Dreger: Filppula rejected a deal to Montreal too

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
MTL might have the best goalie but the offense is questionable. Toronto, I can see with a young team and maybe Babcock was a reason as well. Leino and Timonen gave him good reviews of playing in Philly. He can come in and be good player but not expected to put up big numbers. He looked great last night.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I was being sarcastic, since we've now got people honestly saying the NHL needs to make individual salary caps due to tax differences.

I think taxes were at the bottom of the list in things that Filppula considered, but that's obviously not possible because who would turn down playing in Montreal otherwise?

I find it amusing that people honestly believe thats the only reason he blocked Toronto and Montreal. They truly believe that everyone is dying to play in their cities but every time they want someone who rejects them they have these odd excuses.

There are excuses for every city but usually it's a handful of people rather than half the fanbase like it is in this situation. Do we see LA and NY fans say players won't sign there because of the cost of living? Do Arizona and Dallas fans complain when a player doesn't sign because it's too hot? How about the Florida teams complaining because nobody wants to play there because of the travel to other "Atlantic" cities.

Could the taxes be a facotr? Sure, but to say it's the only reason is ridiculous. If it was that big of a deal to players, nobody would ever sign as a FA for Canadian teams.

The fact is, whether our friends to the North want to believe it or not, very few players care to make it a priority to play for a Canadian team, especially a guy like Filppula who is Finnish.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I mean I personally think it would be a big sell to play in a place like Montreal or Toronto (or any Canadian team) but for the right player. Some people will love the spotlight. Other people might not. Filppula strikes me as a dude who would value being able to go shopping or go out with his family without constant attention.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
There's Canadian born players that don't want to play for a Canadian team. We've all heard about American NBA and MLB players that don't want to play in Canada.

Heck, a lot of Canadian refs and linesmen have moved to the states.

Canadian players on US teams have full time residences in the states but usually American players on the Blue Jays and Raptors, though living in Canada during the season head home in the off season.

Might be the weather (though why do so many retire in NY, Michigan etc) Might be taxes but then again you have high taxes in NY and CA.
Might be "not wanting to be in the limelight" but how do major league pros in baseball and basketball handle that in major US cities?

We're looking for answers and quite frankly maybe players just don't want to play/live in Canada.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Man this plug thinks he is some kind of a super star. Plugs are plugs and he is one of them, you pull them when you don't need them because they don't help your team win barely anything. RIP Plugpulla.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I find it amusing that people honestly believe thats the only reason he blocked Toronto and Montreal. They truly believe that everyone is dying to play in their cities but every time they want someone who rejects them they have these odd excuses.

There are excuses for every city but usually it's a handful of people rather than half the fanbase like it is in this situation. Do we see LA and NY fans say players won't sign there because of the cost of living? Do Arizona and Dallas fans complain when a player doesn't sign because it's too hot? How about the Florida teams complaining because nobody wants to play there because of the travel to other "Atlantic" cities.

Could the taxes be a facotr? Sure, but to say it's the only reason is ridiculous. If it was that big of a deal to players, nobody would ever sign as a FA for Canadian teams.

The fact is, whether our friends to the North want to believe it or not, very few players care to make it a priority to play for a Canadian team, especially a guy like Filppula who is Finnish.

Not that I disagree with your whole post but Dallas has the very thing you're saying might not be that important, which is no state income tax. And frankly, the weather from start to finish during hockey season could be a big selling point as the winters are mild and fall and spring are gorgeous weather-wise. It does get hot deep into the playoffs though, but that seems to be a case of an obvious balancing out.

Also, the line about Canadian teams having a really hard time signing free agents if taxes are that important to players has been covered already. Players in both countries are paid in USD and the Canadian dollar is very weak relative to US at the moment. For example, $6 million US is over $8 million Canadian right now.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I find it amusing, and downright ignorant, that people believe Habs and Leafs fans think everyone wants to play in our cities. Most NHL players don't want the Canadian media hounding them. And I don't blame them one bit. You wanna go and hide in Arizona or Dallas with almost no scrutiny? That's your choice. I'd do the same.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I imagine he wanted no part of the Leafs in big part to Babcock, I don't think he cared for Babcock when in Detroit.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Most NHL players feel this way period.
There's Canadian born players that don't want to play for a Canadian team. We've all heard about American NBA and MLB players that don't want to play in Canada.

Heck, a lot of Canadian refs and linesmen have moved to the states.

Canadian players on US teams have full time residences in the states but usually American players on the Blue Jays and Raptors, though living in Canada during the season head home in the off season.

Might be the weather (though why do so many retire in NY, Michigan etc) Might be taxes but then again you have high taxes in NY and CA.
Might be "not wanting to be in the limelight" but how do major league pros in baseball and basketball handle that in major US cities?

We're looking for answers and quite frankly maybe players just don't want to play/live in Canada.
The truth, and it hurts. Canada never gets top flight FAs anymore.

Not that I disagree with your whole post but Dallas has the very thing you're saying might not be that important, which is no state income tax. And frankly, the weather from start to finish during hockey season could be a big selling point as the winters are mild and fall and spring are gorgeous weather-wise. It does get hot deep into the playoffs though, but that seems to be a case of an obvious balancing out.

Also, the line about Canadian teams having a really hard time signing free agents if taxes are that important to players has been covered already. Players in both countries are paid in USD and the Canadian dollar is very weak relative to US at the moment. For example, $6 million US is over $8 million Canadian right now.

Dallas is a big market team, they will always be front of the line. Plus a lot of guys love playing there.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Man this plug thinks he is some kind of a super star. Plugs are plugs and he is one of them, you pull them when you don't need them because they don't help your team win barely anything. RIP Plugpulla.

Valtteri Filppula: 1 Stanley Cup
Toronto Maple Leafs in last ~50 years: 0 Stanley Cup

You wouldn't even need a player who's won it, right?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Dreger is one of the most connected guys in the business I doubt he was speculating

To be fair, Renaud Lavoie is also one of the most connected guys in the business and has much stronger connections to the Canadiens organization.

And just because someone is connected, doesn't mean they don't speculate. Those kinds of assumptions drive guys like Friedman and Bobby Mac crazy.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Now that I've had a lot of time to think about it, this doesn't surprise me...

Because Tampa is known for having really low income tax compared to the rest of America, America is known for having really low income tax compared to Canada, and Quebec is known for having really high income tax compared to the rest of Canada.

Is my logic OK there? Or did I miss something?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To be fair, Renaud Lavoie is also one of the most connected guys in the business and has much stronger connections to the Canadiens organization.

And just because someone is connected, doesn't mean they don't speculate. Those kinds of assumptions drive guys like Friedman and Bobby Mac crazy.

but dreger did not speculate he said there was a deal agreed to they fippula rejected

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Valtteri Filppula: 1 Stanley Cup
Toronto Maple Leafs in last ~50 years: 0 Stanley Cup

You wouldn't even need a player who's won it, right?

Bryan Bickell: 3 Cups
Every other franchise except Chicago in the last 15 years: < 3 Cups

Weird how Bickell was included as a cap dump.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Highly doubt we were interested in him unless it was in a trade for Plekanec. We have enough of one Plekanec we don't need another one.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Now that I've had a lot of time to think about it, this doesn't surprise me...

Because Tampa is known for having really low income tax compared to the rest of America, America is known for having really low income tax compared to Canada, and Quebec is known for having really high income tax compared to the rest of Canada.

Is my logic OK there? Or did I miss something?

Just the fact that it's entirely possible taxes had nothing to do with his decision.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
but dreger did not speculate he said there was a deal agreed to they fippula rejected

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, I'm just saying that insiders do speculate. And Lavoie is the same level of insider as Dreger and more connected to the Canadiens organization. He's more connected to Tampa too for that matter. And he's directly refuting Dreger (or the insinuation that Montreal had interest). Which makes sense, since Montreal probably doesn't want to commit cap space or an expansion slot on Filppula. He's basically a cheaper Plekanec.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Whatever the reason(I'd guess tax rate), it's nice to have him in Philly. He can still play and he's looked like a much needed addition. Too bad about the rest of the much needed additions and subtractions we need to make.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Just the fact that it's entirely possible taxes had nothing to do with his decision.

That is entirely possible but when he signed that contract with Tampa I'm sure he and his agent were taking taxes into account when they made their demands.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This report actually makes sense. I can see him not wanting to go to that place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad