Proposal: Filpulla for Bailey

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Valteri Filpulla 5mil for 2 years for Josh Bailey 3.3mil for 2 years?

I hear Islander fans constantly saying they want Bailey gone and with Nielson leaving, Grabovski having health issues Filppula could be a short term replacement who can be a 2/3C. Had his worst season for us last year but can be a 40 point player which makes his deal better than it was last year. For Tampa they get 1.7 in cap savings the next two years, allows Namestnikov to be the 3C with Bailey being a player who fills in where needed but also has a cheaper buyout if they wanted to go that route.

Filpulla does have a Modified NTC, NMC so might need to be protected, nobody knows the full details if it requires protection or not, but I don't see 7 forwards the Islanders would want to protect so it shouldn't be an issue if you needed to protect him.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
If there is any chance he must be protected then there is no deal to happen here.
Bailey will not be protected

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We already have a 5m per season marginal center signed for two more seasons in Grabovski, so pass from the Islanders

Thought he might be on LTIR all season if not most of it so you'd need a replacement?

Filpulla was only marginal last year, he was at Nielson's level the past few years so he would be his replacement.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
no interest for me not for two years of bailey can get more for filppula give it a little bit

Bailey is a winger so with Namestnikov as the 3C Bailey can play 3rd line LW and add some bottom 6 scoring. Then his buyout is cheap or we try to trade him or her gets picked in expansion.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No thanks if Filp needs to be protected. Isles are already gonna be struggling seeing as they'll have to go the 8+1 route

Figured they protect Boychuk, Led dynamic and Harmonic. Hickey isn't a must protect, Pullock possibly exempt and De Haan an RFA so not a prime target as he might not be interested in signing. Filpulla also might not need protecting, most NMC become modified NTC their last year so he might not need protecting.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Figured they protect Boychuk, Led dynamic and Harmonic. Hickey isn't a must protect, Pullock possibly exempt and De Haan an RFA so not a prime target as he might not be interested in signing. Filpulla also might not need protecting, most NMC become modified NTC their last year so he might not need protecting.

I would be willing to bet that if Hickey is not protected, he will be claimed. Islanders should try to hang onto him.

Really no reason to get Filp when they have Grabovski anyways.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would be willing to bet that if Hickey is not protected, he will be claimed. Islanders should try to hang onto him.

My reasoning was that I heard Grabovski's health was a concern. If he can't go you'd need a replacement and Filppula would be a good enough one to offset his loss but more Nielsen so you guys can make the playoffs again.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

The Islanders might have to expose both de Haan and Hickey, depending on whether Ryan Pulock is exempt or not. de Haan would go before Hickey in that case.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't know if Filppula would need to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft or not, but assuming he isn't, the other way NYI looks at a deal like this is if Barzal doesn't make the team out of camp, and Halak's salary is moved.

Filppula's offense has dried up because of Tampa's insane crop of forwards, but for a team that hasn't replaced Frans Nielsen yet, he could be a fit.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't know if Filppula would need to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft or not, but assuming he isn't, the other way NYI looks at a deal like this is if Barzal doesn't make the team out of camp, and Halak's salary is moved.

Filppula's offense has dried up because of Tampa's insane crop of forwards, but for a team that hasn't replaced Frans Nielsen yet, he could be a fit.

He does as far as I know

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Valteri Filpulla 5mil for 2 years for Josh Bailey 3.3mil for 2 years?

I hear Islander fans constantly saying they want Bailey gone and with Nielson leaving, Grabovski having health issues Filppula could be a short term replacement who can be a 2/3C. Had his worst season for us last year but can be a 40 point player which makes his deal better than it was last year. For Tampa they get 1.7 in cap savings the next two years, allows Namestnikov to be the 3C with Bailey being a player who fills in where needed but also has a cheaper buyout if they wanted to go that route.

Filpulla does have a Modified NTC, NMC so might need to be protected, nobody knows the full details if it requires protection or not, but I don't see 7 forwards the Islanders would want to protect so it shouldn't be an issue if you needed to protect him.

Tampa has no need for Bailey and Islanders don't need Filpulla! Snow will wait To see how The situation shakes out with 4 big players sill needing to be signed. Killorn, Kucherov, Namestnikov, and Nesterov all will command much bigger paychecks! Stevie Y will have to find a way to get them under the cap with 62 mill plus already accounted for. Kucherov alone should be 4 to 5 million! It is most likely a player or 2 will have to be moved for players with entry level contracts or picks.

If Tampa has any interest in any Islanders you can bet Bailey is not on that List! You can start the List with Strome, Pulock, Barzal, Josh Ho Sang, Dal Colle just like all the other teams looking at The Islanders.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Tampa has no need for Bailey and Islanders don't need Filpulla! Snow will wait To see how The situation shakes out with 4 big players sill needing to be signed. Killorn, Kucherov, Namestnikov, and Nesterov all will command much bigger paychecks! Stevie Y will have to find a way to get them under the cap with 62 mill plus already accounted for. Kucherov alone should be 4 to 5 million! It is most likely a player or 2 will have to be moved for players with entry level contracts or picks.

If Tampa has any interest in any Islanders you can bet Bailey is not on that List! You can start the List with Strome, Pulock, Barzal, Josh Ho Sang, Dal Colle just like all the other teams looking at The Islanders.

Kucherov will probably get 6+ million 8 year deal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Tampa doesn't need Bailey but he's cheaper than Filppula by 1.7 so would be better for the team to sign those 4 as you say. We will have room to sign them all and fit them under the cap next season, it will be tight be we can make it work and Callahan will be on LTIR to start the year.

The Islanders haven't replaced Nielsen yet and with Grabovski having injury issues Filppula might be a good option. The Islanders players you mentioned are great but we wouldn't want to pay the price it would take to acquire them that's why a Filpulla for Bailey trade makes more sense as its two players both fanbase want gone.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what about Strome, Nelson and Barzel at center?

Can't one of them slot in?

Not ignorant.

Strome and Barzal are natural centers and while I prefer Nelson on the wing, the coaching staff likes his size down the middle as well.

The only problem is the Islanders just lost their top defensive center who ate up a lot of minutes and tough defensive assignments behind Tavares, and Strome, Nelson, and Barzal are all young, inconsistent, offensive oriented centers. The Islanders went into last season reliant on the production of guys like Strome, Nelson, and Lee and got hung out to dry. Nelson did have 26 goals, but was invisible for long periods of time thorughout the season, and basically the entire time down the stretch. Strome was just downright nothing like the forward we saw in his 50 point season where his Points/60 was unreal and he looked real good in all three zones.

Obviously, at some point, you have to see what the kids can do, but I'd be afraid to give rely on Strome, Nelson, Lee, or even Barzal in legitimate capacities if this team's endgoal is to win the Stanley Cup.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
Maybe I'm ignorant, but what about Strome, Nelson and Barzel at center?

Can't one of them slot in?

Exactly ! Islanders have a Glut of Left wings and Centers. Strome is a natural center playing right wing and so is Bailey. Bailey is Horrible Defensively so if any team wants him I will Uber Bailey to the airport for Free!

Islanders will wait to see how things shake out but can wait for the season to start. Brazal is better then Strome and Bailey and if they don't want him for the big team he will have to go back to juniors cause of his age and going back would be a mistake.

Stevie Y will no doubt have to lose no less then 2 players and if Kucherov gets 6 mill then Tampa's cap is up to 68.5 mill with still Killorn, Namestnikov, and Nesterov to sign so how does that work ?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Not ignorant.

Strome and Barzal are natural centers and while I prefer Nelson on the wing, the coaching staff likes his size down the middle as well.

The only problem is the Islanders just lost their top defensive center who ate up a lot of minutes and tough defensive assignments behind Tavares, and Strome, Nelson, and Barzal are all young, inconsistent, offensive oriented centers. The Islanders went into last season reliant on the production of guys like Strome, Nelson, and Lee and got hung out to dry. Nelson did have 26 goals, but was invisible for long periods of time thorughout the season, and basically the entire time down the stretch. Strome was just downright nothing like the forward we saw in his 50 point season where his Points/60 was unreal and he looked real good in all three zones.

Obviously, at some point, you have to see what the kids can do, but I'd be afraid to give rely on Strome, Nelson, Lee, or even Barzal in legitimate capacities if this team's endgoal is to win the Stanley Cup.

Ok, understandable.

Exactly ! Islanders have a Glut of Left wings and Centers. Strome is a natural center playing right wing and so is Bailey. Bailey is Horrible Defensively so if any team wants him I will Uber Bailey to the airport for Free!

Islanders will wait to see how things shake out but can wait for the season to start. Brazal is better then Strome and Bailey and if they don't want him for the big team he will have to go back to juniors cause of his age and going back would be a mistake.

Stevie Y will no doubt have to lose no less then 2 players and if Kucherov gets 6 mill then Tampa's cap is up to 68.5 mill with still Killorn, Namestnikov, and Nesterov to sign so how does that work ?

I have no idea. Not a Tampa fan.

I was curious because I figured one of Nelson, Strome, or even Barzel could audition on the 2nd line. Also figured Cizikas would be slotting as the 3rd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad