

Foudy was ranked #1 in a very flat group, he wasn't expected to score much this year. He was useful at the NHL level, he's playing in Cleveland to develop, where 20 year old kids belong.

Marchenko should have gone #1, but it's a flat group either way.

Voronkov and Chinakhov have continued on their promising track.

Peeke has looked good, just unfortunately hasn't seen enough games in the last year because of injuries/pandemic. I'm very confident he's soon to be a top 4 D.

Tarasov might just have made it a group of six at the top. I personally thought he was a clear #6 last year but now he's made it in the top tier.

VV was overrated by many, I think. We'll see what he can do but I don't think there's starter upside there and that hasn't changed at least in my mind.

Stenlund hasn't changed.

Fix-Wolansky is a riser for sure. 9 pts in 9 games in the AHL ought to be worth something. Another guy to keep an eye on is Tyler Angle. He wasn't on our list in the Fall but is off to a great start in Cleveland. Looks like a sparkplug forward, perhaps another in the Matt Calvert mold.

As far as disappointments go - Tim Berni still can't seem to make top pair in Switzerland, and can't score. And Mikael Pyyhtia looked like one of the weakest players at the WJC.

Overall the pool looks a bit stronger now, mostly on the strength of the Russians, who as you know are all trending very well.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Good question. Not that much has changed, honestly.

Foudy was ranked #1 in a very flat group, he wasn't expected to score much this year. He was useful at the NHL level, he's playing in Cleveland to develop, where 20 year old kids belong.

Marchenko should have gone #1, but it's a flat group either way.

Voronkov and Chinakhov have continued on their promising track.

Peeke has looked good, just unfortunately hasn't seen enough games in the last year because of injuries/pandemic. I'm very confident he's soon to be a top 4 D.

Tarasov might just have made it a group of six at the top. I personally thought he was a clear #6 last year but now he's made it in the top tier.

VV was overrated by many, I think. We'll see what he can do but I don't think there's starter upside there and that hasn't changed at least in my mind.

Stenlund hasn't changed.

Fix-Wolansky is a riser for sure. 9 pts in 9 games in the AHL ought to be worth something. Another guy to keep an eye on is Tyler Angle. He wasn't on our list in the Fall but is off to a great start in Cleveland. Looks like a sparkplug forward, perhaps another in the Matt Calvert mold.

As far as disappointments go - Tim Berni still can't seem to make top pair in Switzerland, and can't score. And Mikael Pyyhtia looked like one of the weakest players at the WJC.

Overall the pool looks a bit stronger now, mostly on the strength of the Russians, who as you know are all trending very well.

great recap. i really liked johannesson when looking into his draft year - how's he trending?
also, do you think kivlenieks will be a legit backup? wonder if seattle has interest, he's a bit
of a wild card for me.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Russian, IMHO:

1. Tarasov
2. Voronkov
3. Chinakhov
4. Marchenko

Voronkov is really great, tough, strong but skill. He has good skating, one plays good in PPG (in the front of the net), SHG. And...what's very serious, his coach is Dmitri Kvartalnov who can teach young players, like to work with them and give them chances.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If Russian, IMHO:

1. Tarasov
2. Voronkov
3. Chinakhov
4. Marchenko

Voronkov is really great, tough, strong but skill. He has good skating, one plays good in PPG (in the front of the net), SHG. And...what's very serious, his coach is Dmitri Kvartalnov who can teach young players, like to work with them and give them chances.

How did you come to that ranking? Their probability of reaching NHL success? I agree that Marchenko has the highest "bust" potential but he also could be a first line winger if he "booms"

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
How did you come to that ranking? Their probability of reaching NHL success? I agree that Marchenko has the highest "bust" potential but he also could be a first line winger if he "booms"
I follow KHL. What`s happen Marchenko you are right but I believe Voronkov more. I don`t know if he`ll be the first line player, but he`s two-way player with very good potential. What is serious he can play the center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
great recap. i really liked johannesson when looking into his draft year - how's he trending?
also, do you think kivlenieks will be a legit backup? wonder if seattle has interest, he's a bit
of a wild card for me.

Kiv could become a backup, but that's it and I don't think that's worth that much.

Johannesson I haven't heard anything new about.

Marchenko is a well rounded player, I don't think there's more bust potential with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad